The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Looks like as duck, and types like a duck.
Looks more like a troll to me.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
It was a reply to GarthB's question when I did respond to the OP. Scroll back.
mr Garth is telling you its looks silly to put milb in your sig if you airent really one but we guess you are too dense to see that or are bein that way on purpose. i got a blockbuster card in my wallet but dont put it in my sig
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
mr Garth is telling you its looks silly to put milb in your sig if you airent really one but we guess you are too dense to see that or are bein that way on purpose. i got a blockbuster card in my wallet but dont put it in my sig
So by this logic, if you have worked high school baseball, but don't always work high school baseball, you have no right to put that in your signature?

Maybe I'm dense, but if I had the opportunity to work as a fill-in umpire in the minor leagues, and still do it when called upon, that would certainly qualify me to include it in my signature.

Your blockbuster card still gets you movies, doesn't it? Your signature can reflect the fact that you are a movie renter if you so choose.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 04:45pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Maybe I'm dense, but if I had the opportunity to work as a fill-in umpire in the minor leagues, and still do it when called upon, that would certainly qualify me to include it in my signature.
Taht might be the way you look at it, Steve. Fortunately, you don't appear to be in the majority.

A Minor League umpire has graduated as an honor grad from proschool, has additional training at PBUC, was selected by PBUC for a job and is under contract to Minor League Baseball. If you haven't gone through this, you are not a minor league umpire.

A fill-in is a fill-in.

Every poster on this board with fill-in experience, except possibly one, has too much respect for the real MiLB umpires to claim membership in that fraternity.

Let's face, the poster in question lists MiLB in an attempt to steal a little prestige from the unknowing. If he weren't, he'd identify himself truthfully, "MiLB Fill-in",

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 09:29pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Taht might be the way you look at it, Steve. Fortunately, you don't appear to be in the majority.

A Minor League umpire has graduated as an honor grad from proschool, has additional training at PBUC, was selected by PBUC for a job and is under contract to Minor League Baseball. If you haven't gone through this, you are not a minor league umpire.

A fill-in is a fill-in.

Every poster on this board with fill-in experience, except possibly one, has too much respect for the real MiLB umpires to claim membership in that fraternity.

Let's face, the poster in question lists MiLB in an attempt to steal a little prestige from the unknowing. If he weren't, he'd identify himself truthfully, "MiLB Fill-in",
Oh, I get it. He should hide in shame because he is a fill-in umpire for MiLB. He is not worthy. So I had to work my as$ off in order to improve my skills to be a full-time varsity umpire in my 2nd year umpiring. Does that mean that guys that work some varsity but mostly JV/Frosh-style games should not put NFHS Varsity in their signatures.

I just took his signature to indicate the various levels he had worked. I did not see it that he was claiming to be a card carrying member of that special "fraternity." It isn't like he scabbed or anything is it? He was asked to fill in for missing umpires. He did not put "AMLU" in his signature.

I like to list all the levels of baseball I've worked, which fall just short of MiLB and D-1 baseball. Jeez you astound me with your reverence for pro-school honor grads. It is only minor league baseball for chrissakes. It is really not that big of a deal. I was the (only) Honor Graduate of my AIT class in the Army, yet it only garnered me a letter to my folks and a promotion from E-1 to E-3. And on top of that, the other 34 students in that class still could claim to be professional soldiers. Even the NG and Reserve part-timers. Kind of like fill-ins.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I get it.
No, you don't get it, obviously.

Quote:
He should hide in shame because he is a fill-in umpire for MiLB. He is not worthy.
I don't believe anyone suggested any such thing. Exaggeration is usually relied upon by those who can't make a relevant point.

Quote:
It isn't like he scabbed or anything is it? He was asked to fill in for missing umpires. He did not put "AMLU" in his signature.
I don't know, did he?

Quote:
Jeez you astound me with your reverence for pro-school honor grads. It is only minor league baseball for chrissakes. It is really not that big of a deal.
Okay, here we go again. Yeah, we know you could have been a major league umpire....you've told us numerous times.

It is a big deal, Steve. Those men work hard and are rewarded justly. Someone making claim to MiLB without paying the price is a thief.

Why do I feel so strongly?

I spent much of last summer with several MiLB umpires on a writing assignment. I know how hard they worked to get through proschool. I know how hard they worked to make it through PBUC. I watched them work in 115 degree heat, day after day, honing their skills, making it through evaluations, dealing with pro managers and players and praying that they get the chance next year to do it again. They are special Steve. They have something in them that made them lay it on the line and go for it instead of posting on the internet..."I could have been a major league umpire." They have put their lives and careers on hold and gambled their futures to be called Minor League umpires. Those who haven't done the same haven't earned the right.

Quote:
I was the (only) Honor Graduate of my AIT class in the Army, yet it only garnered me a letter to my folks and a promotion from E-1 to E-3. And on top of that, the other 34 students in that class still could claim to be professional soldiers. Even the NG and Reserve part-timers. Kind of like fill-ins.
Not the same. They wouldn't be claiming something they're not. Reserves and NG went through the training to be professional soliders.

It's more like some trooper claiming to be an Airborne Ranger because he's made a couple of jumps. He'd get his *** kicked, I know. I've seen it happen.

Two interesting points. There are several umpires here who have filled in. How many claim MiLB affitiation or feel the need to broadcast it via a signature line?

