The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

First game tommorrow

Have my first game on the bases. Any points of reference I should be aware of from the experts? What to look for the most?? Please don't says balks, I'm praying I don't have to call any.lol
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Pregame.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Tomorrow? Sheesh. There still snow here - our season doesn't start for a month.

I've been dreaming about calling pitches. Anybody want to invite me somewhere warm to work some weekend? I'll be in LA in march...
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Had my first game on Tuesday. Great game too, plus got to meet an assistant coach by the name of Craig Biggio (nice guy by the way). Worked the plate and wore a HSM for the first time, cant complain.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

~Heavy Sigh~

"Any points of reference I should be aware of from the experts? What to look for the most??"

Be ready for "The Skunk in the Outfield Play."

Seriously, have you had any training?

Regards,
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

rngrck,

Is this your first game ever, or your first game this season?

When working the bases (2-man), my primary "reference points" are the bases, the pitcher's plate, and the 1B line.

Although you don't want to do this to the point of "target fixation", I would "mostly" look for the ball - not the only thing you need to be aware of, but that is where most "stuff" happens. Also, watch out for those icy patches on the field.

Good luck.

JM
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Have my first game on the bases. Any points of reference I should be aware of from the experts? What to look for the most?? Please don't says balks, I'm praying I don't have to call any.lol
In order to answer properly

Is your first game a HS game?
College Game?
Rec league Game?

Etc

Pete Booth
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would say just call it like any other game. Use your knowledge of rules, game management, positioning, mechanics, etc. as you would in any other game and enjoy the dawning of a new season. As for balks, remember that what you call or don't call sets the standards for the entire season.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

First HS ball for me. Have done softball in the past and just coming off 1st year in basketball officiating. I'm fully trained but like any other rookie, a little bit nervous. I just wanted to focus on a few things at a time. Most of my anxiety will be recognizng balks if any.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
First HS ball for me. Have done softball in the past and just coming off 1st year in basketball officiating. I'm fully trained but like any other rookie, a little bit nervous. I just wanted to focus on a few things at a time. Most of my anxiety will be recognizng balks if any.
Three words to live by. Pause, read, react. Don't worry so much about balks. You will get more grief calling them than if you don't. In other words, don't call it unless you're sure.

In most cases, the pitcher will do something stupid and they are easy for all to see.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:41pm
Veteran College Umpire

Odds are you'll be working with a more senior umpire. Let him call the balks if you aren't sure. Focus on the basics - safes and outs, balls and strikes. Think timing, timing, timing. Let the plays happen and let the plays convince you of their outcome. Give your brain time to process what you just saw. Then you'll make your calls with confidence.
Oh, and have fun!

JJ
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
-Remember your training and rulebook
-Be crisp and loud on your calls
-Be sharp on your mechancs- be where you are supposed to be
-Walk on that field like you own it. Don't be timid (yet, don't be cocky or a harda$$). Act like you belong.
-Be confident in what you know. If you see a balk, and you know it's a balk, don't hesitate- call it!
-Sell your calls when appropriate
-Learn from that game
-GOOD LUCK!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
As for balks, remember that what you call or don't call sets the standards for the entire season.
I assume you are speaking for all of Canada and not where baseball is really played.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
First HS ball for me.
HS plays by FED rules (in most states) .

Since this is your first HS game my suggestion would be to FORGET about OBR rules and concentrate on FED rules. Trying to Co-mingle them can get you into trouble.

As another poster mentioned unless your are CERTAIN that F1 committed a balk do not call it. Again this is one big area that differes from OBR so until you get "comfortable" do not worry about it.

Hopefully your first HS game is not at the varsity level. Normally most HS associations would assign you to a modified game (made up of 7th/8th/9th graders) during your first season UNLESS you are a veteran umpire who has experience and moved into a new area.

If possible have someone whom you trust go watch the game at least 1/2 the game so you can get an honest critique. Do not get "bent out of shape" over CONSTRUCTIVE critisim from an individual you trust. They are just trying to make you a better umpire.

IMO, there is nothing like getting a post game critique from someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy. That's how I learned.

Do not get too nervous and try to have fun out there. The rest will come if you are dedicated and truly want to learn and improove.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sharp safe/out mechanic?

Know the situation before the ball is hit on the ground to the infield.
Know the situation before the ball is hit into the outfield.
Move quickly into the "working" area. Keep out of the throwing lanes.
Watch the ball in play and the throw, then watch the runner near the base.
Position for the play, pause, read, and reflect, then make your call.
1) Proper use of the eyes; 2) use of the ears; and 3) use common sense.

Don't miss an uncaught 3rd strike w/< 2 outs, or IFF situation w/< 2 outs.
Don't miss timing plays {x-IFFR} with 2 outs and uncaught 3rd strike with 2 outs.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 11:27pm.