The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Watch it! Any offensive comments directed toward Allah or his religion can result in serious consequences!
Humor aside (I get it) While there was no slight toward Muslims intended, a slight was intended solely towards those who would fight hard to allow Baseball Chapel to come into umpire's locker rooms...but would likely throw out a "preacher" from a non-Christian religion. (You can substitute "Muslim" in my previous rhetorical question with "Wiccah", "Shinto", "Buddhist"...)

Based solely on my own PERSONAL experiences...I believe there are more than a few who fit that description among the pro ranks.

I'm an equal opportunity type of person: I'd throw them all out (of the lockerroom, that is).
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:33am
In Time Out

HARI KRISHNA
HARI HARI
HARI KRISHNA
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 02:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
HARI KRISHNA
HARI HARI
HARI KRISHNA
It's "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare."

Just for your edification.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It's "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare."

Sounds like you've been to one to many airports
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Mark, of course, is correct. Instead of attacking the messenger why not read the article and judge it on its content. I'm just amazed that people who don't regularly read a publication are willing to label it as one thing or another. This is part of a larger problem in our society - people are intellectually lazy, do no critical thinking. They're completely happy to let someone else define the debate and place labels on things. You're either a conservative or a liberal. Once that's decided you don't have to think about the issues - just look for the label and you'll know if you can agree of disagree with the subject.

It's a shame but a good majority of the country is content to only hear half the story.
Down the heart of the dish with that coment, walt. Let's follow with another.

People who claim they don't like religions or religious viewpoints "forced" on them, when various viewpoints are crammed down their eyes every day by TV, radio and all forms of media, curious? Why so sensitive about religion?

Because religious discussions hit people right in their hearts, it talks to the reality of our mortality, it gut checks the most important of concerns.

Are we here, ultimately, for nothing and are nothing?

Imagine living a life with an assured dead end and the clock ticking down with equal assuredness, to your demise with nothing to hope for except..

Nothing.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 09:59pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
... Why so sensitive about religion?

...Are we here, ultimately, for nothing and are nothing?

Imagine living a life with an assured dead end and the clock ticking down with equal assuredness, to your demise with nothing to hope for except..

Nothing.
The religious proselytizers (not invariably, but nearly so, and not uniquely, but nearly so) couch their positions in a false "either/or" dichotomy. I have no faith in the existence of any supreme being, but I don't believe "we're here, ultimately, for nothing and are nothing" either. I don't have any inclination, and see no compelling reason, to justify or explain what I DO believe to a bunch of strangers.

When I tell sellers of cookies, or magazines, or home improvements, or politics, or kitchenware my loyalties lie elsewhere, they NEVER ask for justification. Purveyors of religion ALWAYS do. That's why so sensitive about religion.

If the umpires in MiLB aren't relieved of this burden, however slight it may be seen by others, I feel bad for them.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 12:22am
In Time Out

So many people claim to be Christians. Being a Christian is more, and I mean much more, than saying it. It is living it. It doesn't matter what faith you care to worship or if you choose not to worship at all. That's the bottom line.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 12:37am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Sorry Steve, I messed up the words Hare Krishna from the rock musical "Hair" for you.

Way to Google though. I have about 1,000 songs of sheet music with lyrics I've acquired over the years. This isn't one from my memory.........

Would you prefer the lyrics from George Harrison's, "My Sweet Lord"? I probably have that one somewhere.

__________________________________________________ ____

Hare Krishna from the rock musical, Hair

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rame
Rama Rama Hare Hare

Love love
Love love
Drop out
Drop out
Be in
Be in

Take trips get high
Laugh joke and good bye
Beat drum and old tin pot
I'm high on you know what
Marijuana marijuana
Juana juana mari mari
High high high high
Way way up here
Ionosphere

Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness
Beads, flowers, freedom, happiness
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
People who claim they don't like religions or religious viewpoints "forced" on them, when various viewpoints are crammed down their eyes every day by TV, radio and all forms of media, curious? Why so sensitive about religion?
You can turn off a TV or a radio, or stop reading a newspaper column. That's a personal choice. You don't have someone in your living room reading that material to you.

Apples and oranges. It's completely different than someone coming into your work environment.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You can turn off a TV or a radio, or stop reading a newspaper column. That's a personal choice. You don't have someone in your living room reading that material to you.

Apples and oranges. It's completely different than someone coming into your work environment.
There are a lot of people at work I wish could be switched off or at least "muted". One day...