Second, if it's not "that big of a deal" why then claim it when you haven't worked for it?

I thought you were more ethical than that, Steve.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Dec 04, 2007 at 01:31am.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:32am

Okay, here we go again. Yeah, we know you could have been a major league umpire....you've told us numerous times.

Hey Garth, I'm not supposed to say anything about that (because of your direct ridicule), but if you are going to open that one back up, then I will reinterate again:

In every single endeavor that I have undertaken with any degree of seriousness since high school I have been successful. Had I gone to umpire school there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been an honor graduate. And had I worked the minors, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have eventually ended up in the Show. Hey, I know that I didn't go to school, so I can't make any claims. But I do know how I go about things when they mean something to me. I have been top graduate in the military, several trade schools, and will be graduating from a prestigious graphic design school Magna Cum Laude in March.

So when I say that I would have graduated in the top 10 of a 150 student umpire school class, that is exactly what would have happened. I do very well when I apply myself. Actually, I'm glad I didn't go in some ways, because I probably would not have enjoyed the life, and I would not have the family I currently have. But as far as putting in the work that it takes to be a pro umpire, had I gone I would have certainly worked my tail off. I was already a pretty damn good umpire to start with and it would not have been too far of a reach to the top of one of Harry's classes.

I am one of those people who never could quite settle on a career, which is why I'm back in school, and of course, getting straight A's. I need a career that I can physically handle because of my current health. It is something I am taking very seriously, as I have finally found a field that I really truly love.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a big deal, Steve. Those men work hard and are rewarded justly. Someone making claim to MiLB without paying the price is a thief.

Second, if it's not "that big of a deal" why then claim it when you haven't worked for it?
As I mentioned earlier I have never claimed to be a MiLB umpire. I do list the leagues, associations and levels of ball I work.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
As I mentioned earlier I have never claimed to be a MiLB umpire. I do list the leagues, associations and levels of ball I work.
Yes you did. And Garth pointed out that doing so is disingenuous and deceptive, if not outright mendacious.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
mendacious.
That's a pretty highfalutin word for us umpires isn't it???
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

amen mr Garth. several pals around here filledin during the milb strike doing games, but NONE of them would be so persumptuous as to claim to be a milb umpire--they were at the right place right time no more no less. they know beter than to steal standing from others.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey Garth, I'm not supposed to say anything about that (because of your direct ridicule), but if you are going to open that one back up, then I will reinterate again:
Sorry, Steve, I took your post for heading in that ridiculous direction again. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...meaningless absent action.

Quote:
I have been top graduate in the military, several trade schools, and will be graduating from a prestigious graphic design school Magna Cum Laude in March.
Congratulations. Now according to your logic and arguments, someone who graduated by the skin of the teeth, say with a D- could claim to be Magna Cum Laude and you wouldn't care.

Quote:
So when I say that I would have graduated in the top 10 of a 150 student umpire school class, that is exactly what would have happened. I do very well when I apply myself.
It's obvious you believe that, Steve.

But these posts haven't been about that...these posts have been about deceptively listing credentials...or in other words, lying.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Dec 04, 2007 at 05:07pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 06:40pm

Quote:
Congratulations. Now according to your logic and arguments, someone who graduated by the skin of the teeth, say with a D- could claim to be Magna Cum Laude and you wouldn't care.
People are all the time lying on their résumés. Although I disapprove of this dispicable practice, it does happen and I am powerless to stop it.

Like I said, I took his signature to merely indicate the levels of baseball and softball that he has worked, not as any insult to card-carrying AMLU members. You know me, Public Defender Steve.

I guess that some of us feel differently about it than you do. He is obviously proud of the fact that he has worked some minor league baseball. That is something to be proud of for most people. Over 99% if all umpires worldwide cannot make that claim. I would count it as a major umpiring accomplishment to have worked as a sub in the minors.

Perhaps he should state "Levels worked:" in front of the various levels of ball to indicate that he is not a current full-time minor league umpire.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess that some of us feel differently about it than you do.
I know of at least seven posters here who have worked as fill-ins at the MiLB level. How many do you see listing that on a signature resume?

Those who feel differently, for the most part, are those who think it's okay to be deceptive.

Quote:
He is obviously proud of the fact that he has worked some minor league baseball. That is something to be proud of for most people. Over 99% if all umpires worldwide cannot make that claim. I would count it as a major umpiring accomplishment to have worked as a sub in the minors.
Quite often it is more of being in the right place at the right time. I filled in once when the plate umpire went down during the game. Why me? One of the front office guys knew I was there watching the game and they didn't have to wait for someone to get to the ballpark.

Quote:
Perhaps he should state "Levels worked:" in front of the various levels of ball to indicate that he is not a current full-time minor league umpire.
The honest description would be "MiLB, Fill-in".

In reality, he is only fooling the truly unknowing. Anyone who understands umpiring wrote him off when he included MiLB and ASA in the same breath.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:30pm

Quote:
Quite often it is more of being in the right place at the right time. I filled in once when the plate umpire went down during the game. Why me? One of the front office guys knew I was there watching the game and they didn't have to wait for someone to get to the ballpark.
Oh, okay. I don't live near any minor league baseball, so I don't know how it works. If I lived near Lake Elsinore I would probably have been hanging around there all this time waiting for my shot.
Closed Thread