The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

MLB Urban Invitational: USC @ Southern

What the hell happened in the top of the third?
I was trying to do two things at once, so I might have missed something.
As I understand it, there was a sinking liner to center field.
The center fielder was running straight in and dove for the ball.
He got a glove on it, but it popped out as he hit the ground.
One umpire called no catch.
Coach from defensive team argued (mildly).
A pitch was thrown to the next batter.
AFTER the pitch, the other base umpire called it a catch.
Naturally, the coach from the offensive team was ejected for arguing (I don't blame him a bit.)
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm just happy to be watching baseball. Stupid cold weather.....
Although with Southern's chanting you'd swear it was softball.....

Last edited by DonInKansas; Sun Mar 02, 2008 at 01:28am.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Don on this one . . . when I saw the ad for this double header earlier today I was very happy. Baseball, at last!!!

I saw the play mentioned above. In my mind, it was not a catch at all. How U3 could come in like that and just announce that it WAS a catch is beyond me. I saw no conference after the initial call of no catch. I did see one after U3 came in and announced that it was an out. I can totally understand why the USC coach came unglued.

Is there some dynamic, rule, mechanic that is utilized at the NCAA level which allows one umpire to hang another out to flap in the breeze???

Just curious.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

I did not see this game, but I'm reading about it with great interest in what the h--- is going on here? (It has also been brought up on the eteamz umpire bulletin board.)

Doesn't the UIC (plate umpire) have an authoritative say here? Doesn't the UIC have to agree with the reversal put forth by U3 over U1, or on the other hand, tell U3 to go back to his position and stop making a mockery of the umpire system? Has anyone got more of the particulars on this incident?
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie
Doesn't the UIC (plate umpire) have an authoritative say here? Doesn't the UIC have to agree with the reversal put forth by U3 over U1, or on the other hand, tell U3 to go back to his position and stop making a mockery of the umpire system? Has anyone got more of the particulars on this incident?
In a word, no. Is the UIC the one who made the call? The umpire whose call would be discussed has to agree to talk it over with his crew, and then must agree that his call should be reversed. If he's unwilling to do that, U3 and UIC have no say.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

There is so much wrong with what they did. Ultimately, because they got the call wrong.

(edited because I got the starting scenario wrong)

R2, 2 outs, sinking liner to F8. Runner was going on the pitch so R2 scored, BR to first.

First problem: I don't believe any umpire called anything. They just let everything run it's course. U1 (crew chief) and PU see the apparent drop and no one is coming out so all is well. It's normally U1's call under the 2008 CCA mechanics. CCA has the infield umpire going back to the "U" for routine fly balls. Problem is on trouble balls the coverage changes. From F8 striaght in or out to the LF DBT, coverage responsibility is transferred to U3. U3 probably had the first part of the recent change in his mind when it appeared he didn't go out.

Second problem: Southern coach came out. Why? Could U3 have nade a call? I didn't think he did but why else would the SU coach come out? Now, U1 makes some hand gestures that didn't seem to go with the play but he had to be telling the coach that it was his call and F8 showed no control. OK, fine, the SU coach goes back to his dugout. Why didn't the crew get together at this time. To me U1 had no doubt there was no catch. Boy is he in for a surprise.

Third problem: The batter digs in and a pitch is thrown. Next thing you know, everyone is running off the field confused. U3 has made a call on the catch! Huh?!?! Without any conference with his partners, U3 takes the call, A PITCH TO THE NEXT BATTER LATER!! I mean think of all the priveledges of appeals teams lose because of one pitch to the next batter. I know, we are umpires and we have an obligation to get things right. That alone should have resulted in a conference. If the other two umpires (including the one who's responsible for the catch/no catch, have no catch, shouldn't he other umpire accept that call until his take can be heard away from the coaches and players. He absolutely can not take that call at that time without a conference.

Fourth problem: Now he's got to explain this to the USC coach. There is no scenario I can imagine that will result in the USC coach remaining in the game at this point. Even if U3 concedes, he is going to get lambasted. Of course, the USC coach must have said one of the magic words because the ejection was abrupt and sudden. The USC coach seemed incredulous that he was thrown out, as well. Not that that necessarily means anything but in this particular context, who knows?

U3 seemed to be the youngest guy on the crew. Maybe he was trying to make a name for himself. He suceeded.

D

Last edited by D-Man; Sun Mar 02, 2008 at 09:18pm.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireBob
Is there some dynamic, rule, mechanic that is utilized at the NCAA level which allows one umpire to hang another out to flap in the breeze???

Just curious.
I saw the play also and there is no NCAA flap in the breeze mechanic. U3 simply STP'd. (Screwed the Pooch)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
NCAA flap in the breeze mechanic.
Hey Michael, you may have just created a name for when this happens. And in youth ball, with inexperienced parents, er, I mean, umpires, this does happen. I had it happen to me once last year. Dad on a power surge, and wouldn't budge. I think some of the skin from my keester is still hanging from that flag pole, flapping in the breeze.