The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 01:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

I got nailed tonight

Working R, visiting team in shotgun.

Snap is horrible, bounces right at me. I sidestep the snap and the ball is heading behind me. I hesitate because I know I need to get back on the ball and also because 2 300-pound lineman are coming right for me.

In the end, I decided that the ball is just going to have to sort itself out -- I have wings coming back. But it was too late, a lineman falls forward and his helmet smashes into my left shin.

I worked on adrenaline the rest of the game, but I can barely walk now.

Let's hear good stories about getting hit. After a few (if we get any), I'll tell about the time my umpire led the conference in forced fumbles.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

First college game

First college game was a spring game (D-II). I am a wing and a pass is completed and I am running to the spot. After the play is completely over, a D-back comes out of the blue and runs me over. I see my feet and sky as I tumble backwards. After the dust clears, the head coach says, "Help him up!" I get back to the sideline for the next play and the local sportswriter, whom I know from my coaching days, says, "A quicker guy would have gotten out of the way." Thanks!

Lesson learned: College guys play to and beyond the whistle. It's ok to mark a spot 30 yds away from the ball! Be safe.

PS- I got knocked down later in the game on a sideline play where about 7 blockers and tacklers were flying toward the runner near the sideline. I was OOB when I got my legs taken out.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

My biggest "hit" was during an EFL game (SE MA semi-pro league). I'm in the U position on what started out looking like a pass play so I'm sliding up between 2 LB's toward the LOS. The "pass blocking" opens up and here comes the RB (Harold Shaw - a 240+ lb former NE Patriot RB) right at me. I try the "I'll hold my spot until he commits to my right or left method" and he just keeps coming right at me. Shaw and the 2 linebackers that I moved up beyond as the play started and me all hit at the same time. I end up flat on my back at the bottom of a big pile with Shaw's facemask on my chin and what felt like the whole defensive team on top of me. It's the only time I'm telling the players to "roll off & use the ground" from the bottom of the pile. After a few seconds I got up feeling like I've been in an auto accident. The rest of the crew was ribbing me all night after that.

Still haven't found the "perfect mechanic" to handle the draw when you're trying to focus on the "pass blocking" and they hide the draw until the last second.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, I got nailed in the shin, but this morning my left knee is killing me. Either I overcompensated for the 2.5 quarters I worked after the hit or the hit caused my knee to hyperextend or something.

A few years ago, I'm working as the back judge on a crew and a runner heads right for the umpire. U does a good job holding his ground and is ready to swing the gate when the runner cuts right into him. U (and this is a BIG guy, probably 280 of former college lineman) goes down in a heap and I hear someone yell out "FUMBLE!" The linesman and I just looked at each other before awarding the team the ball. Haven't seen anything like it, before or since.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of being too close to the play, here's one from my younger days.

Long pass play and I'm hussling to stay right on top of it (linesman). Catch, tackle and I'm right there with my right leg marking the spot when a DB comes flying over the pile. My right knee is locked in place (gotta get the spot, you know) and his helmet, followed by the rest of his body going full speed hits me directly on the knee. The chain crew said my leg was folded in half.

When I come to, the ambulance guys are there and want to haul me away. I refused, but I did spend several days on crutches but was back the next Friday night (stupid!) when I got hit again. Surgery about a year later fixed everything.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
Speaking of being too close to the play, here's one from my younger days.

Long pass play and I'm hussling to stay right on top of it (linesman). Catch, tackle and I'm right there with my right leg marking the spot when a DB comes flying over the pile. My right knee is locked in place (gotta get the spot, you know) and his helmet, followed by the rest of his body going full speed hits me directly on the knee. The chain crew said my leg was folded in half.

