The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:23pm
Is this a legal title?

Somebody created a screen name of "The All Knowing Garth", lists his home state as Washington and uses the WFB quote used by GarthB as the sig line. Dislike? Hate? It just seems like satire to me; a mocking of Garth's tendency to come across like a charter member of the umpiring-knowledge oligarchy.

That aside, I think you guys give the OF and the internet BBs in general way too much credit. It's entertainment far more than information. Just looking at OF, at a given point today it had 16,717 registered members and a bit over 464,000 posts. The top 60 posters accounted for 224,000 of the posts--about 48%. While certainly some good information can be found here from time to time, it is really more the personal playground for a few guys who either like to debate or have something to say about everything than it is a "valuable tool". There's precious little original material here; its greatest value is in the ability to get someone else to look up things for you in order to feed their need to be recognized as an expert.

While the baby left, so did the bath water. Garth did his fair share and more of lampooning people, but when somebody did it back, it was characterized as a "personal attack." He had tons of posts that were better suited to private emails (his health problems, his family life, etc.) than posting on a BB. His leaving will likely open the door for wider participation by people who didn't care to post as long as he was around. Many of them have resumes, too.

Just because people try to give offense doesn't mean you have to take it.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's time I added my 2 cents worth, as Garth's post was addressed to me and I have been a topic of discussion in this thread. There are a lot of points to address and I will do so in a poster-by-poster manner.

First of all Garth, despite the fact that you and I have quarreled over the past, I do regard you as a decent person. I do think you and I both made mistakes along the way- I said some very immature things, and in looking back a few months ago I realize I came on way too strong at times. I do feel that you provoked me on occasion, which caused me to say some things I shouldn't have.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on what Donovan or Walter may have done with your name as I did not find any evidence of it occurring. The fact that I have no evidence of their actions does not rule out the possibility of it happening.

I would like to explain to some of my harsh critics exactly why I allied myself with Walter and Donovan. I sign up an account for umpire.org, am uninformed of some of the customs that take place there, and get lambasted for it. I sign up for this forum, get along a bit better, but am still called a "troll" and other unkind things by people who have nothing better to do with their lives than put down others. I start saying stupid things, partly to get a few people going, and partly as an act of defiance against those who have upset me. Pile-ons ensue, due in part to the fact that I said some immature things.

Then a guy called fitump56 joins the board. He makes over 10 posts a day just like I did when I first started out at umpire.org. He and I share a chuckle over the PM system over how many posts he makes. Eventually he takes a stand for me when I get piled on. Naturally, I return the favour and stick up for him when people call him an "idiot" and a "troll".

Now tell me, would most of you not be tempted to take fitump's side if he stuck up for you when you were being attacked? Is it really that surprising that I would side with fitump and InterestedUmp? NEVER have they called me a troll or made other personal remarks. Or should I just side with the good guys? The guys like Ozzy who call me an idiot, a WOBW, among other nasty things. Who would you guys side with if faced with my situation? Think about it and tell me if you can blame me for taking their side.

While I am not impressed with how Walter and Donovan reacted towards Mr. Drake in the past couple of days, I do still do have quite a bit of sympathy for them. They get called nasty things, and get accused of bringing this forum downhill, just as I do.

I am afraid I simply do not know what they are being accused of doing on the high school forum. It sure seems a bit much to tarnish Garth's name, but I do not think he is totally innocent in this case either.

Now for the people that cite me as a reason for this forum going downhill, in particular socalblue. I think the claim that I am a troll who has ruined this place is complete and utter BS. I have rarely made more than 2 post in the past few days. I NEVER impersonated anyone. I simply stood by the guys who treated me decently. To be considered a "problem account" for doing next to nothing is OUTRAGEOUS. Isn't it ironic that socalblue, the same man who has made snide remarks at me in the past, is now blaming me for the downfall of this forum.

Ump29, I take offence to what you said about me being a "black spot" against umpiring in Canada. I haven't done anything to deserve that kind of a remark. What a disgusting thing to say about a fellow blue brother.

I think that what has transpired here over the past few days is a good lesson to the veterans of this forum that their words do have consequences just like anybody else's. Nonetheless, I do not condone malicious or dishonest behaviour in any form, and do not support online slander from either party. Garth, I am sorry to hear that things went as far as they did, and thank you for thinking of my best interests in your final post.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

sucks to see Garth leave. hes one of the only people i read on here, especially in the last year or two.

i guess its a good thing im not a moderator/admin on this site, becuase on another site i admin i will just delete (and keep deleting) any and all trolls no matter how many times they come back.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 11:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

my guess is that he'll be back. i don't know him, that's just my guess. Time will tell.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
It pains me to have read the stuff that has lead to some of the good posters to leave this forum, but I understand why and agree with their decision.

For those of you, who have caused this thing to get to the point it has right now, please do not come back. You are ruining the opportunity for those who enjoy this site and learn information from this site to do just that.

Don't spoil it for everyone else.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Not much of an 'if' here, Jeff. Most people believe what they read without giving a thought of its source. Sad, but true.
Why do you care what some person you will never met, know or deal with thinks? That is the problem right there if you ask me. And I care even less when it is with people I do not know.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

GB, I too wish you would reconsider. I hate to see someone with your insight leave this forum due to the rantings of a few dumb a$$'s.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
Somebody created a screen name of "The All Knowing Garth", lists his home state as Washington and uses the WFB quote used by GarthB as the sig line. Dislike? Hate? It just seems like satire to me; a mocking of Garth's tendency to come across like a charter member of the umpiring-knowledge oligarchy.
Another member of the toll family speaks out.

Publius (or FitUmp, InterestedUmp, Steven Tyler or whoever you really are), how about this:

Somebody, possibly the man in your mirror, posts a statement claiming as fact that Rob Drake spoke to them disparagingly about Garth. The real Rob Drake then said that was a lie.

Then, coincidentally, someone posts on a different site using Garth's name, his signature line and his home state.

Satire? Doubtful. It would be easier to accept this as satire if it occured where Garth and those of us who know him post. Satire requires that the audience know the target. To post on a board full of people who had never heard of Garth or knew of his opinions is not satire. That post was intended to be hidden from its target. The intent was obviously more malicious.

Garth saw this as an escalation that could easily get out of control. If these idiots progressed to that level, at what point would they move to the next level of stealing his, or someone elses identity?

You are right in one regard. He did reveal too much of his personal life and that, too, became fodder for the manure throwers. He says that is one of many lessons he has learned.

Now, go back under your bridge.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Apr 12, 2008 at 01:18pm.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why do you care what some person you will never met, know or deal with thinks? That is the problem right there if you ask me. And I care even less when it is with people I do not know.

Peace
Jeff,

I wasn't arguing your point. Simply stating that it will happen. Personally, I don't care what people whom I have no respect for think of me.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Jeff,

I wasn't arguing your point. Simply stating that it will happen. Personally, I don't care what people whom I have no respect for think of me.
I was not arguing any point, just stating a truth.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
That aside, I think you guys give the OF and the internet BBs in general way too much credit. It's entertainment far more than information.
That's part of the problem. Some of us prefer to use it for information. Those who wnat to use a forum for entertainment are free to do so -- on their own forum.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 02:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex
I wasn't speaking of hijacking identities, per se, but rather choosing identities to lampoon other members.

The name fitump was chosen for a reason. The name on the HS ball forum was chosen for a reason. I reiterate, it appears to be a pattern that I am witnessing.
t-rex,
I do not understand your inferences.
Are not most names chosen for a reason?
What HS ball forum?
What pattern?
Thanks.
Closed Thread