The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   OBR in book form? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/42197-obr-book-form.html)

QuinnVT Sun Feb 24, 2008 04:25pm

OBR in book form?

Is there a place I can buy the OBR in a book form ? I've printed the PDF's from MLB.com, but I am used to the rule books like the FED puts out. Sporting News used to make a OBR book, but I can't find one nowadays.

briancurtin Sun Feb 24, 2008 04:43pm

ive never seen a Borders or Barnes and Noble book store without the OBR books. i dont know when they get the newest ones in stock, but ill look in the baseball area on occasion and they've had the current year's book

GarthB Sun Feb 24, 2008 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuinnVT
Is there a place I can buy the OBR in a book form ? I've printed the PDF's from MLB.com, but I am used to the rule books like the FED puts out. Sporting News used to make a OBR book, but I can't find one nowadays.

MLB is the copyrignt holder of the Official Rules of Baseball. Last year they and Triumph Publishing both published the rule book. Reportedly, MLB has signed an exclusive agreement with Triumph Publishing to distribute the rule book this year.

The last I heard, Triumph was projecting some time in March as an availability date for the 2008 edition.

canadaump6 Sun Feb 24, 2008 04:47pm

Go to the Jim Evans Academy site and order a rule book and rules index. There are also a lot of other cool manuals there, balk video and MLB style undershirts.

ozzy6900 Sun Feb 24, 2008 06:44pm

Try this

Gerry Davis Sports (an umpire supplier) MLB Rules

He's sold the OBR in book form since he started his business!

canadaump6 Sun Feb 24, 2008 06:47pm

How much is shipping and handling for Jerry Davis Sports?

bob jenkins Sun Feb 24, 2008 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6

I didn't even know there was a Jerry Davis Sports.

bossman72 Sun Feb 24, 2008 08:05pm

Just get a 2007 now. I dont think they made any changes except the cover picture.

BigTex Sun Feb 24, 2008 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by msavakinas
My dad has a $600 laser printer, which came in handy last week or so. He used it to print the pages out on regular paper double sided but printed like four per page, then his secretary did all the binding for me lol. It's pretty sweet looking now as it's just like a rulebook but with better binding and it didn't cost as much and i don't have to wait until March 15th for it.

Do the math and I think you may find that it was not cheaper. It may have been cheaper to YOU, but not to your dad who spent money on the paper, toner and wear and tear on the printer. Then add the cost from your dad's secretary's time, to include taking time away from her paid duties, the cost of the binding, etc. Just because you did not slap down some money, doesn't make it cheaper.

Spend the $10 at Amazon and quit living off of your old man.

Gramps Sun Feb 24, 2008 09:44pm

I picked up a pocket-size 2007 one at Borders for 10 bucks. Fits in a ball bag real nice.

bobbybanaduck Mon Feb 25, 2008 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
I picked up a pocket-size 2007 one at Borders for 10 bucks. Fits in a ball bag real nice.

what do you do with it after you put it in your ball bag? ball bags are for balls, an indicator, a plate brush, gum, and root beer barrels. they are not for books.

fitump56 Mon Feb 25, 2008 03:23am

Originally Posted by canadaump6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I didn't even know there was a Jerry Davis Sports.

This post will be deleted foir sure.;)

fitump56 Mon Feb 25, 2008 03:30am

The MLB PDF's can be noted just like writing in the margins but better with

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_...ls/pdfx_viewer

mbyron Mon Feb 25, 2008 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
what do you do with it after you put it in your ball bag? ball bags are for balls, an indicator, a plate brush, gum, and root beer barrels. they are not for books.

Ah, sounds like pro school. Now, somebody say "dead ball," I wanna see what happens! :D

Emperor Ump Mon Feb 25, 2008 09:04am

Also, If you are a registered PONY umpire they send you a new book every year.