The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Source of a rules myth?

Got to call a real serious, high pressure, high stakes tournament this weekend.

Dixie 7-8 machine pitch allstars.

In all seriousness, it was fun, kids played hard and besides one coach acting like it was game 7 of the world series on out/safe calls, things went fine.

After my last game I was told by our district director that he had a protest lodged on a game at another 7-8 tournament in another town. The protesting coach claimed that a player should have been out because he slid into first base. In Dixie we do have the no head first slide rule so I asked if this was the situation and was told no, kid simply slid in at first base, feet first, legal slide, clearly safe, etc, etc. Protest was of course denied. The other coach was livid and insistent that it was a rule that you could not slide into first base. .

So..does anyone know where this myth came from? is there a rule set somewhere, maybe a form of softball or something, that says no sliding at first, or is this just something that has developed on its own accord over the years?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeves1973
Got to call a real serious, high pressure, high stakes tournament this weekend.

Dixie 7-8 machine pitch allstars.

In all seriousness, it was fun, kids played hard and besides one coach acting like it was game 7 of the world series on out/safe calls, things went fine.

After my last game I was told by our district director that he had a protest lodged on a game at another 7-8 tournament in another town. The protesting coach claimed that a player should have been out because he slid into first base. In Dixie we do have the no head first slide rule so I asked if this was the situation and was told no, kid simply slid in at first base, feet first, legal slide, clearly safe, etc, etc. Protest was of course denied. The other coach was livid and insistent that it was a rule that you could not slide into first base. .

So..does anyone know where this myth came from? is there a rule set somewhere, maybe a form of softball or something, that says no sliding at first, or is this just something that has developed on its own accord over the years?
Add that one to the list of rules myths...I haven't heard that one in a few years. I don't know where is came from however. LL coaches are great for pulling out myths and using them as facts.

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Special place in Hell

There is a special entrance to the gates of HELL for anyone who ever PROTESTED a 7 year old baseball game. I wish I could see it... Peter at gates of heaven, NEXT... guy walks up, staff going over life.. ok, seems fine, no major problems.. WAIT! WHAT'S THIS? You PROTESTED a 7 year old baseball game? Off you go to ETERNAL DAMNATION and HELL FIRE!

Anyway.. I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes...

Quote:
he had a protest lodged on a game at another 7-8 tournament in another town. The protesting coach claimed that a player should have been out because he slid into first base.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
There is a special entrance to the gates of HELL for anyone who ever PROTESTED a 7 year old baseball game. I wish I could see it... Peter at gates of heaven, NEXT... guy walks up, staff going over life.. ok, seems fine, no major problems.. WAIT! WHAT'S THIS? You PROTESTED a 7 year old baseball game? Off you go to ETERNAL DAMNATION and HELL FIRE!

It'll be a crowded line.

I was tournament director for our local league a few years back when we hosted a T-Ball allstar tournament, all 5 and 6 yr olds. In the course of 4 days we had 7 protests lodged. One was valid and accepted.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The beginning of the problem as I see it is "T-BALL All-Stars" in the first place. Give me a break!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Another myth is that the world needs machine-pitch All-Star tournaments.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It'll be a crowded line.

I was tournament director for our local league a few years back when we hosted a T-Ball allstar tournament, all 5 and 6 yr olds. In the course of 4 days we had 7 protests lodged. One was valid and accepted.
Do I dare ask what the valid protest was?

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It'll be a crowded line.

Umpires for 5 and 6 year olds, huh? I can imagine what the game fees are for that. I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with a pointed stick than umpire something like that or even watch someone umpire something like that.

It will be a crowded line, for certain.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Another myth is that machine pitch needs umpires.
Freshened that up a bit for you.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Do I dare ask what the valid protest was?

-Josh
If I remember correctly the BU called R1 out when a batted ball hit R1 going to second AFTER the ball had gone between the legs of F3 who tried to catch the grounder and missed. Coach protested it, call overturned and R1 put back on second.

Again, I have slept since then.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran

LOVE IT!

Back to the original post. My thought would be the myth comes from ignorant coaches who were ignorant players. When they were a wee lil lad their coach told them "You don't slide into first" This being a logical statement as you will maintain your speed while overrunning the base. Over the years their pea sized braind substituted the word don't from their coaches with the word can't and have not thought about the logic behind what their coach told them years ago.

Even Tim McCarver wouldn't say something that dumb.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
Even Tim McCarver wouldn't say something that dumb.
bite your tongue
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 06:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Another myth is that the world needs machine-pitch All-Star tournaments.
I don't know about that. We have them out here (Pinto League) and some of these kids can really play some ball. Their All-Star games are usually very competitive and even exciting to watch/umpire. Many Pinto All-Stars go on to be standout HS players later on.

I think machine pitch is much better than coach pitch or heaven forbid, kid pitch at this age, as the kids get to see much more consistent pitches to help groove their swings.

And the coaches are often real butts, but aren't they all?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
To be fair, I actually had a 18 year old F3 ask me last week, after a steal in which I banged out R1 (kid never slid, little bit hesitant on the new rubber astroturf stuff, but I digress), "He was out because he didn't slide right".

At first, I thought he meant if the kid had sliden he might have gotten in there. I replied "Guess we'll never know...".

He replied, "No, its a rule right?"

Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Like players and coaches read the rules? 5-6 yr. olds can't read anyway, they're excused, but for the rest of them....