View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

In the association the handles the local school and college assignments, the higher level assignments are handed out by a formula that includes weighted consideration of the individual ratings and ranking, rules test scores, previous experience and attendance record and meetings and clinics. Until this year we did not seek out, nor consider, coaches comments.

Obviously, when a "tie" between or among umpires exists, other considerations such as being in the right place at the right time, availability and personal relationships enter in.

The association that assigns youth league games first rewarded me for basically similar criteria, but also took into account the seriousness with which I approach my avocation and the amount of time and effort I invest in keeping my skills honed by seeking out and attending various camps and clinics. Additionally, area coaches began recommending me for the higher level tournaments.

I am now the assignor and trainer of that association, so I do fewer of the games myself and face the same quandry as you.

BTW, what national world series are you working on? Do I know the way to San Jose? SJSU graduate, class of 74.