The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
All of us are newbies at one point. I have plenty of experience umpiring varsity games. I am asking the question to see how umpires who regularly officiate Legion ball interpret the rules (different than FED). How could I gain the experience if I never step on the field? I'm not going to find the answer to my question in a rule book!
Your right, but I encourage you to go beyond the rule books, there are many, many other articles and books both on and off the internet that talk about umpiring mechaincs, techiniques and phlosophy. Seek them out and read them with an open mind and develope a style that works for the leagues you work and associations you work for.

Good Luck
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
So I suppose you let the runners touch the bag with the "neighborhood play" too correct?

Tell me, how close is close enough? 2"? 6"? 3'?

Call what you see. It is REALLY good for your integrity.
Well, Rei, I've been calling this for almost 30 years and I've never received a complaint. I do not do as some of our former (MLB) brothers have - almost 2 feet off the bag is not where I call it.

The best description I can give you is about a step off the bag. Pretty much what was taught in the late seventies in pro school. I've called this from HS through adult levels and never gave it much thought. Again, in this area, it is the expected call and the players work hard at getting just close enough.

Let's say it's not much different than a good F3 who pulls the foot off the bag to keep from getting "nailed". We've all seen that in pro and amateur baseball. Or how about that marginal strike that is really off the plate but still in the black. We all "give" a little whether you realize it or not. The only times I have ever seen the game called "pure" is when the Knickerbocker Games come to the area. There the Caller (umpire) sits to the side in his top hat and tails, nursing a beer and judging whether the "called-for" pitch was correctly thrown!
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Well, Rei, I've been calling this for almost 30 years and I've never received a complaint. I do not do as some of our former (MLB) brothers have - almost 2 feet off the bag is not where I call it.

The best description I can give you is about a step off the bag. Pretty much what was taught in the late seventies in pro school.
In the 70s there was no FPSR
Old dogs need to keep up with the game
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
In the 70s there was no FPSR
Old dogs need to keep up with the game
Yeah, I guess you are all correct in that statement! I should come up to speed, let's see:
I need to meet with my partners for every other call.
  1. I need to go to my partner every time a coach challenges me.
  2. I need to stop using the scissors when my back flairs up.
  3. I must hold "church service" at the plate meeting and explain every detail of the game and how it will be called.
  4. I need to justify my strike zone.
  5. I need to accept that there are rising fastballs.
  6. I need to understand that the batter may be frustrated with himself as he yells about my called strike three.
  7. I need to stop using the double safe signal and figure out another way of emphasizing a close play.
  8. I need to stop ejecting people for using "urban language" because this is the way they were brought up.
  9. I need to stop using the neighborhood play because it was taught before FPSR.
  10. I need to stop wearing my plate coat because no one else wears one.
  11. I need to stop using my indicator on the bases because it is "unprofessional" even though I have CRS.
  12. I need to be exactly where the CCA manual says to be because I am too stupid to decide for myself I need to be deep instead of shallow.
  13. I need to make my calls faster because I have too much of a delay.
  14. I need to accept IR in baseball because it will make the game more enjoyable for MLB fans and players. I should not be concerned with what it will do to the amateur side of the game.
  15. I need to be nicer to other, younger, inexperienced officials because I am a crusty old fart that needs to come up to speed and have a better attitude.
  16. I need to review this entire list and add more corrections each year.
And if you all hold your breath, I will accomplish these things in a quick and orderly fashion! Wait for it!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 07:12am.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Good point!

Just want to check. Are you one of those guys that won't call a curve ball caught at the belt?
I call those every time.

Quote:
What about the fastball at the letters.
Bottom half of the letters? often

..and yes, I've caught some grief for both. Meh.

Quote:
It is hittable, and hittable for POWER! The low crap is bad for quick games. The angle the ball comes off the bat means a lot of hooks and spins, which means bad fielding.

So, shall we just call the WHOLE strike zone? LOL Nobody is going to do that, except in Little League.
I never said that, in fact, my post implies I would not. I won't call a dirt ball a strike whether it nicked the zone or not. Eeeeeeeeehhveryone knows a dirt ball is too low, Blue!

Quote:
In my mind, a bit of play in the strike zone is very different than phantom plays. There is no way for the offense to play against phantom plays, and these phantom plays are always "given" when the defense seems to have enough time to do them right.

With strike zone difference, it is a matter of the offense being able to work with/against it. A pitch 3" outside is VERY hittable for power. The low crap in the dirt is virtually un-hittable unless the batter gets VERY lucky.

So, while I will require a catcher to present a good looking strike to get a call, I will not give the phantom tag and neighborhood play. I think they are bad for learning baseball.
I will agree with a bit of your philosophy regarding the strike zone being a matter of interpretation, whereas the pivot man in a DP either touched the bag, or he did not.

However, I would reject your stated rationale for your zone...it all reads as coaching to me, and I don't see a consulting fee tacked onto my game check. {puts on his Rut hat} I could care less what's 'hittable' and what's not, and it's not my job to care about the players learning baseball techniques. That's the coaches job. If the teams learn a little about the rules along the way, its a bonus.