Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What gives you the idea I've never had an ejection? Have you ever worked or seen me work? We all know what happens when you assume. Making stuff up is for little kids. I'm sure you're one of those umpires that has to eject because you can't help from becoming confrontational yourself. Don't tell me you haven't. You fit the prototype very nicely, I must say.

And what happens in the dugout is no concern to you unless it going to spill out into the field? They charging the mound and brawling in your games? Careful you don't get bit on the ankle by one of those little buggers.

Well, I did ask you earlier today if you'd had an ejection yet and you said no. I just assumed you were telling the truth. My bad...............

And if tossing a player for throwing equipment on the field makes me confrontational, count me as confrontational every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Tim.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

This is easy. He removed his helmet on the playing field. His team is getting a warning. He threw the hemet against the fence, his team is getting a warning and he gets to watch the rest of the game from the bench. The thrown hat sealed the deal.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

No ejection if the player catches the thrown equipment before it hits the ground.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 09:39pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Well, I did ask you earlier today if you'd had an ejection yet and you said no. I just assumed you were telling the truth. My bad...............

And if tossing a player for throwing equipment on the field makes me confrontational, count me as confrontational every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Tim.
Yes, your judgment is bad...........

Thanks for proving my point by not answering a very simple direct question.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is the very problem I have with many baseball umpires. You would never be able to work basketball or football if every time someone said something to you if there was an ejection on the spot.
That's so true. When I watch HS basketball, I can't for the life of me understand why the officials let the coaches talk to them like that. They drop "You...." in the first 30 seconds of every game. Me, I'd hike up my polyester black slacks and toss anyone who'd yell at me like that. If all hardwood officials had the balls to do so they wouldn't be in the state they're in. Although I'll be honest with you, the first time some pencilnecked basketball coach said "you're horrible" with those beet red faces they get, an ejection would be the least of his troubles. I guess that's why I'll never be a ref. Don't talk to me any differently than you would at the grocery store.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

My first instinct was to say no. The helmet and hat disposal was away from the action and, not being a mind reader, could have been dissapointment in making an out. There seemed to be nothing said to either umpire. No one came out to argue what appeared to be a missed call. The sound of the ball hitting the mitt is clearly after the batter-runner had past first base.

More thought, which I wouldn't have had time for, leads me toward a yes vote. We've got rules support for an EJ here. He clearly "deliberately threw...his helmet" (and hat) which NFHS 3-3-1m says calls for an ejection without warning. It is undoubtedly an unsportsmanlike act under any code. Regardless of the reason for the equipment throw, it's not a proper way to react.

This play is why we get paid. Even though the defense clearly got away with one, I would expect the defensive coach to come out and argue why the batter-runner wasn't ejected. He may have had one of his kids ejected for the very same thing. It's actually protestable under NFHS law. Are you going to say BR did NOT intentionally throw his helmet?

D
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Yes, your judgment is bad...........

Thanks for proving my point by not answering a very simple direct question.
Alright Mr. Never Ejected Anyone, I'll answer your very simple-minded direct question. Oh, which one of the four do you want answered? I will guess that you meant the first of the four questions you asked Tim: How do we know you've never had an ejection?

The answer is that you have told us before that you have never ejected anyone, you have been asked periodically over the past 2 years if that has changed, and you have never responded in the affirmative to our very simple direct questions. No, not once.

So, clown, you have never ejected anyone and therefore still have not been doing your job properly, like I told you 2 years ago.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Not only did he throw his helmet agains the fence in an obvious reaction to the umpire's call, he f0llwed that with throwing his hat.

Amen! He threw it in protest of the umpire's call which SHOULD be an ejection at all levels.

Now, if he was out by a good bit and threw it down in frustration at himself (and it's obviously at himself) i may give him a warning since it obviously wasn't thrown in protest of my call.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Amen! He threw it in protest of the umpire's call which SHOULD be an ejection at all levels.

Now, if he was out by a good bit and threw it down in frustration at himself (and it's obviously at himself) i may give him a warning since it obviously wasn't thrown in protest of my call.
OK. I was keeping my big rat mouth shut up until this bit of "logic".

If the play was close it was an obvious reaction to the call but if it wasn't close it was obviously not?

Just how much experience do you have managing kids baseball?
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Alright Mr. Never Ejected Anyone, I'll answer your very simple-minded direct question. Oh, which one of the four do you want answered? I will guess that you meant the first of the four questions you asked Tim: How do we know you've never had an ejection?

The answer is that you have told us before that you have never ejected anyone, you have been asked periodically over the past 2 years if that has changed, and you have never responded in the affirmative to our very simple direct questions. No, not once.

So, clown, you have never ejected anyone and therefore still have not been doing your job properly, like I told you 2 years ago.
Now, I'm just more confused.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious, for all who say "I would dump him" are you assuming you are BU or PU? I am assuming everyone is taking the perspective of the BU, who made the call.

If you are the PU would you toss if your partner, who made this call, did not?

Last edited by DG; Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 11:52pm.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
If the play was close it was an obvious reaction to the call but if it wasn't close it was obviously not?
Why would the reaction be toward my call if it was obvious he was out? I don't understand your confusion...
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I'm curious, for all who say "I would dump him" are you assuming you are BU or PU? I am assuming everyone is taking the perspective of the BU, who made the call.

If you are the PU would you toss if your partner, who made this call, did not?
could i just toss my partner?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I'm ejecting on this one. Automatic. Although I do like what Ozzy said.

I use to warn first, eject second. I have learned that warnings mean nothing to the kids.

Self control of your emotions is part of becoming a man. These boys need to learn that you don't get away with displays like that. If the coaches don't discipline then the umpire must.

Pony ball rules (18-E-4) states: Players who intentionally throw bats or protective head gear shall be ejected from the game.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
That's so true. When I watch HS basketball, I can't for the life of me understand why the officials let the coaches talk to them like that. They drop "You...." in the first 30 seconds of every game. Me, I'd hike up my polyester black slacks and toss anyone who'd yell at me like that. If all hardwood officials had the balls to do so they wouldn't be in the state they're in. Although I'll be honest with you, the first time some pencilnecked basketball coach said "you're horrible" with those beet red faces they get, an ejection would be the least of his troubles. I guess that's why I'll never be a ref. Don't talk to me any differently than you would at the grocery store.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.
You must have an ejection every game if you do not like people yelling at you. I see more coaches in baseball yelling and screaming and acting like a maniac then basketball coaches ever do. Coaches whine more than anything. Being a wing official on a football crew would really get you all bent of shape.

Peace