The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:07pm
In Time Out

Catch/No Catch

FED RULES

2.9.1 SITUATION C: B1 hits a fly to F8. F8 gets the ball in his hands but it is dropped (a) when he falls to the ground and rolls over; or (b) when he collides with a fielder or a wall; or (c) when he starts to throw to the infield. RULING: In (a) and (b), it is not a catch. In (c), it is a legal catch if an umpire rules the that the ball was dropped as the fielder voluntarily removed the ball from the glove.

I had a situation today where F8 slid and made a great catch. As he was rolling over and coming to his feet in one motion, he went to reach for the ball in his glove. Before his hand got there, the ball fell to the ground. This happened with two outs and no one on. I called no catch. My question did I make the right call or should I have let it go let?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

I had one where the batter hit a screaming line drive right back at the pitcher's head - 2 outs & runners on 1st & 3rd. In self-defense, the pitcher managed to get his glove up and glove the ball cleanly. He held it for a fraction of a second and then opened his glove and let the ball fall to the mound and started walking towards his dugout. I ruled it a catch. Should I have, or should I have ruled it no catch?

JM
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
I had one where the batter hit a screaming line drive right back at the pitcher's head - 2 outs & runners on 1st & 3rd. In self-defense, the pitcher managed to get his glove up and glove the ball cleanly. He held it for a fraction of a second and then opened his glove and let the ball fall to the mound and started walking towards his dugout. I ruled it a catch. Should I have, or should I have ruled it no catch?

JM
Sounds like fielder demonstrated control and intentional release. Third out - switch sides.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

umpire judgment
Iam behind you 100%, good call partner
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like both players showed control of the ball. HTBT on either one.

The way Coach describes his, I can't argue it - Sounds like control, I don't need the ball, DAMN that was close, I need to sit down.

Steven, I can't answer your question with confidence. Truly HTBT. I think you would have been justified calling it either way.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
FED RULES

2.9.1 SITUATION C: B1 hits a fly to F8. F8 gets the ball in his hands but it is dropped (a) when he falls to the ground and rolls over; or (b) when he collides with a fielder or a wall; or (c) when he starts to throw to the infield. RULING: In (a) and (b), it is not a catch. In (c), it is a legal catch if an umpire rules the that the ball was dropped as the fielder voluntarily removed the ball from the glove.

I had a situation today where F8 slid and made a great catch. As he was rolling over and coming to his feet in one motion, he went to reach for the ball in his glove. Before his hand got there, the ball fell to the ground. This happened with two outs and no one on. I called no catch. My question did I make the right call or should I have let it go let?
You were correct as F8 did not demonstrate control because the ball fell out of the glove.

Quote:

JM
By opening his glove, dropping the ball and walking away, F1 was showing control and an unmistakable voluntary release. You were correct in your ruling.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

1. Safe.
2. Out.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
No doubt with JM's call and I wouldn't question Steven's call. Sell it, baby.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
You were correct as F8 did not demonstrate control because the ball fell out of the glove.

By opening his glove, dropping the ball and walking away, F1 was showing control and an unmistakable voluntary release. You were correct in your ruling.
I agree with this completely

Thanks
David
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Your answer is in your own description. Saying "the ball fell to the ground," describes an unintentional accidental release. It sounds like the fielder was not in complete control of his body, and thus the ball. No catch.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JM
Your answer is in your own description. You wrote, "He held it . . . then opened his glove and let the ball fall to the mound." That sounds like the pitcher was in complete control of his actions and "let the ball fall," sounds like intentional release. That's a catch!

I has seen pitchers do this several times. It looks very cool!