The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

2 Questions for FED umpires

I've seen a lot of talk on here about FED umpiring qualification tests and am guessing this is the time of year when you have to write qualification exams. I am curious to know if your association pays the cost of your examination/clinic. Around here, it costs $45 to write our level 3 qualification exam, and that money comes out of our own pockets. I have talked to my umpire in chief about asking the league to pay our fees. He says that every year he asks them about reimbursing us, but they never email him back. What do you think should be the next step? How do they handle the costs for FED qualifications?

My other question is how much money FED pays per game. Around here for doing 16-18 year old All Star, we make $38 for doing plate and $30 for doing bases (either 7 or 9 inning games depending on if it's AA or AAA). I would guess it is about the same level of ball as high school varsity. How do we compare to high school umpiring associations in terms of salaries and exam fees?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

FED (properly known as NFHS - National Federation of State High School Associations) makes up the rules for 95% of our state high schools. The individual states choose to adopt FED rules or not.

In regards to FED tests, FED issues the tests nationwide, but each state administers the test the way they want to. There is no cost for the exam specifically (although we have to pay dues to our state annually for each sport we work - $30 per sport).

In regards to FED paying per game - the FED does not pay anybody. Usually (at least in my state), umpires are considered independent contractors and are not employees of the state, or FED for that matter. You are paid by the schools you do games for (or the schools pay your local association, and the association then pays you).

It depends on the area how much you make per game. In my area, we get $60 for V, $50 for JV, and $45 for sub-JV. My state only requires you to pass one umpiring exam at the beginning of your career and you do not have to re-test at all, assuming you are active every year after.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Around here, it costs $45 to write our level 3 qualification exam, and that money comes out of our own pockets.

I am confused. Please explain more about your process.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Around here, it costs $45 to write our level 3 qualification exam, and that money comes out of our own pockets.

I am confused. Please explain more about your process.
Baseball Ontario requires $45 to write an exam to either become or remain a level 3 umpire. If you don't write the exam or fail it, you drop down to level 2. In our association, the umpires themselves have to pay the $45, rather than the association reimbursing us.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I think he means to "take" the exam. "Writing" the exam must be a Canadian term.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I think he means to "take" the exam. "Writing" the exam must be a Canadian term.
No actually that is a term I have heard many officials in the States use. I am not sure why, it does not make a lot of sense.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

$45 is outrageous whether taking or writing it.
(I thought the umps paid someone to write a fresh exam each year. Where can I get that job?)

Has your association told Baseball Ontario that this is a burdensome expense? And if so, what was the response?

The association could meet with the schools to explain how the cost hurts your numbers. I'd be discouraged starting out and having to fork over that amount of cash just to take a test.

And your association could be strong to suggest to the schools that your group will not take the test (probably in 09, but 08 is better), and as part of the protest, you refuse to work their games until the situation is resolved.
The schools want the games to be played with good umpires. Put the onus on B.O.

Here the state associations work for the school members; what they want, they get. And sadly, officiating is not their priority.

I'd get info from state and provincial governing bodies to present to B.O. Show them they are out of step.

Besides the exam, what else do you get for your money?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he's asking a question and leaving it at that. "They haven't emailed him back." What's wrong with a little follow through? If he hasn't heard in a week, ask again. Still nothing, ask again (or start calling rather than emailing). If he truly wants this resolved, he should be more proactive in getting an answer. Call, email, etc until you reach the person that can help you - and get an answer, set a meeting, something.

He's not completing the task. He's just doing enough to say "I asked" He needs to keep the ball rolling, not just throw it out there.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Huh,

Umpires in our association pay $85 for fees.

$35 of that goes to the OSAA and is for a Rules Book a Case Book and the right to take a test.

Regards,
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 06:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
$45 is outrageous whether taking or writing it.
(I thought the umps paid someone to write a fresh exam each year. Where can I get that job?)

Has your association told Baseball Ontario that this is a burdensome expense? And if so, what was the response?

The association could meet with the schools to explain how the cost hurts your numbers. I'd be discouraged starting out and having to fork over that amount of cash just to take a test.

And your association could be strong to suggest to the schools that your group will not take the test (probably in 09, but 08 is better), and as part of the protest, you refuse to work their games until the situation is resolved.
The schools want the games to be played with good umpires. Put the onus on B.O.

Here the state associations work for the school members; what they want, they get. And sadly, officiating is not their priority.

I'd get info from state and provincial governing bodies to present to B.O. Show them they are out of step.

Besides the exam, what else do you get for your money?
What do you think the WIAA gets for a one-sport official as a registration fee?

They get good umpires when the group I hang with is working. Good umpires figure out ways to get to that point without people holding their hands throughout the process.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see the big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Umpires in our association pay $85 for fees.

$35 of that goes to the OSAA and is for a Rules Book a Case Book and the right to take a test.

Regards,
Associations cost varies around here. Depending on the sport you can pay as little as $25 and as high as $60 to be a member in an association for one particular sport (price varies if you belong to multiple divisions in that association).

And I believe the renewal fee for the IHSA is $35 every year (I believe $15 for each additional sport). That just means you maintain your license if you pass the NF test every year and attend camps within a certain time frame to keep your license.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fees

In NC it is $51 to the NCHSAA. For that you get insurance (liabilty and accident), rule book, case book, and every couple years an umpire manual (which I toss). Sitting for an exam annually is expected by all. To be a playoff umpire you must reach a high score. If you don't take it, technically you are not qualified to umpire.

I expect the insurance covers you for all sports so the fee for multiple sports would be less, but I don't know for sure since I only work baseball.

It does not cost anything to belong to the association, but there is a booking fee to the booking agent.

Last edited by DG; Sun Feb 17, 2008 at 06:42pm.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Tennessee is very similar. We pay $55.00 to the TSSAA and $45.00 for our local association dues. Liability, accident and loss of game fee insurance is included in this State fee. We also get the same things DG mentioned from Fed.

Game fees here are $65.00 for Varsity and $55.00 for JV and Middle School.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

DG,

I only work baseball also but the the insurance fee ($21) is only paid once during a registration year. The insurance only covers you for NCHSAA games (any sport). We also pay $50 to our booking agent. I know another association who get paid by their assignor (assignor gets the check from the school then pays umpires). That assignor takes 1 game check per sport as a booking fee. That equals $60 for a varsity baseball umpire.

Lawrence
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Long Island, NY: $80 dues, no assigning fee, insurance is included in the $80.
Game fees: V - $106, JV - $87, JH - $69.50 Work alone (rare) fee X 1.5