The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Helluva tidbit for $4000.

I ain't wrong. Been doing this for 30 years, Summer World Series finals, HS State tournaments, some D2 as I've gotten older, etc.

Just because you paid some guys that work one base to tell you how to umpire don't necessarily mean they're right.

Have great games.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump

I ain't wrong. Been doing this for 30 years, Summer World Series finals, HS State tournaments, some D2 as I've gotten older, etc.

Just because you paid some guys that work one base to tell you how to umpire don't necessarily mean they're right.

Have great games.
So why don't you enlighten all of us that work "incorrectly" (in your humble opinion), how do you do it? Please, enlighten a fellow 30 year veteran!
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Pay attention Ozzy, I already did. Here, I'll copy and paste it for you.

Quote:
That's why I'm not turning my head to glance at a runner I can hear if he advances. I see no reason to glance and I am seldom caught off guard.

I understand and have read the PBUC Red Book mechanics regarding glancing. I do not glance. When I am in B or C, I am closer to everyone on the field to the ball with the exception of the pitcher. I have ears. I have no reason to glance at a runner I can hear.

At my age, I am going to watch the ball. Absolutely nothing is going to happen that requires my attention without the ball
Also, I didn't say in any of my posts that anyone was working "incorrectly", I said, don't do it (peeking) and reasons why I don't.

Pay attention.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Much ado...

Yeeeshhh....This has taken up multiple pages? There might be a recommended method, but like many issues in officiating, whatever works for you. If one prefers to take a quick glance at R2, so? Hopefully theyve arrived at that choice through trial and error, and find that works best for them. Or not. Doesnt make someone better than someone else, just as the ridiculous argument of using an indicator or not, makes someone better.

Slight tip that I use with R2. And it helps, me anyways. With R2, I will turn to take a look. But, instead of trying to get R2 in my sight, I turn my head slightly to the right, and pick up the area R2 would be running into, if he were going. If R2 "comes into frame", I start towards my spot for the steal of 3rd. I get that extra step, and am always set, waiting for the play. Huge difference.

If he doesnt, I stay put. If he is going "late", I move when I recognize the steal. Usually on this, R2 is toast. Ive done it enough where I got the timing down. Hey, theres that "timing" thingy...

Just my observation..works for me....your mileage may vary.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Stick around

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1
Yeeeshhh....This has taken up multiple pages? There might be a recommended method, but like many issues in officiating, whatever works for you. If one prefers to take a quick glance at R2, so? Hopefully theyve arrived at that choice through trial and error, and find that works best for them. Or not. Doesnt make someone better than someone else, just as the ridiculous argument of using an indicator or not, makes someone better.

Just my observation..works for me....your mileage may vary.
Discussion will change to check swing appeals while in B or C. You'll need a sundial to track opinions.

I face F1 standing heel to toe. I'm too fat, too old and too slow to stand around w/my hands on my knees. I stand tall and set like a R or F3 w/my lower arms angled downward.

Two-steps on a pickoff, short left first and then large right/turn into 1B. I'm calling safe unless I was sure of an out at 1B. I bite my lip at the acting job by F1/F3 and their teammates.

Short rocker left-step on a pitch home, ready to move into the working area if the ball is put in play. I either reset if its not in play or move toward 1B for the throw across the IF; stopping as soon as F raises his glove to squeeze the catch. I should be still by the time I hear the mitt pop while trying to focus on the BR's front foot.

Young PU has the 2nd call at 3B or 2nd call at 1B across IF cause I don't like them sittin' back there watching the game. I want them anticipating situations or reading players. Older gentlemen get more latitude.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 11:32am.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Also, I didn't say in any of my posts that anyone was working "incorrectly", I said, don't do it (peeking) and reasons why I don't.

Pay attention.

Then I'm wondering what this was supposed to mean.

Quote:

If you're so insecure in your abilities as an umpire that you have to peak at R1 or R2, you have more serious issues.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Sorry to derail this a bit... but OJD said I was wrong for not moving with the runner...

I was told as I was become certified by our clinician to not move from C until you knew the pitch would not be put in play, and never told otherwise since.

Do I need to be moving with that runner? How much with him (keeping in mind I may still have a call at first to make in two man)?

I do know to get to the 45 foot line and turn with the throw.

Help?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Sorry to derail this a bit... but OJD said I was wrong for not moving with the runner...

I was told as I was become certified by our clinician to not move from C until you knew the pitch would not be put in play, and never told otherwise since.

Do I need to be moving with that runner? How much with him (keeping in mind I may still have a call at first to make in two man)?

Help?
Doubt you'll get that far, but know what you mean about the angle. JMOHO, steps won't hurt. Running? No, way too dangerous.

Saw a varsity umpire set up between F6 and F5. PU w/ years of experience didn't tell him anything. Of course the guy probably meant well, but if he isn't standing in a proper C alignment, he might as well set up right behind the pitcher.

Seems to me, the catcher's throw takes you to F5's glove and F5's glove takes you to the tag. Bang 'em if he's out {just sell it}.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 12:26pm.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11

Help?
No you don't want to move with the runner. Stay put, watch the ball and let it take you to where you need to be.

Its all about angles, not how close you can get to the play.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's all about angles, and that's why you move to the 45 when the runner breaks. If you wait for the ball to take you there, you won't have the angle.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Have great games.

Well lets see, last time I checked Jim Evans worked more than one base, and it would be my guess just a game or two more than you. Oh and lets not forget a couple World Series, an ALCS or two. Oh yearh and them there All Star games, yeah I paid the guy, damn proud of it also. He says your wrong, PBUC says your wrong, but thats OK.. IMHO
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Well lets see, last time I checked Jim Evans worked more than one base, and it would be my guess just a game or two more than you. Oh and lets not forget a couple World Series, an ALCS or two. Oh yearh and them there All Star games, yeah I paid the guy, damn proud of it also. He says your wrong, PBUC says your wrong, but thats OK.. IMHO
I paid him too, and I'll gladly do it again. I remember Jim describing it as 1 year of experience 30 times.

BTW, NOT taking a peek at R2 will get you dinged on your NCAA eval.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:44pm

The peekers are right. The non-peekers are wrong. I think everyone is being a peeker head about the whole thing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:50pm

The proper way to stand in B and C is facing the plate w/shoulders perpendicular to the plate. Just draw that line from the plate through right around the edge area of the mound, depending on the mound circumference and straddle it facing the plate. Then turn your head to watch the pitcher. It's just that easy. None of this "squared up with the foul line" nonsense. You should be ready to make an athletic movement in either direction when the ball is hit, and that's awfully hard to do if your body is misaligned.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Have great games.
I know some guys who've worked the HS state tournament in TN. Wouldn't hire them to work LL. Just sayin'.