The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

13 yr old has heart attack rounding the bases

If this were to happen in your game to you help in CPR if you are not an EMT? Personally, I do because I feel that saving a life is more important than the potential lawsuit.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354591,00.html

A 13-year-old Little League player is in critical condition after he collapsed during a baseball game at his Boise, Idaho middle school.

Justin McAfee went in cardiac arrest as he was rounding the bases at Lake Hazel Middle School Wednesday night, according to IdahoStatesman.com.

Emergency crews who responded to the 911 call credited bystanders with helping keep the boy alive, it was reported.

"It looks like they did an incredible job with bystander CPR," Mike Nugent, paramedic supervisor with Ada County, told the Statesman."People did all the right things. There are hopeful signs."

McAfee, a ninth grader, was rushed to St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital in Meridian where he is currently being treated in the pediatric intensive care unit.

It was reported the teenager was in a coma, but that has been denied by hospital officials.

"To say that he’s in a coma is not completely correct," Beth Toal, the public relations manager at St. Luke’s, told FOXNews.com.

"His family has requested that we don’t release a lot of information about his condition," she added.

According to the American Heart Association, the reported incidences of out-of-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest vary widely from 2.6 to 19.7 annual cases per 100,000 children.

Causes include trauma, sudden infant death syndrome, respiratory issues, cardiovascular complications and drowning.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Tough tough news. Hope it turns out okay for him and his family.

Does anyone think it is bad practice as an umpire to give this kid CPR if you are trained and certified? I know there could be a lawsuit for anything, but would it stand up? Would you need verbal parental consent before you initiated it? I'd like to think "being the umpire" would be thrown out in a situation like this.

Lawyers in the house stand up...

Hope this kid gets better
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I fall into a different catagory than most on this issue. I was in the health care profession for nearly 30 years. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and perform CPR in this situation. I recently had a kid dislocate his patella while fielding a ground ball. I evauated him quickly, determined what the problem was then stood back. Because of my training, I was able to keep the situation under control in a very calm fashion. For the most part, I won't intervene during an injury time out, unless it's a serious injury. For the most part, it's not our job to intervene, in fact, most say not to, including NASO. You have to be aware of the potiential risk vs. benefit, especially in today's sue happy society. I would suggest checking with your local association on how they want you to handle these situations.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't read the story, but most locales have "good samaritan laws" and as long as the attempted care is reasonable, you're protected.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a responsible human being first, and the umpire stuff is somewhere down the list. I'm helping out wherever I can, if I can. On the ball field, or off.

Is there really an umpire association that advocates not getting involved when kids get hurt?
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 11:38pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I believe...

this falls under the good samaratin law and you can't be sued for attempting to render first aid as long as you don't foul things up further.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately, in most of Canada we have the good Samaritan law's and as long as you're trying to do something reasonable, even if it causes more harm you are not libel.

For example, if there is an auto accicent and the car is on fire. If you take an occupant out of the vehicle for fear of an explosion and it turned out that the action of moving the person caused them to be a parapalegic(sic) because the person had a broken neck, you cannot be found libel since taking the person out of harms way is a reasonable action.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 03:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Fortunately, in most of Canada we have the good Samaritan law's and as long as you're trying to do something reasonable, even if it causes more harm you are not libel.

For example, if there is an auto accicent and the car is on fire. If you take an occupant out of the vehicle for fear of an explosion and it turned out that the action of moving the person caused them to be a parapalegic(sic) because the person had a broken neck, you cannot be found libel since taking the person out of harms way is a reasonable action.
Can you be found slander though?

If I were Red Cross CPR/First Aid certified (which I am), I would render aid.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Does anyone think it is bad practice as an umpire to give this kid CPR if you are trained and certified?
You're a worthless pantload if you DON'T give this kid CPR.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 05:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
You're a worthless pantload if you DON'T give this kid CPR.
If you don't know how to give CPR, then I completely disagree.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Most states have some sort of Good samaritan law. In MD if you are not a professional care provider and you are trying to help you are not liable except for cases of GROSS negligence.
I am an EMT and CPR certified, so in a case like this would be required to act. Luckily I havent run into anything life threatning, so if some ice, bandages or stitches are all the player needs I stand back and let the coaches and parents take care of things. I may give my advice and usally reccomend a DR or ER visit.
Most 911 centers have an EMT or Paramedic on duty to tell people what to do and how to give CPR until help arrives. If your not trained, doing something is better that doing nothing.

Last edited by JR12; Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:34pm.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
Most 911 centers have an EMT or Paramedic on duty to tell people what to do and how to give CPR until help arrives. If your not trained, doing something is better that doing nothing.
This is not exactly true. The person that is trained to dispense pre-arrival medically approved advice may be an EMT-I but in most cases is Emergency Medical Dispatcher, a person who has been trained in being able to give out basic medical support in a time-life critical emergency.

There is a national standard and requirement that dispatchers are trained in dispensing Emergency Medical instructions.

I am a Public Safety Communications Officer and Emergency Medical Dispatcher/EMD Instructor by profession and welcome your questions on the situation.

As others have said in the rest of the thread, if you are trained to respond to a situation and you do not provide that aid you are putting yourself into more trouble then by rendering assistance.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblue
This is not exactly true. The person that is trained to dispense pre-arrival medically approved advice may be an EMT-I but in most cases is Emergency Medical Dispatcher, a person who has been trained in being able to give out basic medical support in a time-life critical emergency.

There is a national standard and requirement that dispatchers are trained in dispensing Emergency Medical instructions.

I am a Public Safety Communications Officer and Emergency Medical Dispatcher/EMD Instructor by profession and welcome your questions on the situation.

As others have said in the rest of the thread, if you are trained to respond to a situation and you do not provide that aid you are putting yourself into more trouble then by rendering assistance.
Mabe not everywhere, but a Paramedic is on duty 24-7 in the 911 center where I am affiliated.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

In the instance of a heart attack, and not a simple injury.

If the trainer or coaches are handling the emergency, I would step back (being an ex-EMT/Firefighter), make sure that someone has contacted 911 then take note of everything that is being done. This in case the worst happens and an investigation would follow. I would be able to bear witness that all the prober procedures were followed.

If no one is doing anything or there was no one trained in CPR, I would be there to help the kid as best as my condition would allow (heart condition of my own).
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

I still stand by my response, perhaps you misread the question.

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Does anyone think it is bad practice as an umpire to give this kid CPR if you are trained and certified?

I wasn't calling him out, just anyone who might think it was a "bad practice".

If you are trained and certified, and balk at giving aid to a child in need of heart resuscitation, you are a walking waste of space. A kid's heart has stopped beating, you know how to save him, and you're going to let some dopey umpire association (probably the same one that requires you to wear a hat under your helmet) tell you to stand by?

My question to the group: If you have the training, like me, why would you even think about not helping?

Last edited by kylejt; Sun May 11, 2008 at 01:41pm.