Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
No. I've averaged about one EJ per season. I guess coaches just know that can't yell at me. YMMV, but I just don't allow it and let the guys know about up front.

Or maybe I'm just getting more calls right than you are
Remember I was not the person that was complaining about being yelled at. You do not see me complaining or talking about how hard it is to deal with on a basketball court. It is definitely a different atmosphere but I know that many good basketball officials are not always finding ways to eject people, which I think is a major flaw of baseball umpires. Good basketball officials know how to deal with players in coaches in a way that no one is aware someone has been reprimanded.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Jeff,

How is a baseball official going to reprimand a player without it being noticed? I don't really care how this kind of situation is handled in a basketball game.

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Jeff,

How is a baseball official going to reprimand a player without it being noticed? I don't really care how this kind of situation is handled in a basketball game.

Tim.
Actually Tim, there are several methods one can use during baseball.

Checking a dirty ball.
Going over the lineup with the coach standing next to you.
Going over to the dugout with the lineup card in hand.
A simple "Time, coach you will handle that problem there correct, thank you."
Dusting the plate while having a discussion with the batter or catcher.

There are many more other creative ways also.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=jicecone]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
In football (for example), calling a holding penalty when the run is going the other direction and the person held has no chance to become involved is considered bad officiating.

However, that has nothing to do with unsportsmanlike conduct and bad behavior, so I'm not sure why it's in THIS thread.[/B]

Sorry about that.

When I go out and buy your book, "Baseball Officiating by RichMSN," I will skip the chapter on game control because, wellll, your just "not sure."
Ignoring playing action fouls has nothing to do with penalizing USC. It's like me comparing ignoring obstruction to ejecting the kid on this play.

And the last part of it is personal, stupid, and I thought, beneath you. But I was wrong.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Jeff,

Tim.
Tim,

Jicecone pretty much summed it up with his list. There are many ways to send a message or and those things have worked for me for years. I also do not care what you think we do in other sports; I am just making an observation as to why umpires seem so eager to eject the slightest objection to your "authoritaaaaaa!!!" And is the reason that from the pro level all the way down umpires are motives are almost always questioned when there is a reasonable ejection. Instead of letting the actions be clear to everyone, you allow minor disagreements cause a player to be ejected when we can give other adults to handle the situation. I can tell you the ejections I have had in the last several years; they went without much of a disagreement as to why they were done by anyone watching.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=RichMSN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone

Ignoring playing action fouls has nothing to do with penalizing USC. It's like me comparing ignoring obstruction to ejecting the kid on this play.

And the last part of it is personal, stupid, and I thought, beneath you. But I was wrong.
I apologize if you took it personal however my point was that it is relavant.

How individual officials handle every facet of any game may not always be the same but, if the outcome is a fair and controlled event, then does it matter how the cat got skinned. JMO