The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard that a player once threw a long high pass from the BC, and the ball bounced from beyond the arc into the passer's basket.

If that actually occurred, would it be a 2 or a 3? Using NF rules, if it matters.

Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Once the ball hit the floor, the try ended. Count two points.

Z
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Any "shot" from beyond the 3-point arc is 3 points (NF). Once the ball drops so that there is no possibility of it passing through the basket (i.e., just before it hits the floor and from then on), the try (shot) has ended. When the ball passes through the basket (in this case on the bounce), then 2 points are awarded (unless it is a 3-point try which I already explained it is not).

If this were an inbound pass and the ball was not touched (as implied) then it is an inbound violation and no points are awarded.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Any "shot" from beyond the 3-point arc is 3 points (NF). Once the ball drops so that there is no possibility of it passing through the basket (i.e., just before it hits the floor and from then on), the try (shot) has ended. When the ball passes through the basket (in this case on the bounce), then 2 points are awarded (unless it is a 3-point try which I already explained it is not).

If this were an inbound pass and the ball was not touched (as implied) then it is an inbound violation and no points are awarded.
The ball was passed from IB according to the story.

Your answers sound reasonable, but may I play Devil's Advocate?

The latest NF rules say that you no longer have to determine whether a ball is a pass or a try from beyond the arc in order for it to count 3 points.

So, what is left to determine? Answer (IMHO): Does a ball that bounces from beyond the arc meet the new three point definition?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Inkwiziter,

True..you no longer have to determine whether a thrown ball behind the arc was try or not. However...you still need to understand the rule of when a shot ends.

Similar to a three-point shot that is tipped by the defense as it's leaving the shooter's hand. If it goes, it's three points because the shot never ended. However, if the shooter launches an awful attempt that bounces off a defender's head and goes in, it's only two points because the shot has ended. Becoming more clear?

Z
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Inkwiziter,
True..you no longer have to determine whether a thrown ball behind the arc was try or not. However...you still need to understand the rule of when a shot ends.

Similar to a three-point shot that is tipped by the defense as it's leaving the shooter's hand. If it goes, it's three points because the shot never ended. However, if the shooter launches an awful attempt that bounces off a defender's head and goes in, it's only two points because the shot has ended. Becoming more clear?

Z
Yes, I think, we don't have to distiguish between a pass or a try, but the "pass" still has to have the attribute of a try. Let me know if I got that wrong.

Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 08:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I know we've been through this many times before, but also remember that you only get horn continuation on a try. In your case, once the ball hit the floor, the try ended, so if the horn went off anytime after the ball hit the floor, it's a dead ball. Similarly, if the horn went off before the ball hit the floor, then the ball becomes dead at that point.

In my explanation, try and tap are the same.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I know we've been through this many times before, but also remember that you only get horn continuation on a try. In your case, once the ball hit the floor, the try ended, so if the horn went off anytime after the ball hit the floor, it's a dead ball.
Even five seconds after the ball hit the floor?!

I think what you meant was "if the horn goes off anytime before the ball goes into the basket..."
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I know we've been through this many times before, but also remember that you only get horn continuation on a try. In your case, once the ball hit the floor, the try ended, so if the horn went off anytime after the ball hit the floor, it's a dead ball. Similarly, if the horn went off before the ball hit the floor, then the ball becomes dead at that point.

In my explanation, try and tap are the same.
That's true and if the bucket goes in it doesnt' count if the horn goes off first. Same applies if A1 passes to A2. A2 doesn't see it and the ball caroms off his head. If the ball goes toward the basket and the horn sounds and the ball subsequently goes in it is no good.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if I understand this right. Even though the ball was thrown from way back and it bounces outside the 3 point line and then goes in, it only counts 2 points. It counts 2 points because everything that goes through the hole except for a free throw counts 2 or 3 and it can't count 3 because the try had ended when the ball hit the floor on the bounce. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, you are correct.