The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hardly, Garth. The NYT is one of the most liberal publications around. Sure, there are others even more extreme, but the Times is so far to the Left that Ted Kennedy has to turn left just to see them.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Hardly, Garth. The NYT is one of the most liberal publications around. Sure, there are others even more extreme, but the Times is so far to the Left that Ted Kennedy has to turn left just to see them.
Ump, are you a regular reader of the New York Times?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

It's rather difficult to read the thing when it lines my cat's litter box.

But to answer your question, one does not need to read that thing regularly to know it's a left-wing publication.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:21pm
Is this a legal title?

Talking

Quote:
But to answer your question, one does not need to read that thing regularly to know it's a left-wing publication.
Whaddaya mean? I find it "fair and balanced"--just like Fox News, only from a different perspective.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
I personally would prefer that such individuals not enter the locker room every Sunday. If I choose to go to church, I'd prefer to do so on my own. Having said that, one must also remember that the New York Times is a very anti-religious, ultraleft-wing publication, so such articles will always carry a biased point of view.

Who cares whether the NYT is a "liberal" or "conservative" or "middle of the road" newspaper? The article stands on its own merits.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Mark, of course, is correct. Instead of attacking the messenger why not read the article and judge it on its content. I'm just amazed that people who don't regularly read a publication are willing to label it as one thing or another. This is part of a larger problem in our society - people are intellectually lazy, do no critical thinking. They're completely happy to let someone else define the debate and place labels on things. You're either a conservative or a liberal. Once that's decided you don't have to think about the issues - just look for the label and you'll know if you can agree of disagree with the subject.

It's a shame but a good majority of the country is content to only hear half the story.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
Whaddaya mean? I find it "fair and balanced"--just like Fox News, only from a different perspective.
I don't watch FOX News much mainly because I find annoying its flashy "alerts" every time someone in Paducah passes gas, but they're a lot more balanced than the NYT is. The former has several left-wing hosts and commentators and will permit both sides to discuss things. The NYT squelches anyone to their right, which is probably why they have not even endorsed a Republican president in something like 60 years.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Who cares whether the NYT is a "liberal" or "conservative" or "middle of the road" newspaper? The article stands on its own merits.

MTD, Sr.
The stance or ideological bent of a publication is quite important and relevant because it affects the way they report or write their articles and stories. The Times has a history of being virulently anti-religious (again, I'm not that religious myself, unfortunately), so anything they can get their hands on that would disparage religion in any manner, especially Fundamentalist Christians like Baseball Chapel, is fine with them. (FWIW, I am someone who isn't particularly fond of such Fundamentalist Christians, so it's not like I'm trying to be a pro-Bible thumping evangelist here.)
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
At the MiLB level, BC represents the majority of community members.
Hogwash.

The evangelical demographic of which they are part may be a majority in South Carolina and few other areas, but it is not a majority nationwide or in a majority of states.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump

I have no problem with BC not respecting his "right" or TC's opinion to turn a cold shoulder to BC. From what I read, Josh feels he has some right not to be bothered at work. Yet I don't believe that right exists. I am always being bothered at work, usually by people who want my money or blood {United Way, etc.} or want me to hear their speal {travel package, universal insurance, etc.}. How do you tell someone to go away politely and to stop holding all these manadatory meetings that have nothing to do with the job at hand? I still haven't found a voice.
Traditionally, most Americans have found a vast difference between being solicted by United Way and being proselytized by representatives of a religion they do not share. It is not the same thing at all.

I have never been approached by a religious sect at work. If I were, I would inform them politely that I was content with my faith and not interested. If my employer required me to attend a religious gathering, I'd find my voice very quickly, and another job.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Feb 09, 2008 at 02:34am.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He has complete credibility. I've worked with him; I know him. He's regarded as one of the best umpires in the Midwest. If I had even a scintilla of doubt about his honesty or credibility, I would never have even mentioned it in the first place. My sharing it here is good enough.

BTW, I wouldn't call his comments about Josh disparaging unless you're willing to call Josh's comments about the Baseball Chapel equally disparaging.
What would you think if they added this at the end of the article; "An unknown source was quoted as saying" I know Josh and he is no good. The guy was always complaining about this and that...yada, yada, yada."

That's where credibility comes into play. If you want to print that a man is no good, then back it up with a name source. The fact that you know this person who wrote this may have credibility in a small circle of people, but it does not lend credibility over the world wide web. Myself, I would not write that someone said that a man is no good. That's slander.

Also, I would never use the NYT to line my bird cage. That's what the LA Times is for.

On a side note: I umpired my first game of the season today. It was a 10 inning scrimmage so some of the real game attitude was missing. It was still great to get back out there.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Having said that, one must also remember that the New York Times is a very anti-religious, ultraleft-wing publication, so such articles will always carry a biased point of view.
hmmm... anti-religious?

What does that mean? They are against all religions? Or just some of them? Maybe against just yours?

And why would an anti-religious paper go to the trouble of having a religion editor?

Now.... if they had an an ANTI-religion editor, I could see your point...
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

The Rule on the Locker Room Door says one thing: No one admitted. My partner(s) and I broke this only once (on seperate occasions) to let our fathers in to our locker room (after a game). There were no other exceptions. If you weren't an umpire or working for the umpire (re: ball boy) you weren't coming in. (PBUC supervisors are umpires).

The suggestion that an umpire should have to be preached to (by a leader of a religion he doesn't believe in) or leave the lockerroom (his office) for even 5 minutes before a game is repulsive.

I admit that I have what I call "umpire OCD". On days when I worked the plate I had to do the same exact thing in the lockerroom during the hour before the game. I was a creature of habit. Too suggest I should have to leave my workspace, and stop my mental preparation for 3 hours of grueling work, so someone can come in and preach something that, frankly, I don't agree with or believe in is ridiculous.

I wonder how many umpires would be defending this if it were Muslim "preachers" seeking "just 5 minutes"? Instead of "baseball chapel" it was "baseball mosque"?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Watch it! Any offensive comments directed toward Allah or his religion can result in serious consequences!
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Watch it! Any offensive comments directed toward Allah or his religion can result in serious consequences!
Whatever do you mean??