The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

HS sectionals / states - PRE-GAME

Hi all:

As we know FED has some unique rules. The reason I bring this up is during HS state Finals we are often paired with officials from other areas.

I realize it is extremely important to go over mechanics but what about the rules?

In FED we have the gorilla arm balk, if F1 is on the Pitcher's Plate and goes to his mouth even if wiped off it is an illegal pitch. If F1 starts his motion but slips on his cleats or something similar again an illegal pitch in FED.

We all know that these are "ticky / tacky" type rules that each association most likely has THEIR interpretation meaning some ignore and some enforce as was the case years ago when in FED F1 could not check a runner as in the other rule codes.

In Summary: when you are working a BIG game with officials you never worked with before do you go over RULES as well as mechanics in your PRE-GAME?

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi all:

As we know FED has some unique rules. The reason I bring this up is during HS state Finals we are often paired with officials from other areas.

I realize it is extremely important to go over mechanics but what about the rules?

In FED we have the gorilla arm balk, if F1 is on the Pitcher's Plate and goes to his mouth even if wiped off it is an illegal pitch. If F1 starts his motion but slips on his cleats or something similar again an illegal pitch in FED.

We all know that these are "ticky / tacky" type rules that each association most likely has THEIR interpretation meaning some ignore and some enforce as was the case years ago when in FED F1 could not check a runner as in the other rule codes.

In Summary: when you are working a BIG game with officials you never worked with before do you go over RULES as well as mechanics in your PRE-GAME?

Thanks

Pete Booth
Thanks goodness we do our state playoffs in groups which helps with this type of stuff.

In basketball they do it different and it's pretty bad because you have to call with guys that you don't know or use different mechanics etc.,

But when I do call with guys from other associations, I do go over some of the basic stuff. I don't go into specifics like the gorilla arm etc., because it doesn't happen that much, but I will go over balks, illegals etc.,

I do make sure to tell them if we have an unusual play, let's discuss it first before we go to the coaches etc,

Thansk
David
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Pre Game

Good point.
We will use it in two weeks.
I like to use the Illinois 3 Mechanics powerpoint and a laptop to review rotations too since we don't get a lot of experience with three until state.