The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.71 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

I hope you have lot's of $$$! I suspect I'm not the only one needing a new keyboard.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
But I believe that eventually, probably in my lifetime, there will be a woman on the full-time MLB staff. Ditto for the NFL (even though they aren't full-time, but you get my drift). Not as sure about the NHL, but I don't see why not. Some woman will make it through all the hoops and meet all the "objective" criteria and she will make it. And bully for her.

As with most pioneers, doing something for the first time as a woman/African American/Native American/child/senior citizen/whatever takes a combination of the right person in the right circumstances. Pioneering is hard work. Ria didn't completely break new ground; as pointed out several times on this board, Pam Postema (and to some extent, Bernice Gera before her) did whole lot of that work.

I think there are many people on this board, me included, who have known released umpires and wonder what the hell PBUC was thinking when they released. I don't know Ria so I can't say that for her, but I have known it of other umpires.

The ways of the PBUC are not yours to understand, Grasshopper. They are yours to accept.

I wish Ria the best. If she wants to continue to umpire, I sincerely hope some college association takes a good, hard, serious look at her. I imagine she'd be an asset to most conferences and associations.
Very nice post, thanks for it. A well deserved plug for Bernice Gera.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:11am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee
What are the rules on getting released in pro ball? and If she was the only one released than I would say she has a case
There are no rules on getting released in pro ball. They hand you a pink slip and say "Don't show up tomorrow". They don't tell you why you are being released.
JJ
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Indeed, John. To those who bemoan the way pro ball handles its people, I say: "That's life. No one said it would be easy--or fair."
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
As a matter of fact, they are, and many of them are rather liberal, too. In fact, it was my mother who, when she found out about Ria, said to me, "Women shouldn't be umpiring anyway." And this from a rather feminist woman, too.
Why did she say so? Do you agree?

Quote:
And BTW, regarding "discovery," I know very well what it means in terms of legal definitions. I've been involved in it on both ends of the table. It does NOT mean go to court and sue based on no facts or evidence, conduct discovery to find out information, then hopefully win/settle. It means to hopefully find out information that can add to or confirm what is already known.
Since you are privy to the interrogative process, you also know that you are required by law under oath, with direct and significant penalties if you are not truthful, to answer all questions without the aid of an attorney. How is this anything close to the non-interrogatory process? It is not, information gathered outside of legal discovery is nothing more than hearsay, opinion and social jibber-jabber. This information has no underlying penalty for truthfulness. Mr. Ump, you know this as your experiences with legal discovery could not possibly have missed this, no, no possibility at all.

Ria must press suit to be entitled to discovery.

Then you knew this, why the argument?
[/QUOTE]
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
I'm not an attorney so allow me to ask, don't the rules of discovery differ from state to state?
Slightly, but not enough so that the criminal procedures courses in law schools around the country would be significantly different.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
I'm not an attorney so allow me to ask, don't the rules of discovery differ from state to state?
Almost every sex discrimination suit will be pressed in Federal court, so the Federal rules of discovery would apply. The interpretations of those rules vary somewhat from Circuit to Circuit, but by and large they are the same on most major issues.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 10:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
jibber-jabber
Shelly Berman in Boston Legal.

Poopycock.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 10:32pm

Does anyone remember his list of Cleans and Dirtys?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Does anyone remember his list of Cleans and Dirtys?
Sure. Two I can think of right away:

Tarzan walking with Jane is a Clean; Tarzan swinging with Jane is a Dirty.
The Beginning is a Clean; The End is a Dirty.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 03:17pm

One is a Clean; Number One is a Dirty.

I remember them from the party album he did with Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. My friend and I wore that record out. For some reason, Shelly Berman tickled us pink.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25