View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
He has complete credibility. I've worked with him; I know him. He's regarded as one of the best umpires in the Midwest. If I had even a scintilla of doubt about his honesty or credibility, I would never have even mentioned it in the first place. My sharing it here is good enough.

BTW, I wouldn't call his comments about Josh disparaging unless you're willing to call Josh's comments about the Baseball Chapel equally disparaging.
What would you think if they added this at the end of the article; "An unknown source was quoted as saying" I know Josh and he is no good. The guy was always complaining about this and that...yada, yada, yada."

That's where credibility comes into play. If you want to print that a man is no good, then back it up with a name source. The fact that you know this person who wrote this may have credibility in a small circle of people, but it does not lend credibility over the world wide web. Myself, I would not write that someone said that a man is no good. That's slander.

Also, I would never use the NYT to line my bird cage. That's what the LA Times is for.

On a side note: I umpired my first game of the season today. It was a 10 inning scrimmage so some of the real game attitude was missing. It was still great to get back out there.