The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
semperfiguy,

FED actually suggests the left hand held straight out to the side in a fist as a "delayed dead ball" mechanic. Everybody I know does as you do.

JM
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
semperfiguy,

FED actually suggests the left hand held straight out to the side in a fist as a "delayed dead ball" mechanic. Everybody I know does as you do.

JM
FED has a number of silly suggestions in their mechanics book.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 04:53pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfiguy
What do you use for fed rules/mechanics for a delayed dead ball anyways??? I usually point to the infraction and state thats "interference,obstruction" which ever applys.
I use the international sign for killing the play in which interference occurs. You know, the one where you put both hands in the air and say, "Time".
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'm always afraid that if I yell "That's obstruction", everyone is going to stop and look at me (Waiting for a ruling). What would you do in that situation: (1) Nothing, (2) Quietly tell the catcher and BR that the ball is still live, (3) Other???
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 08:23pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave
I'm always afraid that if I yell "That's obstruction", everyone is going to stop and look at me (Waiting for a ruling). What would you do in that situation: (1) Nothing, (2) Quietly tell the catcher and BR that the ball is still live, (3) Other???
Nothing. It's up to the players to know the rules.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 08:27pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I've never heard anyone say that they use the DDB signal. It's a dud.
We'ev had this discussion before. You need to tell everyone that you umpire in parks with no crown noise and perfect acoustics and that you are a concet stage level orator.

The fact that you hav never seen this mechanic means you need to seriously get a new set od partners.

Quote:
The BU should keep his mouth shut, as it's not EVER his call. Only time I can think that he might get involved is with a rookie PU, but even then I'd let it go and talk to him about it after an inning or two.
See above except reverse, your partners need a new partner.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Nothing. It's up to the players to know the rules.
You're saying we shouldn't say anything when obstruction without a play occurs? I was always taught to point and say "that's obstruction".
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
You're saying we shouldn't say anything when obstruction without a play occurs? I was always taught to point and say "that's obstruction".
No, no, what the Deej is saying, in his slow and duh-duh way pertains to the post regarding what to do when such action is taken by an umpire. The poster was concerned that the players would stop, or ask for help, etc. Hence, "the players are required to know the rules" or whatever he said in his near drunk status.

Kidding, Deej, kidding.

Point shows where the OBS occured, vocalization announces the rule violated, add the appropriate sign (if your rule set requires or suggests) such as the fist clenched to the side.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If "everyone stops", then the play is over. Call time and make the awards.

On the DDB signal -- I point at and announce the obstruction, then make the DDB signal, then drop it after a couple of seconds. I don't run around for the rest of the play with my arm out.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

On the DDB signal -- I point at and announce the obstruction, then make the DDB signal, then drop it after a couple of seconds. I don't run around for the rest of the play with my arm out.
Good suggestion and the way I was taught and have taught for years.

And, it works very well also, has stood the test of time so that's always a good thing.

Thansk
David
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I run around with it out and make sure I do a Hulk Hogan clothesline on at least two of the assistant rats (aka rat-lets). Then I do the thing where I cup my hands to my ears and wait for the applause. Good thing I keep my meds in my (leather) ball bag.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

If they stop, well, happy day. The awards are easier and nothing weird can happen.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:

Whynot? Arm too heavy? Keeping the DDB is a good way to do what you say above. It shows that the call was made and held and now is being enforced. It will keep a coach from asking about when or if you made the DDB.