The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Off-Season Conditioning

I was just curious about what you do to keep active during the off-season. I just started Taekwon-Do this year and I am loving it.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
I was just curious about what you do to keep active during the off-season. I just started Taekwon-Do this year and I am loving it.
What off-season? Baseball runs from mid-February to the end of October, football runs from the end of August to mid-November and basketball runs from early November to mid-March.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking about cutting down to two cigars a day and only eating red meat five times a week.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Garth, just a question, but you must travel down south during the early months of your season to be umpiring in mid-February when you live in Spokane.

As for conditioning, I always say it's not what you do but how hard you do it that matters.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

i dont officiate other sports, so i do have an off-season, in which i get back hard into my weightlifting and cardio routines 5-6 days a week. during the baseball season i lighten up on the weights because if i do squats with my full weight, i'll feel it for a few 2-3 days afterwards...something i dont want hindering me if i have a game within that range. upper body groups i dont really have to lighten up on during the season, but i do take things a bit lighter with them at the beginning of the season.

i dont add/remove anything for in-season/off-season, i just change the intensity of what i do (so far).
however, that may be changing -- i might try to start playing some pick-up basketball games at the gym if i can. running on the treadmill is nice but it doesnt have the intensity of running a full court, or even half court, basketball game.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Garth, just a question, but you must travel down south during the early months of your season to be umpiring in mid-February when you live in Spokane.
Depends on the year.

JUCO and college are playing then and when the weather is too rough, they just migrate a bit to the south....Richland, Kennewick area sometimes (about 130 miles away) or Lewiston, Idaho.

We are used to early season games being played in cold weather. The only problem is the occasional year when it's still snowing then.

Hell, even high school starts March 8 this year.

Winters here are not like they are back east or in the mid-west. The temperatures can equal the worst, but the amount of snow is piddling compared to when I lived near Lake Ontario.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 02:39am.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:03pm
Veteran College Umpire

My season ends about mid-October. I take two weeks to get my gear cleaned, sorted, packed up and put away (LOOK! ANOTHER SOCK!). From November 1st until January 1st I make repeated trips from the la-z-boy to the fridge to the loo to bed and back. After the first of the year I start on the treadmill 3 days a week. February 1st I pop in game tapes and call along with them (I change the calls I missed on the tape ). That gets the lunges and the timing going. The last week in February my buddies and I head for Florida for ten days of umping lower level (D1 & D2) games. That gets the "sea legs" back under me. Then I go back to Illinois and wait three weeks for the weather to break.

JJ
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 02:42pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
running on the treadmill is nice but it doesnt have the intensity of running a full court, or even half court, basketball game.
Crank that puppy up to 8mph and 7degree loft then come back and tell us about the treadmaill having a lack of intensity.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 02:45pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Increase parallel back squate reps and sets for two-three weeks then vary loads for all Olympic lifts (and their variations). Nothing else changes.