When I come to, the ambulance guys are there and want to haul me away. I refused, but I did spend several days on crutches but was back the next Friday night (stupid!) when I got hit again. Surgery about a year later fixed everything.
For me, it was just bad luck, I think. In a shotgun formation, I'm VERY deep. I just didn't expect the snap to be to ME instead of the quarterback.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGardner
Still haven't found the "perfect mechanic" to handle the draw when you're trying to focus on the "pass blocking" and they hide the draw until the last second.
Been there mysef many times. Growing up Catholic I learned to say a Hail Mary pretty quickly. That's about the only advice I can offer.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I got hit Friday night, but the little running back went down, not me. I was U and was backing up to avoid a DL who was being driven back by the OL. I decided to step to the side instead of continuing to back up. Apparently the little running back was right behind him and ran right smack into me and went down immediately. All he said was "Aw, man!" I said, "Sorry, I guess you're just too quick for me." And I'm only a little over 200 lbs.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just last Friday, had a spot, ask for the ball. Kid wasn't sure where I was, and popped the ball up. Coming right for my face, so I flinched and struck my ear pretty hard. A little tender for a little while, but the "whiplash" held on for the next day. That's nothing...
A few years back, working LJ. Feet were a little sore, so I decided to use the "street" shoes; totally black, but little turf traction. Anyway, game was going good, and about half way through the second quarter, play goes my side. I try to stop short, I see my feet coming horizontal, and BOOM!!! Flat on my back. It was in front of a big audience (>3000) and you could hear the "OOOOHH". Suffice it to say, the cleats came on 2nd half.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Didn't get hit but...

I was BJ on slippery field. Player breaks the plane on a long run and my feet slip. I give a very crisp TD signal from my knees!

I am R now and my current BJ (about 5'4") says I still was higher than him with my signal. (I am 6'3".)
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I got hit this weekend and may be out for a couple of weeks. I'll see a doctor today. I was the SJ and was working wide enough (I was wide of the sideline) but I think there was a fumble. One player rolled into me and was lieing on me feet. No problem except I'm stuck. I saw a player come running from the middle of the field and he dover over the pile. I saw him comming but I could not move or jump or turn or anything. Full force straight into my right knee. I went down and stayed down for a while. I didn't feel or hear a pop and there is no pain if I am sitting or standing - I just can't walk too well at the moment. I hope it's just hyperextended. Boy, when I happened I thought I broke the sucker!
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I got two stories so far.

First play of my first game ever. Sweep my way, I'm linesman. I actually break down and step towards the play and my thoughts are on shedding blockers...until I realize I'm an official now, not a player. I backpeddle to the sideline as quick as I can and try to get behind the play so I could follow. Got trampled by two or three tacklers a blocker and the back all in a huge heap. Luckily I'm young so I just brush it off and move on. Plus it was JV so they don't hit too hard anyhow.

Other incident was just this weekend but I was the hitter this time. Swing pass my way and going up the sideline. This time I'm in good position to follow the play up the sideline without getting myself trampled. As I'm running up the sideline the coach on my side steps forward pointing out a block in the back or something like that to us officials. But he didn't see me coming and steped right in front of me. I hardly broke stride as he tumbles to the ground and I keep following the play. We had a laugh about it later in the game.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

I was U for a game. Play ended, I stepped toward the pile. Out of the corner of my eye two players still engaged in the block come for me. They smack into me, send my flying backwards. I put my arm out to brace myself (big mistake!) landed, head bounced off the turf, did half a backward somersault and got up.

Arm hurt like heck. Went to the ER Sunday. Had a hairline fracture. Didn't miss a game the rest of the year. Wife said she'd make me quit if I got hit again and needed surgery! I wasn't touched the rest of the year. WHEW!
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Just a couple of weeks ago, I am the linesman and the play passed me a little and goes OB. I come in a few yards behind to get the spot and one late- comer brushed me and sent me wobbling; I looked like a shaking seven pin on a bowling alley. A second late-comer was right behind and took me out. Nice to have help on the sideline though. I had six hands reaching to pull me up, the trouble was they looked like they belonged to the same guy. None of the coaches or players checked on me though, kinda ticked me off. I would have settled for, 'you want a priest?'
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was Back Judge a few years ago. Running play to the Line Judge side. I was moving toward the hash mark when out of the corner of my eye I see a player coming. Watching the video tape of it, he did not see me. His facemask hit the side of my head. I go down thinking damn that hurt. I hear the Linesman running up to me yelling my name. I tried to answer but could not. I heard him say "He's out!" I wake up 10 minutes later with the ambulance out on the field. They have the spine board next to me. What was strange is that I remembered the play, the score and how much time was left in the game. I got up and finished the game. The funny thing about it was I cracked two ribs and that what was hurting during the rest of the game.