Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 06:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
he did, which is complete and utter BS
Exactly what would it take to get a night off in your world? Right cross to Guccione's jaw?
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Did they ever suspend Earl back in the day? (I don't know, wasn't born)

A tantrum is part of the game. Heck, for some "fans", it helps sell the game. Why would MLB punish such behavior? He did it to get his team going, show the fans he cares, and help gain the respect of his players. And it worked.

And now, he gets suspended. For doing a part of his job.

I think all of this does not deserve a suspension.

When managers start throwing bats and balls out of the dugout, make contact with an umpire, put others at risk, etc., then we can start talking suspensions.

This stuff is a part of baseball, always has been, always will be. MLB is trying to crush the human element out of everything in baseball, and it will eventually ruin the game.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
i agree with Tuss 100%, you want fans in the stands but don't want the show to put em there?
How silly. Do you really think out of control coaches account for ticket sales? If that were true, ticket sales would be less than 10% of what they are.

Players are the show. Players put fannies in the seats.

MLB has to rein in the managers. They have systematically worked to de-nut umpires over the last six years. If they don't in turn limit the managers conduct, umpires will be nothing but doormats before long.

The days are different, the times they are a-changing. Earl Weaver wouldn't survive today.

Get used to it.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 12:38am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
How silly. Do you really think out of control coaches account for ticket sales? If that were true, ticket sales would be less than 10% of what they are.

Players are the show. Players put fannies in the seats.

MLB has to rein in the managers. They have systematically worked to de-nut umpires over the last six years. If they don't in turn limit the managers conduct, umpires will be nothing but doormats before long.

The days are different, the times they are a-changing. Earl Weaver wouldn't survive today.

Get used to it.
I agree. Entertainment is one thing but to let it get completely out of control will turn MLB into the NBA. Steroids were ignored for so many years because the MLB thought that is what the fans wanted, entertainment. Now look where we are with it.

I want to see good baseball played at the highest levels, not grown men acting like spoiled children.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 01:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Did they ever suspend Earl back in the day? (I don't know, wasn't born)

A tantrum is part of the game. Heck, for some "fans", it helps sell the game. Why would MLB punish such behavior? He did it to get his team going, show the fans he cares, and help gain the respect of his players. And it worked.

And now, he gets suspended. For doing a part of his job.

I think all of this does not deserve a suspension.

When managers start throwing bats and balls out of the dugout, make contact with an umpire, put others at risk, etc., then we can start talking suspensions.

This stuff is a part of baseball, always has been, always will be. MLB is trying to crush the human element out of everything in baseball, and it will eventually ruin the game.
Back in Earl's day, umpires could and did give it back just as well the managers gave it. Part of the show. Not allowed now (Haller said "F--- you in the famous YouTube video. Winters calls Bradley a piece of sh-t and gets suspended). Are people saying that tirades like this are OK from managers, but umpires should have to stand there and just take it?

Also, Torre seemed to do OK as the manager of the Yankees and I never recall a tirade like this from him.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Torre never blew up, but he did get tossed from a game arguing a runner leaving the baseline in Kansas City, then the next night made a point to walk the card out (which he never does) and proceeded to get tossed during the plate conference as well...

just to be fair about it. Guess we just have different opinions.

And I also think suspending Winters was wrong too... at that level, nothing like a good ruckus. But that is MLB's marketing department who makes these calls, not us, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Let me add that my expertise lip syncing caught Guccione the other night saying "That's f***ing right Joe" right before Welke stepped in.

MLB said it was the kicking of the dirt that got Joe the suspension. I can live with the line being drawn there...
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem with I had with the call is that it took him too long to realize that the double hit he heard wasn't the ball hitting the batter. By pausing and not pointing to the batter, the PU gave the catcher a chance to put his two cents in and then it looked like the catcher talked him into it. I heard the two sounds in real time and thought that the ball hit Giambi. But as soon as he didn't react, I knew it hit the bat. I think if the PU points the batter right away that tells every he saw something and buys him just enough time to determine if his next move is to call a strike (and an out in this case) or award him his base.

Personally, I loved the Girardi tirade. I think that it fired up his club, took the pitcher out of his rhythm (he couldn't find the plate after that) and gave the PU a little deserved crap for making it look like he got talked into the call by the catcher, even though the PU did get the call right.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Everone's probable seen it, but it still gives me a chuckle. Especially growing up in MD. watching Earl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1_1Cktdvs
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Giambi

On the replay I saw on ESPN, the ball never hit the bat. It was not even close.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefj200
On the replay I saw on ESPN, the ball never hit the bat. It was not even close.
Well, I guess that settles it.