The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Agree Johnny, but I'm talking about the wind up motion here only.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
6-1-3 Straight from the FED rule book:

Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher of the pitcher's plate and with with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher plate.

This to me has always signified the pitcher is given special permission to contact the front of pitcher's plate in the set position only. 6-1-2 gives no mention of how a pitcher is to contact the rubber. I've seen the slide presentations Tee mentions, so I feel something is amiss somewhere.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying, but I think you are reading something into the rule that isn't there.

For the wind-up position, the *entire* pivot foot need not be on or in front of the rubber. For the set position it must be (that's the second caluse of the sentence you quote). See 6.1.1A
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying, but I think you are reading something into the rule that isn't there.

For the wind-up position, the *entire* pivot foot need not be on or in front of the rubber. For the set position it must be (that's the second caluse of the sentence you quote). See 6.1.1A
yes.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Steve:

The rule clarification was meant to stop pitchers from doing stuff like this and calling it a "wind up":

https://www.eofficials.com/ESO_Repos...tin%20%204.swf
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

And most pitching coaches follow OBR which now officially permits this windup position. (We ignored it in the past anyway but now it's in the book).
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

For the wind-up position, the *entire* pivot foot need not be on or in front of the rubber. For the set position it must be (that's the second clause of the sentence you quote). See 6.1.1A
I understand what you're saying, but the only case play that addresses it is 6.1.1 SITUATION A. All other case plays use the phrase, "F1 steps on the pitcher's plate". What I was getting at was, the only time the pitcher may legally contact the front of the rubber is from the set. The few times I've seen a pitcher start a windup with his heel up against the plate, they lose contact with the rubber during their deliveries way before they should.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
And most pitching coaches follow OBR which now officially permits this windup position. (We ignored it in the past anyway but now it's in the book).
Yeah, but we could still call that a set position since it definitely looks like a set position.

I think what the rule change was trying to say was that the free foot can be SLIGHTLY in front of the rubber.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:18am

Quote:
6-1-3 Straight from the FED rule book:

Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher of the pitcher's plate and with with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher plate.

This to me has always signified the pitcher is given special permission to contact the front of pitcher's plate in the set position only. 6-1-2 gives no mention of how a pitcher is to contact the rubber. I've seen the slide presentations Tee mentions, so I feel something is amiss somewhere.
I think we went through a similar discussion with you on this subject on another site. You are saying that because it says that in the set position, you need to be on the front edge of the rubber, then it must mean that you cannot be there from the windup. This is not what the rule says. 6-1-3 says you must stand that way in the set position. It doesn't say that you can't also stand that same way in the windup. Just because a rule allows or mandates something for one instance, it doesn't necessarily mean that it prohibits such action in another instance. That is just faulty logic, again. You certainly can work the windup with your pivot foot against the front edge of the rubber. I've seen it happen on all levels.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:22am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
No umpire that I know of would call a balk or illegal pitch based on the position of the non-pivot foot. It's such a non-issue. If we got that ticky-tack about foot position out here, we would be labeled an OOO for sure.
Around here, we don't give a damn about labels, we care about callin' ball and in the case your mentionin, the starting position is illegal.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Around here, we don't give a damn about labels, we care about callin' ball and in the case your mentionin, the starting position is illegal.
Then it's a good thing you ain't around here then, ain't it?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:31am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Then it's a good thing you ain't around here then, ain't it?
Got that straight, I stopped working bush leagueball eons ago.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

Got that straight, I stopped working bush leagueball eons ago.
Well, you can think that's what they play out here if it helps you sleep at night, but that's a long way from the truth and you know it, Skip. Some of the best ball in the country goes on right here in SoCal, and I've done more than my share of it over the years. It's about time I gave someone else a shot at it.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:49am
In Time Out

Quote:
Well, you can think that's what they play out here if it helps you sleep at night, but that's a long way from the truth and you know it, Skip. Some of the best ball in the country goes on right here in SoCal, and I've done more than my share of it over the years. It's about time I gave someone else a shot at it.
I agree. With the last sentence.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think we went through a similar discussion with you on this subject on another site. You are saying that because it says that in the set position, you need to be on the front edge of the rubber, then it must mean that you cannot be there from the windup. This is not what the rule says. 6-1-3 says you must stand that way in the set position. It doesn't say that you can't also stand that same way in the windup. Just because a rule allows or mandates something for one instance, it doesn't necessarily mean that it prohibits such action in another instance. That is just faulty logic, again. You certainly can work the windup with your pivot foot against the front edge of the rubber. I've seen it happen on all levels.
Steve,

A legal windup position requires the pitcher to face the batter (Shoulders square to HP in NCAA speak). If F1 doesn't do that it's a stretch position.

While many umpires ignored this in the past, think about the unfair advantage in allowing this position with R3. I'm not talking about a minor technical balk as that can easily be OOO.

The NCAA video is a perfect example of a non-legal windup in all rule sets.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The few times I've seen a pitcher start a windup with his heel up against the plate, they lose contact with the rubber during their deliveries way before they should.
Then it's a balk (or illegal pitch) for pitching while not in contact with the rubber. The startign position, though, is legal, and if the pitcher maintains contact (and it's easy to do so), then the pitch is legal.