The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Balk?

Varsity game. 3-2 on the batter, 2 outs, bases loaded. Pitcher is in the windup. He simutaneously steps back with his pivot foot and raises his hands above his head trying to get the runners sleeping (it worked).

I did not call a balk but then got to thinking that by raising his hands he might in fact be simulating a pitch.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Varsity game. 3-2 on the batter, 2 outs, bases loaded. Pitcher is in the windup. He simutaneously steps back with his pivot foot and raises his hands above his head trying to get the runners sleeping (it worked).

I did not call a balk but then got to thinking that by raising his hands he might in fact be simulating a pitch.
He probably was -- depending on how he "raised his hands"
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj

Sounds like you kicked this one... He simulated a pitching motion while off the rubber - balk-a-rooni!
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Balk all day, all codes.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
He probably was -- depending on how he "raised his hands"
Agreed. If he raised his hands as he would in the windup, balk it.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input fellas...I'm always learning.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I see it a lot in summer rec ball playing under FED rules. Coach comes out saying that he stepped off with his pivot foot. I acknowledge that he did, but tell the coach that since he moved his hands first (which the pitcher ALWAYS does in this situation ), that is why he balked.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
I see it a lot in summer rec ball playing under FED rules. Coach comes out saying that he stepped off with his pivot foot. I acknowledge that he did, but tell the coach that since he moved his hands first (which the pitcher ALWAYS does in this situation ), that is why he balked.
I had a pitcher succesfully execute this move to pick off R2 and end the game a couple of weeks ago.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a pitcher succesfully execute this move to pick off R2 and end the game a couple of weeks ago.
Elaborate, please.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Elaborate, please.
F1, from the wind-up position, stepped back with the pivot foot, R2 took a bigger lead, F1 turned and got R2 ina run-down where he was tagged out.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1, from the wind-up position, stepped back with the pivot foot, R2 took a bigger lead, F1 turned and got R2 ina run-down where he was tagged out.
The original post and my response were based upon the pitcher moving his hands over his head while stepping back with his pivot foot. Did this occur in your situation?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The original post and my response were based upon the pitcher moving his hands over his head while stepping back with his pivot foot. Did this occur in your situation?
Of course not. That's why the move was successful and not a balk. It also points out that F1's don't "always" move their hands in these situations.