The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42
But it might get addressed someday when religion doesnt have so much clout both politically and psycologically
We've been waiting for this day for thousands of years. What makes you think that day is EVER coming?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:52pm
Is this a legal title?

Rudeness...

"Sure, speak away. Hope you don't mind if I listen to some Ludacris at 120db while you do."

In the minor league park near where I live, there's a reminder that only umpires and club officials are permitted in the umpire's locker room.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
when religion doesnt have so much clout both politically and psyc[h]ologically
There is nothing in the entirety of human experience to suggest there will ever be a "when."

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue
There is nothing in the entirety of human experience to suggest there will ever be a "when."
Thank God and amen to that!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Pedro Cerrano: Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.
Eddie Harris: You know you might think about taking Jesus Christ as your savior instead of fooling around with all this stuff.
Roger Dorn: ****, Harris.
Pedro Cerrano: Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball.
Eddie Harris: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
JR:

And, of course, I would have been released by the PBUA as a "trouble maker."

Regards,
You? A trouble maker???

Never!
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I wonder why the AMLU hasn't represented its membership in this issue.
Hi Garth:

Just wondering since your son is attending school if he mentioned anything about the OP to you

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

One of our umpires spent time in the minors and just left the game. Here's his account of the Baseball Chapel:

Quote:
I read the article and it wasn't as bad as he biitched and moaned about. I know Josh and he is no good. The guy was always complaining about this and that, and it wasn't for the benefit of all umpires, but just for himself. I would guess at most half of the cities over my 7years had baseball chapel come to the umpires' room. They always visited the players, but not consistently with the umpires. Just like everything else, baseball forgets about the umpires, baseball chapel forgot about the umpires a majority of the time. In 2003, there was a Jewish guy on my crew, and we would tell the rep. from Baseball Chapel that he was Jewish. The guy then would talk about God in genera land not about Christianity vs. Judaism. Also, I know a lot of umpires who didn't want to meet with B.C., so they would leave the umpire room for 5 or 10 minutes (MAX). When he cries about having to leave the room in Columbus and walk among the fans while B.C. was visiting, we all had to do it one time or another. 99.99% of the people didn't know who the umpires were, so it wasn't a big deal. He is just complaining because of sour grapes for being released. After 3+years in AAA and no AZ. Fall League, umpires below him should be complaining about him taking a spot, because he had no chance of doing MLB games.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
One of our umpires spent time in the minors and just left the game. Here's his account of the Baseball Chapel:
"And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round..."

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 09:21pm.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi Garth:

Just wondering since your son is attending school if he mentioned anything about the OP to you

Thanks

Pete Booth
Pete: Matt attended school last year. He spent last season working in the AZL, one of the rookie leagues. He tells me that he has heard of the baseball chapel, but that they were not active in Arizona. He might see them this year.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of our umpires spent time in the minors and just left the game. Here's his account of the Baseball Chapel: I read the article and it wasn't as bad as he biitched and moaned about. I know Josh and he is no good.
Ahhhhh the internet. Ain't it great.

We know Josh's name. He was not afraid to put it out there. If this person you quoted is going to disparage Josh, then we should know his name. Otherwise this umpire has no credibility.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

He has complete credibility. I've worked with him; I know him. He's regarded as one of the best umpires in the Midwest. If I had even a scintilla of doubt about his honesty or credibility, I would never have even mentioned it in the first place. My sharing it here is good enough.

BTW, I wouldn't call his comments about Josh disparaging unless you're willing to call Josh's comments about the Baseball Chapel equally disparaging.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:33pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Also, I know a lot of umpires who didn't want to meet with B.C., so they would leave the umpire room for 5 or 10 minutes (MAX). When he cries about having to leave the room in Columbus and walk among the fans while B.C. was visiting, we all had to do it one time or another. 99.99% of the people didn't know who the umpires were, so it wasn't a big deal.
Was there equal time? How often did the BC folks and the umpires interested in hearing their message go out among the fans so the uninterested umpires could be alone in the room?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I personally would prefer that such individuals not enter the locker room every Sunday. If I choose to go to church, I'd prefer to do so on my own. Having said that, one must also remember that the New York Times is a very anti-religious, ultraleft-wing publication, so such articles will always carry a biased point of view.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
one must also remember that the New York Times is a very anti-religious, ultraleft-wing publication, so such articles will always carry a biased point of view.
You think the NY times is ULTRA left wing? You've lived a shetered life, my friend. I've seen left wing papers that make the Old Gray Lady look downright respectable.