View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
If Curt Schilling is your Poster Boi for "why no technology in baseball officiating" God Help The Old Guard.
I clearly identified my perspective on this as a fan, not a member of the guard, old or new. My point with Schilling was simple, but apparently not simple enough for you to comprehend. Umpires don't like the "technology" solution. Neither do pitchers. Why? It removes the human element (or in the case of QuesTec, just distorts it, since the technology still requires a different human to calibrate it, and the umpires and players recognize that each ball park calibrates it differently).

And, neither does this fan like the technology-supplied solution.

Getting the technically correct call 100% of the time by using technology is not a good thing, IMO. I disagree at this fundamental level. 100% correct calls enforced by automatons is not the holy grail of the ideal baseball game.

Anyone who thinks the "technology" will end with QuesTec and video replay fails to recognize the real trend. Eventually, the technology will be there to use electronic sensors to make sure many more parts of the game are done 100% "correctly." Will this make baseball a better game? Absolutely NOT!