View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Hey guys...need some tips to get back in the saddle on the dish...I feel like my zone is floating, I'm missing pitches, especially the below the knee pitch that I called a strike a couple times last night. Just not in my groove so far this year...what are your thoughts when/if this happens to you?...how to you correct yourself?...I'm trying to take some more plates, so I can go back to the fundmentals...slot position, height, distance, timing...I use the Gerry Davis/heel/toe position. I just am really in a funk and I'm the one that it's probably affecting the most because I know that I'm missing pitches and I'm not proud of it.

Advice?
All good advise that's been given. Here's another tidbit. Think to yourself, "Every pitch is a strike until it proves itself to be otherwise."

Watch the ball from release to the glove. Once it's gloved, locate the Manufacturers stamp on the glove, this will help to follow the ball and you can back trace the pitch to the zone.

Tell your partner for the game to periodically give you feed back between innings. After the 1st full inning, after the 3rd, after the 5th, and after the game. You can develop hand signals for this, thumbs up = good, thumbs sidways followed by thumb directions = streach or shrink zone in direction indicated. Never give thumbs down.

As for the low stuff, set a floor for your strike zone. Fastball that is gloved by the catcher at his knees is a strike, below, it's a ball.