The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I apologize for asking such a basic question but I don't watch too many teams attempt long field goals so here goes.

4th and 15, team A has ball on 27 yardline. They decide to attempt a Field Goal. The attempt is no good and does not break the plane of Team B's goal line (it becomes dead at Team B's 4 yardline. Where is the ball spotted for the new series for Team B and why?

I do know that if the attept is from inside the 20 and it breaks R's goalline and is no good, it goes to the 20 because it is a touchback.

Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
I apologize for asking such a basic question but I don't watch too many teams attempt long field goals so here goes.

4th and 15, team A has ball on 27 yardline. They decide to attempt a Field Goal. The attempt is no good and does not break the plane of Team B's goal line (it becomes dead at Team B's 4 yardline. Where is the ball spotted for the new series for Team B and why?

I do know that if the attept is from inside the 20 and it breaks R's goalline and is no good, it goes to the 20 because it is a touchback.

This is simply a scrimmage kick play. If the ball stops rolling at the 4-yard line and no one attempts to cover it then it becomes dead by rule and the defensive team takes over at that spot. Or if the Kicking team covers it, it becomes dead just as a punt would. The receiving team could pick it up and return just as on a
punt. If a scrimmage kick crosses the goal line it becomes dead immediately. If it remains in the field of play then the rules are the same whether it is a punt or a field goal.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
NCAA

If the missed field goal attempt rolls dead in the field of play untouched by Team B (NCAA rules), the ball would return to the 27 yd line in your situation where Team B would have a 1st and 10 situation.

This prevents teams from trying unmakable field goals if they do not have a good punter.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2001, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

From the NCAA rule book:

"OUT OF BOUNDS BETWEEN GOAL LINES OR AT REST INBOUNDS

If a scrimmage kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines or comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot (with exception by rule)."

It looks to me that it's R's (B) ball on their 4 yard line, 1st and 10.

Bob
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Exclamation don't forget exceptions to the rules, bluezebra

Bob,

Look under 8-4-2b.

After an unsuccessful field goal attempt that crosses the neutral zone, the ball, untouched by Team B beyond the neutral zone and subsequently declared dead beyond the neutral zone, will next be put in play at the previous spot..........

Don't forget your exceptions to the rules. They are the reason that the NCAA book is 140+ pages, plus another 75+ pages of FIs.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

bigwhistle:

Thanks for the info.

I don't have the NCAA book, just a list broken down by sections, with no rule numbers quoted: Kicking, Passing, Penalties, etc. There is a little note that says exceptions, but doesn't explain them.

Bob