The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,577
BR runs into batted ball

JV TWP, but it happened. I have been thinking about it all day and would like your input.

R2, 0 outs, outside pitch, RHB swings and makes contact. The ball deflects off hard ground from leftside batter's box near plate and bounces at least belt high out in front of plate about two feet. When B/R realizes the direction of the 1st hop, he takes off for 1B and catcher takes off for the ball. The ball glances off the B/R leg about ankle/shin high and into the grass in fair territory. The catcher still manages to make the out at 1B.

1) Did I have immediate interference, return runner to 2B?
2) Did I have no interference since the B/R helped improve the catcher's throwing lane to 1B and the out on B/R was recorded anyway.
3) Did I simply have a foul ball, when contact was made by a RHB in front of home plate as he cleared the rightside batter's box?

It happened really fast. I chose option 2, although I thought really hard about option 1 and the BC called time to explain that I had missed option 3. I explained that the ball was never inside the RH batter's box and that I let the play run its course. R2 advanced on the play. What should I now learn about a play like this one?

Edited to add link: http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...%20diagram.pdf

Last edited by SAump; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 10:18pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In.
Posts: 2,192
Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It sounds like you missed an interference call, which should have been an immediate dead ball. There's a small area of exemption of the batters box on or over fair territory where we allow the play to proceed should a batter get struck by his own batted ball without making an interference call. But being struck two feet out in front of home plate should have warranted a call.



Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
There's a small area of exemption of the batters box on or over fair territory where we allow the play to proceed should a batter get struck by his own batted ball without making an interference call.
Tim.
I thought if the BR touches a batted ball while in the box it's foul.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
I thought if the BR touches a batted ball while in the box it's foul.
That's the difference between the written rule and accepted practice.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
The ball deflects off hard ground from leftside batter's box near plate and bounces at least belt high out in front of plate about two feet. When B/R realizes the direction of the 1st hop, he takes off for 1B and catcher takes off for the ball. The ball glances off the B/R leg about ankle/shin high and into the grass in fair territory.
Interference. Call time, return runners.

Quote:
The catcher still manages to make the out at 1B.
Who cares? Play's over.


Quote:
1) Did I have immediate interference, return runner to 2B?
If, as you indicated, contact took place two feet into fair territory, then, Yes.

Quote:
2) Did I have no interference since the B/R helped improve the catcher's throwing lane to 1B and the out on B/R was recorded anyway.
Very creative thought, but no.

Quote:
3) Did I simply have a foul ball, when contact was made by a RHB in front of home plate as he cleared the rightside batter's box?
See answer to #1.
__________________
GB
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 101
I had a similiar play on friday and kicked the call. B1 made contact with ball in the box and then rolled in fair terr. I let the play go on and should have called foul. Its hard sometimes to see this play, everything happens so fast around the dish. Although not an excuse, but I was working solo at the game and bases were occupied.
Oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 425
If the batter has one of his two feet on the ground completely outside of the batter's box and has contact with the fair ball. INT

If the batter has two feet in the box or one in and the other in the air when contact is made. FOUL
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wa.
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43
If the batter has one of his two feet on the ground completely outside of the batter's box and has contact with the fair ball. INT

If the batter has two feet in the box or one in and the other in the air when contact is made. FOUL
Hold on, a ball which strikes the BR while he's in the box is one thing. Ball goes straight down and immediately bounces into the B, sure foul.

BR touching a batted ball is another. Consider a pop up, nobody see's where it went, BR starts for first as F2 steps on the plate they collide, nothing so far, this should be ruled incidental contact thus far. Now the fair ball comes down and srikes BR on the helmet as he has one foot on the plate and one in the box, ball goes into dugout. He ain't getting no double outta me, he's out for being touched by his fair batted ball.

According to
OBR.6.05 A batter is out when—
(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder;
__________________
SLAS
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Batted ball touches the batter while in the box = foul ball.

Batted ball touches the batter while out of the box = immediate dead ball and out for interference.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
Hold on, a ball which strikes the BR while he's in the box is one thing. Ball goes straight down and immediately bounces into the B, sure foul.

BR touching a batted ball is another. Consider a pop up, nobody see's where it went, BR starts for first as F2 steps on the plate they collide, nothing so far, this should be ruled incidental contact thus far. Now the fair ball comes down and srikes BR on the helmet as he has one foot on the plate and one in the box, ball goes into dugout. He ain't getting no double outta me, he's out for being touched by his fair batted ball.

According to
OBR.6.05 A batter is out when—
(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder;
As long as the batter has one foot on the ground entirely outside of the batter's box, I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 10:55pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a hut
Posts: 911
Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43
As long as the batter has one foot on the ground entirely outside of the batter's box, I agree.
I don't care if it's OBR, NFHS or DiddleDuck League (LL), I have a fair ball and an F2 making a play, B is leaving/left the box, OUT.
__________________
"Never try to teach a pig to eat reasonably. It wastes your time and the pig will argue that he is fat because of genetics. While drinking a 2.675 six packs a day."
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:06am
BigGuy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
In the OP, the ball didn't bounce up and hit him. It hit him AFTER he started moving. Two feet in front of the plate is not in the batter's box. I've got INT all the way. Anyway you look at it the ball is dead. Some might stretch it to call foul ball, but there is no way there can be any play by F2.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I don't care if it's OBR, NFHS or DiddleDuck League (LL), I have a fair ball and an F2 making a play, B is leaving/left the box, OUT.

Just so I can start the protest report.....You saw the batted ball hit the batter-runner two feet in front of the plate, and you called it fair?

Circle the wagons.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Just so I can start the protest report.....You saw the batted ball hit the batter-runner two feet in front of the plate, and you called it fair?

Circle the wagons.
And the wagons begin circling.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Just so I can start the protest report.....You saw the batted ball hit the batter-runner two feet in front of the plate, and you called it fair?

Circle the wagons.

Uh...what territory is two feet in front of the plate? Not including Calvin Ball, of course.
__________________
GB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four runs on a foul ball BuggBob Softball 5 Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:25am
Dead ball passing runners, runs scoring mikebran Baseball 23 Sun Feb 27, 2005 09:24am
batted ball briank0627 Baseball 1 Mon Nov 08, 2004 09:29am
Batted ball hits BR Dakota Softball 9 Fri Sep 26, 2003 09:52am
ball batted twice coreyboy Softball 3 Wed Jun 11, 2003 09:56am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1