The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a balk?

In a game I was doing today, the pitcher would put his hands together while off the rubber, separate them, then step on the rubber and go into his stretch, set and delivery. When he put his hands together while off the rubber there was clearly no intent to decieve any runners, and nobody was decieved. My guess is that he was either adjusting the ball or it was simply a ritual before he actually stepped on the rubber. I'm still not sure whether this should have been called a balk due to the pitcher making a motion associated with his pitch while off the rubber, but I didn't call a balk.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
In a game I was doing today, the pitcher would put his hands together while off the rubber, separate them, then step on the rubber and go into his stretch, set and delivery. When he put his hands together while off the rubber there was clearly no intent to decieve any runners, and nobody was decieved. My guess is that he was either adjusting the ball or it was simply a ritual before he actually stepped on the rubber. I'm still not sure whether this should have been called a balk due to the pitcher making a motion associated with his pitch while off the rubber, but I didn't call a balk.
To my knowledge, a pitcher cannot balk if he's not on the rubber. But, no, this is not a balk. Until he gets on the rubber, he's not under the jurisdiction of the pitching rules.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
To my knowledge, a pitcher cannot balk if he's not on the rubber.
Yes he can, but that doesn't mean the OP's situation is a balk.

Regardless, as I stated, a pitcher can, indeed, commit a balk while off the rubber.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Did he look like a "pitcher" while he was doing this, or did he just look like "someone on the mound but not on the rubber?"

Would anyone watching think he might have been on the rubber?

(My guesses on those questions are (1) the latter and (2) no -- so there's nothing to call.)
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

With the scores of many of my college games this year, Bob, very few guys look like pitchers.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a no-call to me