The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie
A question on mechanics with reference to this play:

Did the U3 (Dreckman) ask for help and therefore, there was a conference that ultimately led to a reversal of the call?

OR did the crew chief (I believe Davis) on his own call for a conference, and that ultimately led to the reversal (Dreckman changing his call)?

The report I read in the paper indicated that Davis called for a conference among the umpires first. If it did occur this way, is this an acceptable procedure for umpire crew (whether 2-man, 3-man, 4-man, or 6-man) to at least start a discussion?
I was watching the game and never did understand the mechanics. If U3 was unsure he should have looked to U2 who had a much better view of the play.

But upon watching the replay U2 was acting like he did not see anything.

The other thing from what I saw is that U3 was surprised by the catch attempt and did not go out hardly at all which put him in a straighline since the F8 was coming right at him.

But once U3 asked for help I'm sure that U2 and U1 both had seen the no catch.

I can understand the award of one base, but since the passing of runner is a live ball play, (ball is not dead) then he could have been called out.

Shortly after this PU missed a close pitch and allowed Hudson to vent and Cox. I thought that was unusual but I'm sure they all felt like they had enough egg on their faces.

thanks
David
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B

Shortly after this PU missed a close pitch and allowed Hudson to vent and Cox.
How does one "vent and Cox?"

Never mind. I don't want to know.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
But upon watching the replay U2 was acting like he did not see anything.
That would be Brian Gorman, who acts that way all the time. Hustle is not in his vocabulary.

(Note: In a 4-man crew it's not the second base umpire's call on such a fly ball when U2 is in the infield. My lack of hustle comment refers to the many times I've seen Gorman look totally lazy out there.)
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:22pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Gentlemen,

Correct me if I'm wrong: But if I'm not mistaken precedent was set two seasons ago when a crew changed a "foul" call to "fair" (NOT on a homerun or ground rule double).

Up until that point, we had had reversals of "fair" to "foul" (which are easy to do because all the umps have to do is put everyone back to their TOP base and add a "strike" on the batter's count).

But I believe this play was the first time we had the opposite: A "foul" changed to "fair" (when the ball did not leave the playing field), all pursuant to the "get it right" mantra.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves me correct, this was a big to-do two seasons ago.

If my memory IS correct...then I believe that game truly serves as the precedent in which MLB umpires told the world that, "we're gonna get it right...no matter what".
I have your back on this lawump, one more reason that Replay is on its way in and Old Guard on their wau O-U-T
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Sounds like MLB has instructed to get it right no matter what rules/conventional logic you need to use. They basically guessed the end of the play!

Granted, it is what probably should have happened. But suddenly baseball is the only sport that can go back and guess like this. Player is ruled out of bounds in football and then gets tackled 15 yards down field, tough luck. Can't guess the end of the play. Same with basketball, call him OOB, he's out, end of story.

I just don't like it one bit... after they ruled no catch, shouldn't have R1 been out on force when F8 threw to 2B to double up R2.

Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough...
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
are you seriously a fan of replay on stuff like this? I hear your argument but I don't think that replay is applicable on plays like this. That takes the human element out of the game. The human element is very much needed in baseball umpiring. Perhaps more than any other sport, IMO.
That seems to be the argument "taking out the human element of the game" but the game should not be decided if there is technology to fix things.

All other major sports have replay. Also, the NCAA uses replay for basketball / football

Let's take last night's NCAA Championship game between Memphis and Kansas.

Rose the Memphis point guard hit an incredible shot as time was expiring. He was originally credited with a 3 point field goal.

However, later on the play was reviewed and changed to a 2 point field goal (the proper ruling because Rose when he took the shot had one foot inside the 3 point circle)

The game eventually went into over-time. Had that call not been reversed Memphis might have won the game by that 1 point.

Personally I do not understand most people not wanting replay in baseball. The game has changed from what it was in the so called "glory days" so IMO it's time to add IR to baseball.

IMO, it will not add time because the umpires already huddle and discuss.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:
Personally I do not understand most people not wanting replay in baseball. The game has changed from what it was in the so called "glory days" so IMO it's time to add IR to baseball.

Pete Booth
Since, its been implied by a certain poster that I'm in some "new guard", I'll post my 2-cents:

I'm in favor of replay in some form for plays that don't require the umpires to have ask one another in their huddle, "now that we reversed the call...what would have happened had we called it right originally?"

For example: It is very easy to change a "fair" call to "foul" after the play is over if one is using replay. Just put all the runners on their TOP base and the batter back at-bat with a "strike" added to his count.

However, if the umpires were to change a "foul" call (hit down the line (but NOT over the outfield fence) ) to "fair" via replay...they now have to play GOD to determine "what would've happened". That, IMO, should not be allowed under a replay system.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

PMFBI... As a fan of MLB, I disagree strongly that replay should be used. I also do not like the use of the QuesTec for controlling the strike zone.

