The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Just curious. What do all you guys (and ladies) do to get in shape for officiating football?

Here are the routines I've been following this year:

About 4 months ago I starting SPINNING at our local YMCA 3 times per week. Spinning is a guided group exercise program done on these custom stationary bikes with variable resistence. The normal 1 hour workout starts with a warmup, seated flat, standing run (where we get up off our seats), then back to a seated climb (adding more resistence and slowing our legs down), then finally more standing climbs (standing and finally leaning out over the handlebars and pushing our butts back). I find the movements take me back to my playing days pushing the old 7 man sled around the practice field. We ride for 45 min. and then stretch and do situps/pushups during the last 15 min.

I highly recommend spinning as a great overall way to stay in shape for football officiating.

Our Y just started a sports conditioning class every Thursday. Its a 1 hour class where we alternate between different routines of 3 to 5 minutes each such as shuttle runs, agility drills, exercise band and medicine ball work, and finally stretching.

I've been also exercising my mind reading some good football books. Two of my favorites this year are "Football: Game of the Century" by Bob Oates and "When Pride Still Mattered" a biography about Vince Lombardi by David Maranis. And of course the good old rule and case books and talking to you fine people on these great websites.

I hope all are you are getting physically and mentally prepared for the season. Talk to you soon!
Old Sat Jun 15, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

This is my first season to call, so I have no idea what to expect. My conditioning routine is as follows
M,T,W,F - 3 mile walk,30 min swim in morning; 3 mile walk and 300 crunches in evening
Th., Sat - 3 mile walk, weight training in morning;3 mile walk and 300 crunches in evening
Sun. - 3 mile walk morning and evening and 300 crunches in evening.

I will start wind sprints on July 1 in place of the walk on Monday, Wed and Friday.

Nutrition is low fat, lean protien, vegetables and whole grain.

It seems intense, but I had some weight to lose as well. I have dropped over 20 lbs and 2.5 inches in the last 6 weeks.

Reading the rule book an hour a night and working through the CCA test (Texas uses NCAA at highschool level)with my mentor. Can't wait for August.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Sat Jun 15, 2002, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Conditioning for football

Sleeper, I just want to say I am very impressed with your attitude and hard work. I'm sure any veteran referee will enjoy having you on his crew.

Here are some things to keep in mind: On the field you will be expected to keep the action in front of you at all times. You never want to turn your back to the play. And you never want to get too close to the play either.

Therefore, it is very important to be able to move quickly and comfortably in all directions. To this end, practice moving from side to side, backwards, and finally forwards. I would do this in short increments of 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards.

Umpires need quick feet in order to quickly move forward to the line of scrimmage on pass plays and to shuffle-step sideways when the hole opens right in front of them on a running play.

Slow and deliberate movements are the best. However, it is good to be able to move quickly if you have to especially if there is a long play of 20 yards or more.

One last point, train your eyes to always look around the ball. That is where the action is. Visualize what a good block and tackle looks like and the fouls will be obvious.

Physical conditioning is the key to keeping your mind fresh during the game. Mental sharpness, enhanced by physical conditioning, creates a positive impression on players and coaches. As Vince Lombardi was often quoted: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Good luck with your season!
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

It's almost time and how are those conditioning programs working?

This year I started with weights to secure my muscles and bones can take the pounding.

Then added aerobics in May once a week to work on lateral movements and improve my cardiovascular strength.

Starting in August a bike ride to the beach and back about 12 miles two days a week in the morning in order to pump against the wind on the way to the beach and have the wind at my back for the return.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Is Ed really checking out the bikinis?

Wow Ed that sounds great!

Weight lifting is something I need to do more of, especially for injury prevention. I will try to add at least one day per week.

I started using a heart monitor last month and its great for training your heart during workouts. Here how it works (you don't even need a monitor, just find your pulse and count for one minute, or 6 seconds and add a zero):

Take 220 and subtract your age (I'm 42 years old so my example will be for me):

100% is 220 - 42 equals 178
65% of 178 equals 116; this is your heart rate for warm-ups.
75% of 178 equals 134; this is your heart rate for fat burning (aerobic training).
85% of 178 equals 151; this is your heart rate for strength training (anaerobic, when you are cycling/running up a hill or with resistence).
92% of 178 equals 164; this is your maximum training heart rate (try not to exceed this).

I believe that to gain aerobic benefits you need to train at least 20 to 45 minutes at 75% or higher 3 times per week.

Hope this info helps and I'm looking forward to sharing more workout tips and experiences. I like Ed's idea about riding a bike to the beach. Sounds like a fun way to get into shape.

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Aug 8th, 2002 at 05:34 PM]