View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
The Smitty Chronicles

Loved Tuss' Smitty thread. It made me think of incompetent or over-the-hill officials I have known.

The ones who pi$$ me off most are the shopworn vets who love to dispense advice.

There was a guy in my area who was the best ump around--all you had to do was ask him. He came to spectate at a HS game I was doing and chastised me between innings for wearing a watch. I didn't take it off. After the game he asked me how I dare defy him. I calmly said, "Well, sport, if I take your advice and really follow it, I'll end up being just as mediocre as you are."

I knew a similar guy who did hoops. I was on his board. Once I watched him do a key state game where he totally botched a player DQ. At the next meeting, the same ref went into a longish screed about fouling-out procedure, citing his own botched work (but not referring to himself). I knew I was leaving the board soon, so I stood up and asked, "Hey Frank--who worked that game?" He sat down, speechless, and the room cracked up.

I worked on that same board with a sharp, young ref who couldn't BUY a varsity game. So he quit, went to a camp and was doing D-2 college a couple of years later. I watched him do a game in my area and one of the board honchos came up to me and said, "Hey Ace, isn't that Harry Refname out there?" After I assented, he said, "But he's a jayvee official!"

I said, "Not anymore."

Ace