The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 07:57am
In Memoriam

Question Base ump showing count on chest.

A question of mechanics
A few of the better base umpires U.P. here (and a special umpire from Chicago), relay to me, behind the plate, the running counts on the batter by showing the count tightly in front of their torsos.

I do not reciprocate when I am on the bases.

Should I be showing the count, also?
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
A question of mechanics
A few of the better base umpires U.P. here (and a special umpire from Chicago), relay to me, behind the plate, the running counts on the batter by showing the count tightly in front of their torsos.

I always gave the count as a minimum every other pitch and probably for myself more, because I did not use an indicator and it helped me keep it correct. (and not using an indicator at the dish is a different discussion.)

I did not hide it on my chest but make sure it was well displayed in front of my chest for all to see. Some believe the BU should respond with a similar signal but I have always felt that unless you as the BU have something different, just play on. But do make sure you are both on the same page.

Your going to get all different types of responses, but you should follow what your association's practices are or if none, what works best for the team in that game.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I'll only flash the count when requested by the PU (tapping his indicator), or if I think he may have lost it. Sometimes after a play at the plate, or a crazy foul ball, I'll see the PU look at his indicator with a puzzled look. That's when I'll give him the count, on the chest, balls over strikes.

I'll work LL games where every BU gives the count to the PU on every pitch. Rookie stuff. Only when needed guys.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

PU is responsible for keeping the count. No indicator on the bases, no flashing the count. Not BU's job.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

How about if requested? Would you just tell him it's not your job, or help him out? I don't roll with an indicator on the bases either, but I'd help if he needed it.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
A question of mechanics

I never flash a count back when I am on the bases. I never give the count to a player or coach if asked. I use the following procedure: "TIME! Mr. Umpire, this gentleman (pointing to the player/coach) needs the count!". It is not my job to keep the count or give the count. It is my partner's job and only he should be giving the count. I have CRS so yes, I do have an indicator, but that is for me and me alone. If my partner needs the count from me, I will walk to him and give him what I have. I will not shout it out or stand there flashing the count back. It is just not proper in my book.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I never flash a count back when I am on the bases. I never give the count to a player or coach if asked. I use the following procedure: "TIME! Mr. Umpire, this gentleman (pointing to the player/coach) needs the count!". It is not my job to keep the count or give the count. It is my partner's job and only he should be giving the count. I have CRS so yes, I do have an indicator, but that is for me and me alone. If my partner needs the count from me, I will walk to him and give him what I have. I will not shout it out or stand there flashing the count back. It is just not proper in my book.
I agree with this 100%, except I don't carry an indicator. I do not give the count on the bases, ever. I don't flash the count, ever.

Last edited by Rich; Fri May 23, 2008 at 11:11am.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
It seems that each has a different opinion on this type of "mechanic", not right or wrong.....Personally, since I rarely call time when: a player slides into a base and asks, .or I need to swipe the plate, ect, (all of which just lengthen the gametime),...I dont believe I'd follow Ozzy's style as both examples just prolong the game, and I dont have a problem w/ telling a player the count, and if the PU silently asks me, I will signal back. Not a big deal to me, and I think its "proper" to keep the game moving. But, to each, his own....
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I'll flash back the count as soon as I'm done cleaning off the bases - unless I'm heading to the mound to give the number of outs and situation to the relief pitcher.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
How about if requested? Would you just tell him it's not your job, or help him out? I don't roll with an indicator on the bases either, but I'd help if he needed it.
My partners never request it. It's covered in our pregame. If PU needs input on the count, he checks with the official book.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

"I'll flash back the count as soon as I'm done cleaning off the bases - unless I'm heading to the mound to give the number of outs and situation to the relief pitcher."

Thanks, I needed that touch of humor.

Regards,
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
My partners never request it. It's covered in our pregame. If PU needs input on the count, he checks with the official book.
Fair enough.

I occasionally work places where the book/and or scoreboard may not be too accurate. Sometimes in our pregames we'll go over these situation, and make sure everyone is on the same page. If the scoreboard is showing 3-1, and the PU's indicator says 2-1, but he just got clocked by a foul ball, he might go to me for a silent confirmation before he corrects the book. Happens all the time.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
If the scoreboard is showing 3-1, and the PU's indicator says 2-1, but he just got clocked by a foul ball, he might go to me for a silent confirmation before he corrects the book. Happens all the time.
Are you saying that you consider the scoreboard and the book to be one and the same? I've never had a game in which the scoreboard was operated by the same person keeping the official book.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

The only time that I show the count while BU is 3-2 2 out with a runner on base. I've picked this up from pro level umpies. I think it's just a way for all of us to know hey, runner might be/is moving on the pitch, and to hold your ground worry about the ball rather than the runner
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
I'll flash back the count as soon as I'm done cleaning off the bases - unless I'm heading to the mound to give the number of outs and situation to the relief pitcher.
That's the coach's job. What happens if somehow you give wrong information?

Bob
Closed Thread