The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The answer is simple, if you are CPR trained,step in and assist in anyway you can. If not, you don't.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Tough tough news. Hope it turns out okay for him and his family.

Does anyone think it is bad practice as an umpire to give this kid CPR if you are trained and certified? I know there could be a lawsuit for anything, but would it stand up? Would you need verbal parental consent before you initiated it? I'd like to think "being the umpire" would be thrown out in a situation like this.

Lawyers in the house stand up...

Hope this kid gets better
If you don't give CPR, you can get a lawsuit as well. IF you know CPR, you are mandidated by law to help any victim. If the person is going to shock, arrest, whatever, you no longer need consent.

I take peoples health very serious. I had to perform CPR on a kid at a Youth Basketball League as a referee. Saved his life; which I personally think, ALL officials of ALL sports should take CPR. But yea, if you are seeing someone having a heart attack, going into shock, can't breathe, etc, you are required by law to assist in any way possible.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I take others health very important, and over mine.

-Lucas
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator

Last edited by RCBSports; Sun May 11, 2008 at 12:23pm.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

It's called "Implied Consent" if a person is unconcious, by law it is implied that they want help, even if 10 seconds earlier they were awake and said "leave me the hell alone".
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBSports
IF you know CPR, you are mandidated by law to help any victim. . . . I personally think, ALL officials of ALL sports should take CPR. But yea, if you are seeing someone having a heart attack, going into shock, can't breathe, etc, you are required by law to assist in any way possible.
This would probably be a matter of state law, so ymmv, but I doubt that knowing CPR would subject you to legal liability for failing to render assistance. Have not heard of it in my state. Do you have cite to a statute or case in West Virginia, RCBSports?

A Good Samaritan law may absolve you from legal liability for rendering assistance, but I wouldn't think any legislature would want to discourage CPR training by requiring CPR-trained people to help or else face lawsuits.

I certainly agree that sports officials ideally should know CPR. Don't let fear of legal liability stop you.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
If you know CPR and dont offer your assistance, you can be in trouble as well. I kinda like that, but it's harsh. Also what with you said about even if you don't know CPR. I think the law my just WV, but I am not sure. I know though, if you dont render assistance in full knowledge of the situation, you can get in a HUGE trouble.

-Lucas
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBSports
If you know CPR and dont offer your assistance, you can be in trouble as well. I kinda like that, but it's harsh. Also what with you said about even if you don't know CPR. I think the law my just WV, but I am not sure. I know though, if you dont render assistance in full knowledge of the situation, you can get in a HUGE trouble.

-Lucas
I doubt very seriously that any individual bears any actual or implied responsibility to perform CPR if they have knowledge of the same. Perhaps a physician or another medical professional has such a responsibility, but not others.

Tim.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I doubt very seriously that any individual bears any actual or implied responsibility to perform CPR if they have knowledge of the same. Perhaps a physician or another medical professional has such a responsibility, but not others.

Tim.
True. You may have a moral responsibility though. Check with your umpire association to see if ethics and morality are checked at the gate in your area.

Honestly guys, why is there any question about this?
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241
If this were to happen in your game to you help in CPR if you are not an EMT? Personally, I do because I feel that saving a life is more important than the potential lawsuit.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354591,00.html

A 13-year-old Little League player is in critical condition after he collapsed during a baseball game at his Boise, Idaho middle school.

Justin McAfee went in cardiac arrest as he was rounding the bases at Lake Hazel Middle School Wednesday night, according to IdahoStatesman.com.

Emergency crews who responded to the 911 call credited bystanders with helping keep the boy alive, it was reported.

"It looks like they did an incredible job with bystander CPR," Mike Nugent, paramedic supervisor with Ada County, told the Statesman."People did all the right things. There are hopeful signs."

McAfee, a ninth grader, was rushed to St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital in Meridian where he is currently being treated in the pediatric intensive care unit.

It was reported the teenager was in a coma, but that has been denied by hospital officials.

"To say that he’s in a coma is not completely correct," Beth Toal, the public relations manager at St. Luke’s, told FOXNews.com.

"His family has requested that we don’t release a lot of information about his condition," she added.

According to the American Heart Association, the reported incidences of out-of-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest vary widely from 2.6 to 19.7 annual cases per 100,000 children.

Causes include trauma, sudden infant death syndrome, respiratory issues, cardiovascular complications and drowning.
Most states (I believe) have "Good Samaritan Laws" that protect you if you go to someone elses aid. At least that's my understanding.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Most states (I believe) have "Good Samaritan Laws" that protect you if you go to someone elses aid. At least that's my understanding.
Most states? What, like 26? Maybe 32?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I didn't read the story, but most locales have "good samaritan laws" and as long as the attempted care is reasonable, you're protected.
Do the laws protect us if, say, the person who collapsed is named Augie and we don't try to help?