The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 10:54am
Stop staring at me swan.

In a funk working the dish...

Hey guys...need some tips to get back in the saddle on the dish...I feel like my zone is floating, I'm missing pitches, especially the below the knee pitch that I called a strike a couple times last night. Just not in my groove so far this year...what are your thoughts when/if this happens to you?...how to you correct yourself?...I'm trying to take some more plates, so I can go back to the fundmentals...slot position, height, distance, timing...I use the Gerry Davis/heel/toe position. I just am really in a funk and I'm the one that it's probably affecting the most because I know that I'm missing pitches and I'm not proud of it.

Advice?
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Hey guys...need some tips to get back in the saddle on the dish...I feel like my zone is floating, I'm missing pitches, especially the below the knee pitch that I called a strike a couple times last night. Just not in my groove so far this year...what are your thoughts when/if this happens to you?...how to you correct yourself?...I'm trying to take some more plates, so I can go back to the fundmentals...slot position, height, distance, timing...I use the Gerry Davis/heel/toe position. I just am really in a funk and I'm the one that it's probably affecting the most because I know that I'm missing pitches and I'm not proud of it.

Advice?
Over the years I've been through some funks and I've always found that developing a short memory is the best cure for it! I know it's difficult to do sometimes but if I keep chastising myself over a missed call, then it's going to affect my current call.

Going back to basics always helps but relaxing and forgetting everything previous is the big key. Each game is new, so start your next game off right by not worrying about your zone. Let your instincts take over and you'll do great!

-Josh
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 11:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Advice?
When I am having a rough time, I try to emphasize the fundamentals with myself. Rubber, set, call it. My timing after the pitch is usually quite good, it's the timing of getting set that's usually a bit late when I'm a bit off. So I concentrate on that on every pitch.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Advice?
All good advise that's been given. Here's another tidbit. Think to yourself, "Every pitch is a strike until it proves itself to be otherwise."

Watch the ball from release to the glove. Once it's gloved, locate the Manufacturers stamp on the glove, this will help to follow the ball and you can back trace the pitch to the zone.

Tell your partner for the game to periodically give you feed back between innings. After the 1st full inning, after the 3rd, after the 5th, and after the game. You can develop hand signals for this, thumbs up = good, thumbs sidways followed by thumb directions = streach or shrink zone in direction indicated. Never give thumbs down.

As for the low stuff, set a floor for your strike zone. Fastball that is gloved by the catcher at his knees is a strike, below, it's a ball.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Advice?
Perhpas the best advice I received was from Jon Bible who said treat the strike zone as a "window" and if the ball is in the "window" it's a strike.

That philiosphy has served me well.

The fact is no matter how hard "we beat oursleves up" we are not going to miss some. I sometimes "beat myself up" as well ,when I miss a close pitch for strike 3 and the batter proceeds to get a hit on the next pitch and the inning takes on a different effect but it's called being human. The point is to be consistent

Depending upon who is pitching in a 7 inning game we could be looking at 200 pitches or more. If the Stud Varsity pitcher's are on the hill it will be less but the point is we are seeing many many pitches during the coarse of the game and we are bound to miss some.

Pete Booth
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Perhpas the best advice I received was from Jon Bible who said treat the strike zone as a "window" and if the ball is in the "window" it's a strike.

That philiosphy has served me well.

The fact is no matter how hard "we beat oursleves up" we are not going to miss some. I sometimes "beat myself up" as well ,when I miss a close pitch for strike 3 and the batter proceeds to get a hit on the next pitch and the inning takes on a different effect but it's called being human. The point is to be consistent

Depending upon who is pitching in a 7 inning game we could be looking at 200 pitches or more. If the Stud Varsity pitcher's are on the hill it will be less but the point is we are seeing many many pitches during the coarse of the game and we are bound to miss some.

Pete Booth
We have better accuracy than the weatherman, so we are good to go I agree with everyone. As you can see, everyone has found their own little thing that brings them back into "the zone".

