The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 02:42am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42
Well put. I hope you don't discount my opinion because of my occupation!
That's the whole point. When you "strap up" as we used to say on the football field, you best bring your game not yor wallet.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 02:44am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Is there a point to this thread?
Yes and this is what it looks like

http://www.flixxy.com/boeing-jet-lan...st-maarten.htm

flying right over your point, er, head.

D00D, I was so ready for you.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 03:48am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Sorry, I didn't read the original post. The author is on my ignore list.
Blue collar mentality at full bloom. Anything that is new, original, or challenges you, you want no part of. Garthie, you are exactly what is wrong with amateur umpring. old Gurad ostriches.

I read your (SteveSanDiegoSups) post and it appeared he was saying "white collar" workers do not umpire as well as others.[/quote]

Generaaly, I would say he is correct. WC guys don't have the field time, financial interests or the drive to be better.

Or the ump orgs that will support them. Ring a cowbell? Moo?

Income has little to nothing to do with ump efficiiency. Can a case be made that upper income WC guys are smarter. Given fact. Better umpires? Given and historically NO. Potentially better umpires with their "superior" educations, WC backgrounds, all that jazz? Probably.

If brains were the best determinant, then we would need to recruit physicists. Brains are only a part. Probably not the most important part either.

Good umpires coem from experience, a drive to be as good as they can be. A self-motivation that begins with the refusal to be anything less than they can be.

Income has nothing, nothing to do with guts, determination, mental toughness and fight or, imo, most importantly, self-esteem and slef-judgment, self-appraisal.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 04:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfitmother56
I read your (SteveSanDiegoSups) post and it appeared he was saying "white collar" workers do not umpire as well as others.
I did not say "white collar" workers, I said these certain doctors were not good umpires. There are many doctors who are fine officials. I believe that you were making a case that all things being equal, "white collar" umpires were better than "blue collar" umpires. Your obvious disdain for the "lowly" blue collar man (and the "BC mentality" as you put it) is evident in your words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Can a case be made that upper income WC guys are smarter. Given fact.
Not necessarily. I have worn both collars in my prior employment. Some very smart people (my I.Q. happens to be a meager 143) do not enjoy the corporate life. I prefer making custom golf clubs, for example. Plus, I have nearly completed my studies at a prestigious computer college here in San Diego and will graduate Magna Cum Laude in March with a degree in Computer Graphic Design. I plan to pursue a new career in this field.

The point is that there are some very intelligent plumbers and electricians out there to go along with the doctors and lawyers. Sweeping generalizations such as the one's you made in your opening salvo demonstrate that such assumptions aren't always the case.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 04:57am.
Closed Thread