The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

BR runs into batted ball

JV TWP, but it happened. I have been thinking about it all day and would like your input.

R2, 0 outs, outside pitch, RHB swings and makes contact. The ball deflects off hard ground from leftside batter's box near plate and bounces at least belt high out in front of plate about two feet. When B/R realizes the direction of the 1st hop, he takes off for 1B and catcher takes off for the ball. The ball glances off the B/R leg about ankle/shin high and into the grass in fair territory. The catcher still manages to make the out at 1B.

1) Did I have immediate interference, return runner to 2B?
2) Did I have no interference since the B/R helped improve the catcher's throwing lane to 1B and the out on B/R was recorded anyway.
3) Did I simply have a foul ball, when contact was made by a RHB in front of home plate as he cleared the rightside batter's box?

It happened really fast. I chose option 2, although I thought really hard about option 1 and the BC called time to explain that I had missed option 3. I explained that the ball was never inside the RH batter's box and that I let the play run its course. R2 advanced on the play. What should I now learn about a play like this one?

Edited to add link: http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...%20diagram.pdf

Last edited by SAump; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 10:18pm.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It sounds like you missed an interference call, which should have been an immediate dead ball. There's a small area of exemption of the batters box on or over fair territory where we allow the play to proceed should a batter get struck by his own batted ball without making an interference call. But being struck two feet out in front of home plate should have warranted a call.

Tim.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
There's a small area of exemption of the batters box on or over fair territory where we allow the play to proceed should a batter get struck by his own batted ball without making an interference call.
Tim.
I thought if the BR touches a batted ball while in the box it's foul.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
I thought if the BR touches a batted ball while in the box it's foul.
That's the difference between the written rule and accepted practice.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
The ball deflects off hard ground from leftside batter's box near plate and bounces at least belt high out in front of plate about two feet. When B/R realizes the direction of the 1st hop, he takes off for 1B and catcher takes off for the ball. The ball glances off the B/R leg about ankle/shin high and into the grass in fair territory.
Interference. Call time, return runners.

Quote:
The catcher still manages to make the out at 1B.
Who cares? Play's over.

Quote:
1) Did I have immediate interference, return runner to 2B?
If, as you indicated, contact took place two feet into fair territory, then, Yes.

Quote:
2) Did I have no interference since the B/R helped improve the catcher's throwing lane to 1B and the out on B/R was recorded anyway.
Very creative thought, but no.

Quote:
3) Did I simply have a foul ball, when contact was made by a RHB in front of home plate as he cleared the rightside batter's box?
See answer to #1.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similiar play on friday and kicked the call. B1 made contact with ball in the box and then rolled in fair terr. I let the play go on and should have called foul. Its hard sometimes to see this play, everything happens so fast around the dish. Although not an excuse, but I was working solo at the game and bases were occupied.
Oh well.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

If the batter has one of his two feet on the ground completely outside of the batter's box and has contact with the fair ball. INT

If the batter has two feet in the box or one in and the other in the air when contact is made. FOUL
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43
If the batter has one of his two feet on the ground completely outside of the batter's box and has contact with the fair ball. INT

If the batter has two feet in the box or one in and the other in the air when contact is made. FOUL
Hold on, a ball which strikes the BR while he's in the box is one thing. Ball goes straight down and immediately bounces into the B, sure foul.

BR touching a batted ball is another. Consider a pop up, nobody see's where it went, BR starts for first as F2 steps on the plate they collide, nothing so far, this should be ruled incidental contact thus far. Now the fair ball comes down and srikes BR on the helmet as he has one foot on the plate and one in the box, ball goes into dugout. He ain't getting no double outta me, he's out for being touched by his fair batted ball.

According to
OBR.6.05 A batter is out when—
(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder;
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Batted ball touches the batter while in the box = foul ball.

Batted ball touches the batter while out of the box = immediate dead ball and out for interference.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
Hold on, a ball which strikes the BR while he's in the box is one thing. Ball goes straight down and immediately bounces into the B, sure foul.

BR touching a batted ball is another. Consider a pop up, nobody see's where it went, BR starts for first as F2 steps on the plate they collide, nothing so far, this should be ruled incidental contact thus far. Now the fair ball comes down and srikes BR on the helmet as he has one foot on the plate and one in the box, ball goes into dugout. He ain't getting no double outta me, he's out for being touched by his fair batted ball.

According to
OBR.6.05 A batter is out when—
(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder;
As long as the batter has one foot on the ground entirely outside of the batter's box, I agree.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 10:55pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43
As long as the batter has one foot on the ground entirely outside of the batter's box, I agree.
I don't care if it's OBR, NFHS or DiddleDuck League (LL), I have a fair ball and an F2 making a play, B is leaving/left the box, OUT.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:06am
BigGuy

In the OP, the ball didn't bounce up and hit him. It hit him AFTER he started moving. Two feet in front of the plate is not in the batter's box. I've got INT all the way. Anyway you look at it the ball is dead. Some might stretch it to call foul ball, but there is no way there can be any play by F2.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I don't care if it's OBR, NFHS or DiddleDuck League (LL), I have a fair ball and an F2 making a play, B is leaving/left the box, OUT.

Just so I can start the protest report.....You saw the batted ball hit the batter-runner two feet in front of the plate, and you called it fair?

Circle the wagons.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Just so I can start the protest report.....You saw the batted ball hit the batter-runner two feet in front of the plate, and you called it fair?

Circle the wagons.
And the wagons begin circling.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex

Circle the wagons.

Uh...what territory is two feet in front of the plate? Not including Calvin Ball, of course.