The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Is this a balk? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/43913-balk.html)

canadaump6 Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39pm

Is this a balk?

In a game I was doing today, the pitcher would put his hands together while off the rubber, separate them, then step on the rubber and go into his stretch, set and delivery. When he put his hands together while off the rubber there was clearly no intent to decieve any runners, and nobody was decieved. My guess is that he was either adjusting the ball or it was simply a ritual before he actually stepped on the rubber. I'm still not sure whether this should have been called a balk due to the pitcher making a motion associated with his pitch while off the rubber, but I didn't call a balk.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6
In a game I was doing today, the pitcher would put his hands together while off the rubber, separate them, then step on the rubber and go into his stretch, set and delivery. When he put his hands together while off the rubber there was clearly no intent to decieve any runners, and nobody was decieved. My guess is that he was either adjusting the ball or it was simply a ritual before he actually stepped on the rubber. I'm still not sure whether this should have been called a balk due to the pitcher making a motion associated with his pitch while off the rubber, but I didn't call a balk.

To my knowledge, a pitcher cannot balk if he's not on the rubber. But, no, this is not a balk. Until he gets on the rubber, he's not under the jurisdiction of the pitching rules.

UMP25 Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue
To my knowledge, a pitcher cannot balk if he's not on the rubber.

Yes he can, but that doesn't mean the OP's situation is a balk.

Regardless, as I stated, a pitcher can, indeed, commit a balk while off the rubber.

bob jenkins Mon Apr 28, 2008 07:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6

Did he look like a "pitcher" while he was doing this, or did he just look like "someone on the mound but not on the rubber?"

Would anyone watching think he might have been on the rubber?

(My guesses on those questions are (1) the latter and (2) no -- so there's nothing to call.)

UMP25 Mon Apr 28, 2008 08:53am

With the scores of many of my college games this year, Bob, very few guys look like pitchers. :p

bossman72 Mon Apr 28, 2008 04:37pm

sounds like a no-call to me