-Josh
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Your post mentions that this has been a year long issue. If this is true, it probably would help you tremendously to get someone you trust to watch you work and evaluate your work. A bad game or two, particularly with the low strike indicates to me a timing/concentration issue. If this is a long term issue then it indicates fundamental issues with your approach.

It's hard to provide advice without actually seeing you work, however, in that you use the GD I would check out: 1) Lock in, 2) head height, 3) distance from catcher. If all these are ok, then I would look at timing.

Good Luck!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Someone else touched on it, use your catcher!
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Advice?
4 out of 5 dentists will tell you that plate funks are caused by: timing, timing, timing (or a lack there of).

Seriously, I'd take a long hard look at your timing.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Advice?
  1. Clear out your head! It's like a slump in batting; the more you dwell on it the worse it becomes.
  2. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR STANCE! If your original stance has worked for years, don't alter it.
  3. Go back to basics! Ready! Set! Watch the ball from the pitcher's hand come to you, through the "window" and into the glove. (pretty much what Pete Booth said)
  4. If you concentrate on anything, make it your timing! you are probably anticipating the call and something happens to change your mind.
  5. Between pitches, RELAX! get up, step back give the count assertively and most of all - think of nothing at all!
Many umpires violate #2 and just make their situation worse. Keep your head height where it should be (above the catcher's head) too. Sometimes, head height is the whole problem and we make mountains out of mole hills. In other words, it usually is a small problem that is causing your "funk".

Lastly, I do not agree with having someone watch you unless you can not figure out your problem for yourself. I have found that most umpires trying to help a fellow umpire, start messing with the poor guy's stance and unless you are a new umpire, this is the worst mistake you can make. Take your time and don't loose hope, you will recover!
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 01:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

All great tips guys...very constructive...thank you and I think it's a bit of everything...timing, focus, and all of the above. I had a pretty good plate yesterday, and I think, now that the weather starts to improve here in MN, there will be a bit more consistency in getting out there and getting at it. I feel like I know enough to self evaluate, but I'll never be above asking for help...which is why I came to you guys...and you did not disappoint. thanks again
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Johnny, do you have a "post" game with your partner? If you work with someone who you trust to give you honest feedback, you might ask him to watch specific things and give you a read out after the game. Better yet, if you work with the same partners several times during the season, they can sometimes pick up little things that you might or might not be doing that you don't realize yourself.

Just a thought.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I had a friend at the game that was taking pictures with a digital camera. During a few of the batters (unbeknown to me), they switch it over to video. After waking the video, I realized some things I was doing wrong and corrected them. That might be another option. Just seeing what you ARE doing instead of what you THINK you are doing helps.

-Josh
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:20am
rei

When I am missing more pitches than normal, EVERY TIME it is 2 things:

1 - Not tracking the ball all the way to the glove.

2 - Calling the pitch too soon.

These two things work in tandem too.

WATCH THE BALL ALL THE WAY TO THE GLOVE!!! If you do, #2 should not be an issue.

Another thing which has everything to do with that matter between your ears: PICK A ZONE AND STAY WITH IT!!! If you KNOW the zone you are going to call, relax, watch the ball to the glove, determine if it was presented well and in the zone you are going to call, make the call. While this sounds simple enough, every guy I talk to about missing pitches who is tracking the ball properly and have good timing is usually over-thinking their strike zone. Forget about the score, the play situation, coach complaints, etc...and call YOUR ZONE. If you are consistent, there should be no complaints beyond the 2nd inning.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Simple advice "If you miss balls and strikes, your timing is screwed up."

That being said, if you properly track the ball, you will have perfect timing. I've broken it down into a 4 step process that has helped me tremendously with my timing:

1) Watch the flight of the ball into the mitt
2) Look at the mitt and where the catcher caught the ball
3) Decide
4) Make the call

BE SURE not to float #3 up the list until the first 2 are completed. You will have perfect timing then. Try it!