View Single Post
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 01:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Did they ever suspend Earl back in the day? (I don't know, wasn't born)

A tantrum is part of the game. Heck, for some "fans", it helps sell the game. Why would MLB punish such behavior? He did it to get his team going, show the fans he cares, and help gain the respect of his players. And it worked.

And now, he gets suspended. For doing a part of his job.

I think all of this does not deserve a suspension.

When managers start throwing bats and balls out of the dugout, make contact with an umpire, put others at risk, etc., then we can start talking suspensions.

This stuff is a part of baseball, always has been, always will be. MLB is trying to crush the human element out of everything in baseball, and it will eventually ruin the game.
Back in Earl's day, umpires could and did give it back just as well the managers gave it. Part of the show. Not allowed now (Haller said "F--- you in the famous YouTube video. Winters calls Bradley a piece of sh-t and gets suspended). Are people saying that tirades like this are OK from managers, but umpires should have to stand there and just take it?

Also, Torre seemed to do OK as the manager of the Yankees and I never recall a tirade like this from him.