The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

JJ,

it's not how the rule is written it's how FED is choosing to interpret it. Using the simple bad throw/train wreck is obstruction example - this is in no way the same as NCAA.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Jim:

"Using the simple bad throw/train wreck is obstruction example . . . "

Unless I am misreading you the NFHS rule clearly states that the standard trainwreck logic is continued in the ruling.

If I lead you to believe otherwise my apologies.

If both players are doing their job . . . and an errant throw brings those two into contact. . . it is nothing more than a trainwreck and the contact should be ignored.

Regards,
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:51pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

If both players are doing their job . . . and an errant throw brings those two into contact. . . it is nothing more than a trainwreck and the contact should be ignored.

Regards,
It is nothing more than a trainwreck IF the fielder does not deny access to the base. That is the FED interp. To say otherwise is to either not fully read all of the material the FED has put out or to just flat out ignore it.

JJ
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I hate the software that runs this board

Trust me I have read ALL the material that has been available too me.

If I remember correctly JJ you might have a greater contact to the NFHS Rules committee than I do, but trust me -- when I am at the NFHS offices February 8 I will ask Elliott directly.

That is not the NFHS interp that is being passed on by our state rules interpreter or the Official NFHS overheads.

Kyle was pretty clear in saying "if both are simply doing their job it is nothing."

But he also added: "Sometimes you just have to umpire."

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Wed Jan 23, 2008 at 08:59am.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trust me I have read ALL the material that has been available too me.

If I remember correctly JJ you might have a greater contact to the NFHS Rules committee than I do, but trust me -- when I am at the NFHS offices February 8 I will ask Elliott directly.

That is not the NFHS interp that is being passed on by our state rules interpreter or the Official NFHS overheads.

Kyle was pretty clear in saying "if both are simply doing their job it is nothing."

But he also added: "Sometimes you just have to umpire."

Regards,
Tim,

The problem seems to be a wide disparity in how this is being interpreted at various levels. It would be great to have a single, solid interpretation from Elliott on this.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Jim:

I really feel the issue that none of us can get our hands around is the term:

"Allow access to the base."

Without definitions this could mean a fielder could offer 1 inch, six inches, a foot or whatever and qualify as "giving access."

If you have a true "trainwreck" ANY contact would be deemed "obstruction" (i.e. the fielder is blocking access through contact) and it would be called. However, the power point presentation clearly states: "if both players are doing their jobs and there is contact, a trainwreck, then obstruction should not be called."

While I think it is crystal clear that trainwrecks are still acceptable and not penalized well thought of posters (JJ) feel otherwise.

Maybe their will be a clearly defined play when the early season interps come out on the NFHS website.

Regards,
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really feel the issue that none of us can get our hands around is the term:

"Allow access to the base."

Without definitions this could mean a fielder could offer 1 inch, six inches, a foot or whatever and qualify as "giving access."

If you have a true "trainwreck" ANY contact would be deemed "obstruction" (i.e. the fielder is blocking access through contact) and it would be called. However, the power point presentation clearly states: "if both players are doing their jobs and there is contact, a trainwreck, then obstruction should not be called."

While I think it is crystal clear that trainwrecks are still acceptable and not penalized well thought of posters (JJ) feel otherwise.

Maybe their will be a clearly defined play when the early season interps come out on the NFHS website.

Regards,
Tim,

Then give us YOUR opinion on the play at first that was discussed in the preseason guide (which was quoted above in this thread). I read it this past week and said to myself, "that's just a trainwreck." Then I read the correct ruling and it said "obstruction"...and my jaw dropped.

In my mind your report on the content of the NFHS overheads and the preseason report with the play at first contradict one another. Do YOU agree?