The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Bean bag. blue or white?

In HS, is there a reason why some crews use blue bean bags and others use white?Does the NFHS care which color is used?

Seems like white shows up better on grass than blue, but I've yet to hear a good reason why crews use the blue bags.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder the same. I just moved to a new region here in AZ and they use Blue, as do many metro Phoenix crews that I have seen.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Rolling downhill...NFL uses them, more and more college conferences start using them, now apparently more and more HS guys are using them. Only thing I have ever heard that makes any sense is that blue is easier to find in the snow than white. (Have heard that some back judges use one color for spot of illegal touch and another for spot where kick ends) Apparently they can't recall which is which when they have 2 white bags down on a kick play.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

The NF allows the usage of blue or white bean bags. This was a change this year to allow blue bean bags. Now your state might take a position that allows for one color or the other.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the word was properly passed down from the top to the troops, NY said WHITE only.

Worked with a guy who lives in PA last night and if I head him correctly he said that in PA they are to carry two bags (different colors) for the purpose that TXMike pointed out.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Some people I know from CENTRAL JERSEY (Not mentioning names, TPaul) have been using blue for a while. Our chapter has just allowed the use of blue starting this season. All they ask is that the entire crew use the same color.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The NF allows the usage of blue or white bean bags. This was a change this year to allow blue bean bags. Now your state might take a position that allows for one color or the other.

Peace
In 1987, I worked with the chain crew for the Bears/Raiders pre-season game at the LA Coliseum. The officiating crew used BLUE bean bags.

Bob
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for chiming in with the stupid question, but do the bean bags really have any practical use? I know it's used to mark where the ball was fumbled or where a kick was caught/touched among other things that i'm not totally sure of, but why do those need marked?

ps- i'll be occasionally popping in with very basic questions since i'm considering going into football officiating in a couple years. i just want to get a little bit of a jump on the rules and mechanics (just baby steps though).
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 10:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Sorry for chiming in with the stupid question, but do the bean bags really have any practical use? I know it's used to mark where the ball was fumbled or where a kick was caught/touched among other things that i'm not totally sure of, but why do those need marked?
How are you going to determine where the end of the related run is when you do not use a bean bag? How do you know where the PSK spot might be? I do not know about you, but I cannot just remember those things without a guide.

Quote:
ps- i'll be occasionally popping in with very basic questions since i'm considering going into football officiating in a couple years. i just want to get a little bit of a jump on the rules and mechanics (just baby steps though).
Well when you start officiating football, I hope that people do not consider your questions to be stupid. We all had to start somewhere.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your questions are very welcomed. The bean bags are used for penalty enforcement. They are needed when a fumble occurs beyond the neutral zone cuz if there is a foul before or after the fumble, the basic spot for penalty enforcement is the end of the run (where the fumble occurred). The penalty is administered from the basic spot, unless it was a foul by the offense behind the basic spot, and then it is enforced from the spot of the foul.

A bean bag is dropped at the yard line where a scrimmage kick is possessed cuz that is the one possible spot of enforcement for a PSK foul.

A bean bag is dropped at the spot of 1st touching by K on a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone, or the spot of 1st touching by K on a free kick if it occurs before the kick travels 10 yards cuz that is a spot that R can take the ball if they so chose. If R fouls after possessing the ball they lose the option of taking it at the spot of first touching.

A bean bag is dropped at the spot of possession of a pass by B, or kick by K if between the 5 yard line and the goal line as that would be the spot the ball would be placed at if the original momentum of the player carried them into the EZ where the ball became dead. This is called the momentum exception.

There are also many great things on Grant's website you could look at to learn a lot. http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The purpose for blue bean bags is for ease in spotting them. If the beanbag is dropped on a yard line, the white blends in with the chalk/paint and makes the bag harder to spot. The difficulty in spotting the bag is more important in film review/grading/critique. The NFL spent lots of money doing studies on this issue.

Some conferences are even going to the orange beanbags. This is done because while it is easier to spot the blue bags during day games, it is sometimes difficult to pick them out during night games. The orange bags are easily spotted during all games.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

In my area in Arizona, it is on a crew by crew basis. We were all told to buy at least one of each color in case we had to sub on a crew we would be prepared.

Last edited by AZ Line Judge; Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 06:40pm.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Some D1 college conferences are using bright orange bean bags.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I should have bought beanbag stock when it was $1 a share.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In NCAA rules, EVERY fumble spot needs a bean bag, because the ball could be returned to this spot if the ball goes out of bounds in advance of that spot.
Also, if a team A fumble in a 4th down is recovered by a team A player other than the fumbler, the ball becomes dead at the spot of the fumble.