The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Base shoes?

I have just found out that I do not just have a sore left heel...I have Plantar fasciitis (It hurts even more with a name on it!)

I have usually gone with New Balance Low Cut base shoes. I would like any recommendations that anyone has out there. I have some very good inserts now, and they seem to help. I would like a high top base shoe but I have not seen one yet-except for the New Balance with that stupid Gray logo that looks like it would get dirty and look like crap after one game.

Joe in Missouri(formerly of Michigan)
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Hey, don't knock those shoes. They're the most comfortable things I've ever slipped my feet into(low top 350s). They wipe clean, and after a full season the logo still looks like new(like it, or not)
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I have just found out that I do not just have a sore left heel...I have Plantar fasciitis (It hurts even more with a name on it!)

I have usually gone with New Balance Low Cut base shoes. I would like any recommendations that anyone has out there. I have some very good inserts now, and they seem to help. I would like a high top base shoe but I have not seen one yet-except for the New Balance with that stupid Gray logo that looks like it would get dirty and look like crap after one game.

I use the Rebok NFL Field Referee shoe for the bases. The grip from the shoe is great on grass, dirt, artificial turf, and field turf.

As for the inserts, I have changed to using Spenco Polysorb Total Support insoles, instead of the stock insoles. These keep your feet cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather. They absorb moisture so your feet stay dry. These are a little more expensive than your run of the mill inserts you get at the local drug store ($35 per pair), however, these are great and will alleviate your plantar faciitis pain.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Spenco is what I have...I love them.

I have not seen that shoe, where can I get it?

Joe in Missouri
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I like the RBK field magistrate low, Also come in a high/mid. Look on Eastbay.com they'll have it

The logo is noticable but not overbearing, shiney black with a grey tracer, can't really tell from more than 30 feet. Heavily studded bottom, kinda weird when walking on cement but great on the field.

The side is not leather though. It's more suede-ish not polishable leather. I like it though.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:

joe,

i've been dealing with the same thing as you with my left foot. stretch, stretch, stretch. when you think you've stretched enough, do it more. not just game time, but all day. massaging helps, too. PT i saw in the southern league 2 years ago had me roll my foot around on top of a golf ball and also on top of a popsicle he made from freeaing water in one of those little green gatorade cups. i, too, wear the NB base shoes with inserts. it helps, but unfortunately, this plantar crap is something that is just so ridiculously hard to get rid of if you have to use your feet. keep on pluggin', i feel your pain.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Spenco is what I have...I love them.

I have not seen that shoe, where can I get it?

Joe in Missouri
Reebok NFL Field Referee shoe was available through Gerry Davis. I belive they have changed the name to Vero FL or somthing like it.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Try to see a Podiatrist and ...

get some custom orthotics. I had a lot of foot pain last season/summer from doing too many games at a tournament place we call the "hell cell". I got NB 350 high tops and they helped. The ABZORB heel/sole padding really absorbs the shock. Then I got the custom orthotics ($350) this past winter. No feet problems at all this season (so far). The Podiatrist I saw was at NCAA winter clinic in Atlanta was Dr. Simon Small from Pennsylvania. His website is something like www.prosupportsystems.com ( I have not been paid for this plug). My Humana health policy paid all but $25 for the orthotics.

Back to the shoes. I made the N on my NB 350's and 450's black with liquid kiwi polish. Looks great. Shines quick.

Your mileage may vary...(Ha!) (first time I've used that one!)
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Roll your foot on a soup can or golf ball when you get up in the morning. Helped me a heck of a lot more than the uncomfortable night splint
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Don't think about your feet just when you are on the field. Think about them all day. When I had it (yes it went away in time) I found a comfortable pair of black cross trainers and wore them all day at work. I stopped wearing regular dress shoes with hard bottoms and no supports and still don't. I am out of the cross trainers, but I wear shoes with cushion soles and heels now and have not had a problem with PF since.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

My podiatrist says NB are the best you can get for problem feet--I have your problem in my right foot. I use the NB high tops with orthotics in them. I polish over the N on the side and it keeps it from looking dirty--it just blends in.