Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee
You obviously don't understand who you are talking to!

I have played all my life since I was 9 yrs old and was starting point guard in HS as a senior for a AAAA Section and WPIAL winning team. I have been officiating basketball for over 12 yrs now in Europe and all over the US.

A sport I don't understand, are you kidding me!

Bottom line is, it is "Selective officiating" if you decide what to call and when to call it!
Once again the last comment proves my point. You have not quoted one rule that suggest that what the officials did in the game was wrong. You are only giving your opinion as to why it was not a foul. It sounds more like you are being selective in how you interpret the rules. If you were standing on solid ground you would quote a single rule. It is not hard to do.

And please do not think anyone is impressed with Feeble officiating. There is a reason why many folks on these boards dismiss officials from other countries.

Peace
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again the last comment proves my point. You have not quoted one rule that suggest that what the officials did in the game was wrong. You are only giving your opinion as to why it was not a foul. It sounds more like you are being selective in how you interpret the rules. If you were standing on solid ground you would quote a single rule. It is not hard to do.

And please do not think anyone is impressed with Feeble officiating. There is a reason why many folks on these boards dismiss officials from other countries.

Peace
Who said anything about FIBA? Or feeble as you put it. I just said Europe.

What are you saying, there wasn't a foul?

Even the officials said it was after the game!

Obviously you are commenting on a sport you do not understand.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who said anything about FIBA? Or feeble as you put it. I just said Europe.
Are you saying that the NF and NCAA have jurisdiction in Europe? Or better yet are you saying that the NBA has jurisdiction in Europe?

Quote:
What are you saying, there wasn't a foul?
I am saying that there is rules support for there not being a foul. Unlike you I have actually quote rules on why I feel there was not an "obvious foul" as you have indicated it was.

Quote:
Even the officials said it was after the game!
What officials? Some suit from the NBA office? You mean some guy that has never put on a whistle in any kind of game has said there was a foul? Or are you talking about some guy that claims they officiate basketball says it was a foul or is not a foul. There is a difference you know.

Quote:
Obviously you are commenting on a sport you do not understand.
You said all levels. If you have been officiating in Europe than you have not been exposed to "all levels" as you have stated. Considering that the vast majority of NBA players and officials come from The United States of America (a place you have never officiated according to your own comments) and come from a high school sports system that I have been exposed to, then I find it difficult to believe you know what happens or is expected in this country.

In my opinion this makes your claims this "was a foul at all levels" as puzzling. Then again, I am still waiting for a single rule to back up your claim that this was a foul and nothing but a foul. If it was selective officiating, then show a rule that suggests the officials did not follow the rules? I know at the NF and NCAA level this play fit clearly as a play that could not be called as a foul. Then again, do not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Peace
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I disagree with your statement as evidenced in the balk call about 2-3 yrs ago that ended a College World Series Game. If memory serves there was bases loaded meaning runners were going no-where. No advantage gained by the defense for F1 not pausing / stopping which was borderline at best yet the balk call was made.

I believe this type of scenario is also commented on in Papa C's 51 ways to ruin a baseball game.

There are infractions of rules and there are Infractions of rules if you get my gist.

I was doing a tournament game this past weekend. I was BU, F1 did not stop. I also noticed R1 was going no-where so after the play I called TIME and turned towards F6 make believe I was clearing dust out of my eye and said to F6 Go talk to your F1. The coaches knew what i wa doing and had no problem with it.

Therefore, that is the premise for my post as was the case in the Spurs / Lakers game.

There was a Foul committed (The NBA admitted it see Jerassic's post) but was it the type of Foul to end the game. That is what my OP is all about.

There is a philosophy among some officials and also has stood the test of time.

Let the players decide the outcome.

Pete Booth
But Pete I would also add that one of the marks of a good official in any sport is that he/she looks forward to making calls at the end of the game.

We all know of many officials who call a great 8 innings, or 30 minutes (HS) or 38 minutes (NCAA), but when it gets to crunch time they wilt under the pressure.

One of the things that I was told a long time ago by a very good veteran official, in the last minutes, inning, "make sure about the call."

At first I didn't understand what he was talking about, but now some 30 years later it makes a lot of sense.

If you are not certain, don't make the call.

Anyway, my 2pennies

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Are you saying that the NF and NCAA have jurisdiction in Europe? Or better yet are you saying that the NBA has jurisdiction in Europe?

I am saying that there is rules support for there not being a foul. Unlike you I have actually quote rules on why I feel there was not an "obvious foul" as you have indicated it was.

What officials? Some suit from the NBA office? You mean some guy that has never put on a whistle in any kind of game has said there was a foul? Or are you talking about some guy that claims they officiate basketball says it was a foul or is not a foul. There is a difference you know.

You said all levels. If you have been officiating in Europe than you have not been exposed to "all levels" as you have stated. Considering that the vast majority of NBA players and officials come from The United States of America (a place you have never officiated according to your own comments) and come from a high school sports system that I have been exposed to, then I find it difficult to believe you know what happens or is expected in this country.

In my opinion this makes your claims this "was a foul at all levels" as puzzling. Then again, I am still waiting for a single rule to back up your claim that this was a foul and nothing but a foul. If it was selective officiating, then show a rule that suggests the officials did not follow the rules? I know at the NF and NCAA level this play fit clearly as a play that could not be called as a foul. Then again, do not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Peace
I'm not here to argue with you, but you seem to have me confused with someone else.

You quoted several things I didn't say. I went back in the thread and nowhere did I say it was an "obvious foul", even tho it was.

Didn't say "at all levels" because that would mean the NBA, which I have never had the pleasure.

You also say,"(a place you have never officiated according to your own comments)", please show me where I said that! I said Europe and all over the US, you do know U.S. means the United States of America?

"A foul at all levels" was not said by me either.

I don't even think I ever said it was a foul, I think I said "he got killed", speaking of Barry during the replay. Whether or not it should have been called is another question. Actually I leaned more to the side of a no call when I said something like, "come on, he took a dribble and threw up a 38 footer".

But anyway, I have been around this board long enough to know you must be in one of your moods, and I don't want to argue with you.

One last thing though, if you are going to quote someone, make sure you quote them correctly, you don't want to "let the facts get in the way of a good story", do you?

Peace