The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
what do you do with it after you put it in your ball bag? ball bags are for balls, an indicator, a plate brush, gum, and root beer barrels. they are not for books.

So that's where I put my clicker!!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
... sunscreen, lip balm, reading glasses, watch, spare magazine for gun. BTW, I wear two ball bags....

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
... sunscreen, lip balm, reading glasses, watch, spare magazine for gun. BTW, I wear two ball bags....
You gotta stop doing games in Richmond.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnVT
Is there a place I can buy the OBR in a book form ? I've printed the PDF's from MLB.com, but I am used to the rule books like the FED puts out. Sporting News used to make a OBR book, but I can't find one nowadays.
There have not been that many changes to the OBR rule-book. You can get an old paper-back version for about $6-$10.00 and simply print out the changes.

Personally I am not going to by another OBR rule-book until MLB re-writes it (by taking out the ambiguities and numerous errors that have been documented on this site) When that will happen is anyone's guess.

Instead I would purchase Papa C's BRD, the PBUC Umpire manual and J/R which are properly indexed and have case plays for analysis.

If you go to PRO School (Jim Evans Academy) then you get get the JEA and the MLBUM

Simply printing and binding the OBR rule-book will not change it's contents.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

If you go to PRO School (Jim Evans Academy) then you get get the JEA and the MLBUM

Simply printing and binding the OBR rule-book will not change it's contents.

Pete Booth
I don't believe Jim has given out the JEA for a few years.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
Wow, that end part is a little low don't you think Tex? Considering I'm 18, paying for college on my own with a full-ride, and still live with my pops, I don't think that it's a big deal that he did that for me. I asked him to do it so he feels good about doing something for me.

PS: It took his secretary 15 minutes, of which she normally spends doing nothing. Plus his company pays for the paper and such. And it's a $600 printer for a reason, it's going to last a while.
A lot of people here have forgotten the stresses of being a College student and trying to balance finances. Speaking of college, did you just have a reading week? This is our first day back, only another 6 weeks and exams till baseball.

If you're 18, you probably don't have a credit card yet. I would recommend getting one, that way you can easily purchase umpiring-related stuff.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, that end part is a little low don't you think Tex? Considering I'm 18, paying for college on my own with a full-ride, and still live with my pops, I don't think that it's a big deal that he did that for me. I asked him to do it so he feels good about doing something for me.

PS: It took his secretary 15 minutes, of which she normally spends doing nothing. Plus his company pays for the paper and such. And it's a $600 printer for a reason, it's going to last a while.
Congrats on supporting yourself. I wish more college students were like you.

My last line was a little in jest, however, your justification further proves my point. Not only was it of no cost to you, but now it was of no cost to your dad. How do you think your dad's company feels using it's assets to support your hobby. This is not a direct shot at you, I commend your resourcefulness, just don't come here and brag about how it was free.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:28am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Congrats on supporting yourself. I wish more college students were like you.

My last line was a little in jest, however, your justification further proves my point. Not only was it of no cost to you, but now it was of no cost to your dad. How do you think your dad's company feels using it's assets to support your hobby. This is not a direct shot at you, I commend your resourcefulness, just don't come here and brag about how it was free.
Aw yes, the perfect case for Old Guard training. "Listen to me while i kick your a$$ and be grateful but here's a crumb congrats on w/e

Old Guard Dawgs don't like newcomers, plain and simple. Youngsters make them look slow and dodgy and, er , OLD. And they threaten to take their jobs away as well they should.

msavakinas, there is a lot o be learned on this site and it looks like you will separate the wheat from the chaff on yor own.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
msavakinas, there is a lot o be learned on this site and it looks like you will separate the wheat from the chaff on yor own.
A truer statement has not been said.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
A truer statement has not been said.
As in a straight line cannot be drawn straighter?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
A lot of people here have forgotten the stresses of being a College student and trying to balance finances. Speaking of college, did you just have a reading week? This is our first day back, only another 6 weeks and exams till baseball.
Went to college twice. Both times paid my way, the second with two kids under 4yo. I understand your pressures like it was yesterday. Back into school again, ground school this time. I think I'm getting worse at this than better.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading week? I don't think college works the same here in The USA as it does up north. I appreciate the advice, but I manage my finances well enough to purchase umpiring stuff. The moral of my story was that as I did save myself a few bucks, I asked my dad to help me with the OBR more to help him than that. Which is why I didn't appreciate the comment by Mr. Tex. I don't live off my old man.
Don't too tough on Tex. I regarde his last line as a throw-away. I believe his point was that nothing is free. Your new rule book had a cost...just not to you. For those of us with kids, sometimes it is difficult to turn the parent switch off and stop trying to turn every day events into learning opportunities.

I am suprised to read that you are but 18. You appear willing to work and learn and you represent yourself and communicate at a higher level than most similar aged posters that stop by here. Also, I have never seen you blame others for any disappointments. You are to be congratulated and encouraged.

What level of NCAA have you reached at such a tender age? (I don't ask this out of sarcasm or disbelief. My younger son worked NCAA baseball when he as your age.)
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I don't believe Jim has given out the JEA for a few years.
Certainly not this year, I can confirm. I read the reference to that, and thought "what the h311? I didn't miss but a few hours the whole time!"

Speaking of missing, and the Evans academy... sort of:

The most significant time I missed was on the first day, when someone robbed a whole bunch of JEAPU-related rooms. (And make no mistake, it was a very targeted hit. The Osecola Co. Sheriff Dept detective - who is a professional in that field - had no doubts of that.)

Anyway, I bring this up for those planning to attend in the future: you'll get an email, telling you not to bring much in the way of valuables during the course. It's not bad advice. I lost a decent amount of stuff, because I made the mistake of locking my laptop in my suitcase. Which the bad guy then took, to loot later.

The only thing valuable to said lowlife was my laptop, since clothes, glasses, phone charger, ump books, etc, were only important to me. On the other hand, I feel like I saved my fellow students: as one of those hit, I helped load the criminal(s) down with so much stuff, they had to quit hitting rooms. And some people had so much $%^&# with them - game consoles, games, movies, etc, etc - they would have lost even more than me. Just doin' my part.

Just be careful if you attend next year, and if they haven't changed hotels.

Of course, anyone else out there that attended might now know my 'secret' identity, thanks to this post, but it's not like I'm in Delta Force or the Witness Protection Program.

Again, apropos of nothing in this thread, but the posting referring to the school made me think of it.