The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

FED test questions

I obtained a FED test from someone and did it on my own for the heck of it (my state is 'one and done' when it comes to testing in your umpiring career). I would like to review / complain about 2 questions and get feedback from you guys:

#3) "Lineups become official when they are presented to the umpire-in-chief"

Answer: False

-This was puzzling why I missed this until I read 1-2-2 where they are official after they are "exchanged, verified, and accepted by the UIC." Poorly worded question IMO.

#65) "It is a balk when: The pitcher, while legally on the pitcher's plate, brings his pitching hand to his mouth and wipes it off."

-I thought this would be a balk since, according to FED rules, adjusting your cap while in this position would be a balk as well. I guess I'm assuming now trough this question that ANY time a pitcher goes to the mouth before he brings his hands together is a ball? I'm confused. Please set me straight on this one.

But overall, I got a 95. I missed:

#32 - Brain fart. Knew it was no pitch in OBR, but couldn't remember if it was an "illegal pitch" in FED.
#57 - An entire thread is dedicated to this so I won't get into it.
#91 - Simply didn't know that one.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think they just want to remind us that we can give the lineup card back to them if we see something wrong with it. After we look it over and we put in in our pocket or wherever you put it, its official.

Second one, I believe is with no runners on base. With runners on base going to the mouth would be a balk. With no one on its a ball.....
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bossman,

The correct answer to #65 IS True (i.e., it IS a balk). It's pretty much verbatim with case play 6.2.1B(b).

Also, from the POE section of the rulebook (top of p.69 for those following along at home):

(If there are runners on base,) "Going to the mouth while in contact with the pitcher's plate is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because the action simulates the start of the pitching motion."

So your reasoning seems sound to me.

Now I haven't yet seen an "official" answer key, but the correct answer to the question is True, regardless of what the answer key says. Did FED screw the pooch on this one too?

JM
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I#3) "Lineups become official when they are presented to the umpire-in-chief"

-This was puzzling why I missed this until I read 1-2-2 where they are official after they are "exchanged, verified, and accepted by the UIC." Poorly worded question IMO.
So the both the question and the rulebook say "Lineups become official when they are __________ the UIC".

On the test the blank is filled in with "presented to" and in the rule book it is "exchanged, verified, and accepted by", and you call that a poorly worded question? Seems to me that question could not have been worded any better.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
let me get this straight...the picher is standing on the rubber taking his sign with runners on, his throwing hand hangs at his side. before doing anything else he brings his throwing hand up and licks it, then wipes it off. FED considers that the start of the motion to pitch??? if that's true my lack of respect for their rules just dropped even lower, if that's at all possible.

what if it's fricken freezin out and instead of licking he blows on his hand to warm it up...is that allowed?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
So the both the question and the rulebook say "Lineups become official when they are __________ the UIC".

On the test the blank is filled in with "presented to" and in the rule book it is "exchanged, verified, and accepted by", and you call that a poorly worded question? Seems to me that question could not have been worded any better.

Would "tricky" question be a better adjective phrase?

I took 'presented' to be a generic term that means the same thing as "exchanged, verified, and accepted by"... IMO, it's a picky difference. I assumed that the 'exchanged, verified, and accepted' part was encompassed by the word 'presented.' Eh..
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
let me get this straight...the picher is standing on the rubber taking his sign with runners on, his throwing hand hangs at his side. before doing anything else he brings his throwing hand up and licks it, then wipes it off. FED considers that the start of the motion to pitch??? if that's true my lack of respect for their rules just dropped even lower, if that's at all possible.

what if it's fricken freezin out and instead of licking he blows on his hand to warm it up...is that allowed?
bobby,

Then I take it you haven't seen...

Quote:
6.1.2 Situation D: F1, while on the pitcher's plate in either the windup or set position, ... (b) shakes off the signal with his glove,...

Ruling: In ... (b), this is an illegal pitch or a balk if there are runners on base. ...
All kinds of interesting stuff in the FED rules.

JM
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Jm

"Did FED screw the pooch on this one too?"

No, you just read too much into the question.

This is, with out question, the most poorly written NFHS Baseball Umpire test that I can remember.

Regards,
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
#65) "It is a balk when: The pitcher, while legally on the pitcher's plate, brings his pitching hand to his mouth and wipes it off."

Correct answer. It is a balk only when runners are on base, otherwise an illegal pitch.

Remember: if it's not completely true, it's false.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Correct answer. It is a balk only when runners are on base, otherwise an illegal pitch.

Remember: if it's not completely true, it's false.
Bossman72 didn't quote the entire question. All the questions 65 - 68 begin with "With runners on base, it is a balk when ..."

And, while I agree that some of the questions / answers could have been better, no one (that I know) requires a 100% to pass.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 09:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"Did FED screw the pooch on this one too?"

No, you just read too much into the question.

This is, with out question, the most poorly written NFHS Baseball Umpire test that I can remember.

Regards,
Agreed. There are quite a few questions that would be laughed at by English teachers everywhere.

This is the one part of officiating I truly despise. I have to take seven of these exams a year (2 football, 2 baseball, and 3 basketball). It seems like every time I turn around I have another one that needs to be done and sent to the state.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: question #65- Sounds like more editorial hijinks from the NFHS.

LAST YEAR, when the whole "hand to mouth" rule changes first hit the fan, it was interpreted that this was NOT a balk. Clarifying interpretations were issued to reinforce this. It was a ball to the batter, regardless of runners being on base or not.

THIS YEAR, they have "re-interpreted" the rule and their preseason materials clearly state, beyond doubt, that this IS a balk.

Another disconnect betwen the rulesmakers and the testmakers. "False" would have been a correct answer last year. This year, the answer is absolutely "true".
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bossman72]I obtained a FED test from someone and did it on my own for the heck of it (my state is 'one and done' when it comes to testing in your umpiring career).

Which state stuck in the 19th century is that?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 02:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I love how just because somebody reads the test wrong that they automatically blame the test as to why they missed a question. While I agree that not every question on every test is going to be perfect...who cares if you miss one or two...do you know the rules or not?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Which state stuck in the 19th century is that?

Good ol' PA. If you pass one test in the beginning of your umpire career, you can umpire as long as you want without a re-test as long as you pay your dues and are active each year.
Closed Thread