The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I/we would have stayed. I have been in my current association for 8 years and have not heard of one instance where the umpires have refused a delay.

I had a paricular DHer with a partner I had to talk into it. Do to a scheduling conflict we had 4 teams at a field, two seperate associations showing to officiate. Two of the teams (not ours, local league), both utilized this field solely. Our teams (travel squads) played at various venue's, the one visiting team's home field was available, we went and played, about 15 miles further, we were compensated for the extra travel. Near two hour late start.
Now which bozo's ya gonna punish on a Saturday, the school district that schedules the fields or some coache/teams that what? Failed to call everyday after they'd been sent a schedule of field avails?

In short, I don't overbook or accept assignments which have any chance of interfering with my life. Our association is lucky enough, we "rarely" (knock on wood) have to cover multiple fields, nor many umpires that try and force their way into to many assigments, and we don't have more than say 40 miles tops in any direction.

So what ever your association does is what you do.

The association I used when I was hiring:
I hour notice to assignor (including a message machine) of no game, no charge, even if umpire/s showed up.
Show up and no game, 1/2 price plus/travel.
Show up and have to stop, full price/travel.
Rescheduled game, which we paid for once already (maybe), full price/travel.
Won protest, no charge.

This association would not assign more that 2 games per day for an umpire.
We had one man and two man games, which we staggerd on the weekends. Went from one man full price/travel, next game the solo guy from previous game full price/no travel, partner full price/travel, next game the same etc.