The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:02am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs down All Outs Are Not In The Rules

WoodyUmp posted that all outs can be defined, justified and referenced byt the rules.

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...7&postcount=21

Don't know which rules he means but this statement is false by all rules I know (OBR, NCAA, FeD, Pony, Dixie, LL, AABC blah) including local rules.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
fitump56,

To me, an interesting question.

After reflection, I found Forest's assertion to be true.

Perhaps you could provide an example which supports your point...

JM
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 03:10am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
fitump56,

To me, an interesting question.

After reflection, I found Forest's assertion to be true.

Perhaps you could provide an example which supports your point...

JM
Fair enough. An extreme one, I have others.

Billy Martin is coaching the Yanks, it's 1977. Reggie "Steroids Not Me " jackson is in RF and suddenly dies of a massive heart attack. Before anyone can see Reggie flop to the ground, B hits a screamer to RF and Jackson's rigor mortis glove hand has the ball stick in it.

According to OBR, a player must "assume and field his position" calling to question how a dead man can do either.

Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

And now, back to our ballgame

Situation 1: Pitch is delivered right down the middle of the strike zone for the perfect strike. The ball is less than ten feet from the plate when the sprinkler system in the infield is activated. The batter couldn't resist the temptation to offer at the perfect pitch and hits a sharp grounder to the shortstop. The batter doesn't hesitiate and starts running for first base. The shortstop gloves a "wet" grounder and makes the throw in time to get the out at first base. You make the call!

Last edited by SAump; Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 01:01pm.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Fair enough. An extreme one, I have others.

Billy Martin is coaching the Yanks, it's 1977. Reggie "Steroids Not Me " jackson is in RF and suddenly dies of a massive heart attack. Before anyone can see Reggie flop to the ground, B hits a screamer to RF and Jackson's rigor mortis glove hand has the ball stick in it.

According to OBR, a player must "assume and field his position" calling to question how a dead man can do either.

Who says it's an out? The player doesn't have control. OTOH, it is still in flight so if another player takes it out of the glove it is then an out.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Bring on the others.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

No such rule exists..................

All defensive players with the exception of the catcher shall be on fair territory when the ball is put into play. Dead or alive he would have met that requirement.

Tim.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Besides, the language "quoted" does not exist within the text of the OBR rules, so it's kind of a "moot" point.

JM
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Out?

Situation 2: No outs, 3-2 count, R1 stealing on the pitch, F1 delivers curveball. RH batter recognizes curve will pass over the plate for a strike and he swings at the last moment. Too late, the ball contacts the batter's hand. As the ball deflects to the ground, the batter continues his follow through with the barrel of the bat passing through the strike zone and over his left shoulder. You make the call.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Situation 2: No outs, 3-2 count, R1 stealing on the pitch, F1 delivers curveball. RH batter recognizes curve will pass over the plate for a strike and he swings at the last moment. Too late, the ball contacts the batter's hand. As the ball deflects to the ground, the batter continues his follow through with the barrel of the bat passing through the strike zone and over his left shoulder. You make the call.
Dead ball strike............

Batter out; R1 returned

Tim.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

In that fascinating play where Reggie Jackson dies but the ball goes into his glove anyway, I'd call it an out and claim that I saw Jackson take his last breath after the ball went into his glove and the required 3 seconds had passed.

But this brings up the question of, What if Jackson was clearly dead when the ball went into his glove—no breathing, no pulse—but he was revived later at a hospital?

I'm searching PBUC, J/R, Evans, etc., for guidance on this possibility.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

This thread belongs in the WOBW Hall of Fame. It just might provide the definitive insight to the nagging question: "Is Fitump fit to ump?"
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Is there any doubt after this thread about the value of the 'ignore' list?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump

Why do you think this is a difficult call?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have eliminated all the extraneous information from this sitch, what remains is "the ball contacts the batter's hand" .

This makes the call quite simple, does it not?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Closed Thread