One of the reasons (IMO) baseball is such a good game is due to the officiating by completely human umpires, including their skills and their approaches to the game.

If using technology to call the "perfect" game was such a good thing, why did Curt Schilling take a bat to one of the QuesTec cameras recently?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

That seems to be the argument "taking out the human element of the game" but the game should not be decided if there is technology to fix things.

All other major sports have replay. Also, the NCAA uses replay for basketball / football

Let's take last night's NCAA Championship game between Memphis and Kansas.

Rose the Memphis point guard hit an incredible shot as time was expiring. He was originally credited with a 3 point field goal.

However, later on the play was reviewed and changed to a 2 point field goal (the proper ruling because Rose when he took the shot had one foot inside the 3 point circle)

The game eventually went into over-time. Had that call not been reversed Memphis might have won the game by that 1 point.

Pete Booth
Pete I see your point, but you're not comparing apples to apples. In basketball the change from a 3 to a two is done often without replay.

One official signals three, the other has two and changes. Even the use of the replay didn't affect any of the playing action.

In baseball so much of the playing action hinges on the call that is made at that time - a catch, missed ball, fair/foul etc.,

Watching the game unfold the other day at Atlanta was bad, it looked bad, and all of the players were speechless.

As mentioned, even Bobby "eject" Cox had nothing to say bad about the call or the umpires.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:53pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
PMFBI... As a fan of MLB, I disagree strongly that replay should be used. I also do not like the use of the QuesTec for controlling the strike zone.

One of the reasons (IMO) baseball is such a good game is due to the officiating by completely human umpires, including their skills and their approaches to the game.

If using technology to call the "perfect" game was such a good thing, why did Curt Schilling take a bat to one of the QuesTec cameras recently?
If Curt Schilling is your Poster Boi for "why no technology in baseball officiating" God Help The Old Guard.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:14pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
are you seriously a fan of replay on stuff like this?
Very seriously and IU, myself and others have chimed in with specific prposals when to and not to use it.

Quote:
I hear your argument but I don't think that replay is applicable on plays like this. That takes the human element out of the game. The human element is very much needed in baseball umpiring. Perhaps more than any other sport, IMO.
The human element, if meant to mean mistakes that could be undone with using technology, you can have it. I'm for calling the game so that thbest team wins and officiating mistakes are minimized.

Quote:
and who is this "old guard" you keep speaking of? i think all of us that are out there for the betterment of umpiring everywhere are really on the same team and are not divided up by "old guard" and whoever their archrival is. (?New Guard?)
Here's a wake up call. You're dreaming. Or your MITB has gone terminal.

Quote:
These statements are growing old. Seriously just comment on the situation and say what your opinion is. Don't label or stereotype people the way you are.
Youth grows old, one day you will wake up and:

1) When a DR tells you to rest, yo will rest
2) You will listen instead of buying junk protecive gear and endangering your health
3) You will clearly recognize the Old Guard because you will see them as you or not you.

Love,
The Deej "new Guardian"

"New Guardian Rules

We don't attack or diminish the youth
We don't take anything at face value without constant (re)inspection
We do assume everything can be changed since all comes from hoomans
We do expect that there will be resistance
We don't dribble in our cups like the Old Guard.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

This whole thread needs RIGHT GUARD (tm) because something stinks.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
If Curt Schilling is your Poster Boi for "why no technology in baseball officiating" God Help The Old Guard.
I clearly identified my perspective on this as a fan, not a member of the guard, old or new. My point with Schilling was simple, but apparently not simple enough for you to comprehend. Umpires don't like the "technology" solution. Neither do pitchers. Why? It removes the human element (or in the case of QuesTec, just distorts it, since the technology still requires a different human to calibrate it, and the umpires and players recognize that each ball park calibrates it differently).

And, neither does this fan like the technology-supplied solution.

Getting the technically correct call 100% of the time by using technology is not a good thing, IMO. I disagree at this fundamental level. 100% correct calls enforced by automatons is not the holy grail of the ideal baseball game.

Anyone who thinks the "technology" will end with QuesTec and video replay fails to recognize the real trend. Eventually, the technology will be there to use electronic sensors to make sure many more parts of the game are done 100% "correctly." Will this make baseball a better game? Absolutely NOT!
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
That's rich. Pot, meet kettle.

Machine-generated accuracy (whatever percentage) has not improved baseball and increasing the percentage further with machines will not improve baseball. The "uniform" strike zone is also a myth, whether in QuesTec parks or not.

You can argue all you want about what MLB wants. With that farce of a pretend commissioner, what MLB wants has not been in the best interests of baseball for some time now.
Excellent post, start to finish.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 01:41pm
rei

Interesting that people are against athletes using technology (is steroids not a form of technology?) to improve their part of the game, but all for replay to improve the umpires part of the game?

I say, if you rule out steroids, you HAVE to rule out replay.

I am sticking with that.